Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else run out of diesel after driving on an incline with the tank still quarter full? This happened twice to me in hilly Wellington, NZ. I took it back to Nissan, they modified the fuel return line, but have refused to admit there is a fault with the fuel tank on these D 40's. I would love to hear from anyone who has had this happen to them but been told to go away by Nissan.

·
Registered
976 Posts
modding the return line won't do anything. running out of fuel means the pickup is not sucking up the fuel.

just check you don't have an air leak. do they have the old plunger to pump fuel up to the filter? if so give it a pump and see who long till it goes hard. if it dosn't go hard in a few umps you proberly have an air leak.

if its a major prob with these vechiles you could fit a small lift pump which will help but will not cure a poor fuel pickup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's what they said they did.....

The return fuel line was redirected into the fuel pick up cup under instruction from Nissan New Zealand so that there would be more fuel at any given time in this cup than prior to modifications done on your vehicle.

·
Registered
976 Posts
ok i get what theve done. if its still happening you either have to fix the tank or fit a surge tank.

edit: come to think of it a surge tank may not be easy to fit as you will need it between the tank and any fuel coolers. a normall surge tank in the engine bay would not be able to have the returning fuel go into it as it can get too hot.

·
Registered
976 Posts
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
279 Posts
dont go up a steep hill with qtr of a tank of fuel :lol:
sorry bad joke i know!! how steep is the hill though?

·
Registered
1 Posts
A guy I know ran out of diesel halfway down a 2 km downhill and had to coast to the bottom and start it up there. Was a bit hard without power steering working. It was central North Island, sounds like the pickup is in the wrong place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think we are onto something here. The fuel is circulated to the engine and back, but it seems the return line does not feed back into the pickup cup. This means that the engine can cut out on a fairly moderate slope - for Wellington anyway - with plenty of fuel in the tank. Tell this guy that I have had Nissan modify my tank. I think there is a safety issue here and I have reported the fault to the LTSA. By the way, the hill I drove on was 17 degrees, just a normal driveway in Wellington.......

·
Registered
976 Posts
i doubt its a return feed problem, they are just modding that to temp fix the problem. the real problem is the tank pickup and baffels.

i wonder what they would say of you asked them is a D22 tank could be fitted ;) LOL

·
Registered
110 Posts
tiga284 said:
A guy I know ran out of diesel halfway down a 2 km downhill and had to coast to the bottom and start it up there. Was a bit hard without power steering working. It was central North Island, sounds like the pickup is in the wrong place.
I would have thought with a diesel this would be a right royal pain in the ar$e assuming you would still need to do the "bleeding" thinging ?

With the D22 diesel there is a section in the manual that does cover the "Running out of Fuel" scenario and bleeding ect. I'm guessing it's similar for the D40 ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts