Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My automatic gearbox won't shift to manual. The stick moves across, but nothing happens. Any ideas guys.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Does the illuminated "D" on the instrument panel go to an "S" ?
If so, you are in auto, but "Sport" mode. If you then move the lever up or down, you will go into manual mode and the selected gear will be displayed.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Does the illuminated "D" on the instrument panel go to an "S" ?
If so, you are in auto, but "Sport" mode. If you then move the lever up or down, you will go into manual mode and the selected gear will be displayed.
Hi Steve,
Met another 5th wheeler in Spain last week (I was in a hotel, not with my 5th wheel). He reckons the S designates Semi Automatic and not Sports - which probably makes sense for the Nav. Either way it is a very useful option for towing up and down steep hills.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Hi Steve,
Met another 5th wheeler in Spain last week (I was in a hotel, not with my 5th wheel). He reckons the S designates Semi Automatic and not Sports - which probably makes sense for the Nav. Either way it is a very useful option for towing up and down steep hills.
Depends on the model. The above is definitely incorrect for my 2014 V6 with V9X engine and 7-speed autobox.

"S" definitely means fully automatic SPORT mode. It discusses it as such in the manual, and it works in a sports mode!

I use it all the time when towing in hilly country as "Sport" delays up-shifts and does earlier down-shifts, especially when braking downhill (it has level sensors and g-sensors).

With the lever in the "sport position", you can force it it into manual mode (as described in the manual) by pushing the lever forward (there is a "+"sign marked on the plastic surround, see pic) which forces an upshift in from the current gear, or by pulling the lever back to change down from the current gear (there is a "-" sign marked on the plastic surround).

Once you have shifted manually (up or down) you stay in manual mode (as indicated by gear numbers on the dash) until you either move the gear shift to the right or the software detects you are doing something daft like under or over revving the engine, and it forces a shift for you the protect the engine.

The "sport" mode thing is very common on half-decent automatic cars - it is always called "sport" mode because it definitely changes the shift characteristics of the gearbox. Nobody uses the term semi-automatic, as far as I know - it doesn't really mean anything theses days, but it used to mean "clutchless gear shifts" in some early autoboxes.

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Depends on the model. The above is definitely incorrect for my 2014 V6 with V9X engine and 7-speed autobox.

"S" definitely means fully automatic SPORT mode. It discusses it as such in the manual, and it works in a sports mode!

I use it all the time when towing in hilly country as "Sport" delays up-shifts and does earlier down-shifts, especially when braking downhill (it has level sensors and g-sensors).

With the lever in the "sport position", you can force it it into manual mode (as described in the manual) by pushing the lever forward (there is a "+"sign marked on the plastic surround, see pic) which forces an upshift in from the current gear, or by pulling the lever back to change down from the current gear (there is a "-" sign marked on the plastic surround).

Once you have shifted manually (up or down) you stay in manual mode (as indicated by gear numbers on the dash) until you either move the gear shift to the right or the software detects you are doing something daft like under or over revving the engine, and it forces a shift for you the protect the engine.

The "sport" mode thing is very common on half-decent automatic cars - it is always called "sport" mode because it definitely changes the shift characteristics of the gearbox. Nobody uses the term semi-automatic, as far as I know - it doesn't really mean anything theses days, but it used to mean "clutchless gear shifts" in some early autoboxes.
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the very helpful reply. My Nav is a 2012 V6 with V9X engine and 7-speed autobox but a 2012 and operates in the same way. It is significantly better at towing the 5th wheel than my previous 2.5 model. My handbook does not go into the detail you have provided it gives a schematic of the 7 gears and brief explanation of what each is used for and a brief mention of manual mode, so once again thank you for the more detailed explanation.

Hope the weather has continued to pick up in the Algarve.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Thanks! Overnight rain here but sunny again now....

For folk with a different 'box on their Nav to ours, I have no idea if there is a Sport mode or not on those, but you can tell immediately that the changes are completely different, if there is by driving a few yards...!

It's all just software.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi MJM.
This my first post on this forum, & felt I needed share what happened to me.
I've had the same problem with my Australian delivered 2011 Navara D40 ST-X 550, buying it secondhand!
This process took around 9-10 weeks.
I lost track really, because there was no info out there regarding this. Very frustrating!
It has been a very difficult and lengthy journey, trying to problem solve the issue, to establish the cause and faulty part/s.
Why did my 7sp gearbox not go into sports shift mode/manual shift mode, even though I was moving the lever etc!
I have a mechanical background, being and Aircraft Maintenance Engineer by trade, and do all the work on my one vehicles where possible!
In this case, it was taken to my local mechanic, who repairs and services a large number of Nissan Navara's here in Perth, Western Australia!
He identified the first broken part as the gear shift micro switches, in the gear lever shift tree.
They are tripped when moving the lever over to sport shift mode. This/these micro switches were faulty, according to the fault codes!
The switches can't be replaced individually, but comes as a complete shift tree, unfortunately!
This is quite expensive at around + AU$900 for the part & installation.
This did not, however, rectify the problem! By this time I was starting to get worried!!!
2nd part to come guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Yes, well, given that on this thread we all have the same engine/gearbox, there must be at least two with faults if sport mode is truly not being selected (as per seeing the dash displays pics above, as a start).. Microswitches are a good candidate but AU$900 sounds a lot! (although in the present circumstances that is probably about £1m over here in the UK :) !!!)

We wait to hear what the real cause was in your case...

·
Registered
21 Posts
The problem was traced to further down the line, which I will go into detail about later.
However, that issue further along loaded up the micro switches and burned them out!
There are only 3 micro switches, in the shift tree, one which engages the "Sports Shift" mode, when you move the lever across, and 1 each for the up shift and down shift!
So because it comes as a complete unit, it certainly wasn't cheap! Unit itself AU$800 + plus labour for installation & reprogramming.
My mechanic is a really decent fellow, who has done countless hours of research etc as there is very little info out there on this Jatco 7sp box!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts

My 65 plate Outlaw won't change UP in manual beyond the gear it would be in auto, but it will change down the gears......you appear to be saying otherwise. I will have to consult the handbook!!!!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I may not be getting the details of the precise issue, but mine will change up or down, so long as rpm is within limits so as not to potentially damage the engine. Maybe you have a dodgy microswitch under the shift lever? Anyway you are under warranty so your local Nissan shop should be able to sort it...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I may not be getting the details of the precise issue, but mine will change up or down, so long as rpm is within limits so as not to potentially damage the engine. Maybe you have a dodgy microswitch under the shift lever? Anyway you are under warranty so your local Nissan shop should be able to sort it...
Hmmmm! Will have to investigate this tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I'll check too!

It is possible that once you have selected Sport, your first manual change might need to be a down change. I imagine I have only ever gone into manual mode by doing a down change; I can't really see when I (or anyone) would do an up-change as the first change after being in auto mode.. Anyway, once you see the gear numbers on dash display (as opposed to "Ds"), I'm pretty sure the gears go up and down as you shift, just as you'd expect.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My Outlaw changes gears in Auto at 30,40,50 and 60mph. So if I'm driving along at 45 mph in auto I'll be in 5th. If I select manual I can go down into 4th but I could not go up into 6th until I hit 50mph even though that big old V6 would cope easily.
Shame really as I used to drive my old 2.5 Aventura around doing 40mph in 6th with no problems. But on the positive side my Outlaw is more economical, I get around 27 - 28 mpg poodling around, short runs and urban and around 36 on a long run on good roads when I can get it into 7th.
The only thing I find annoying is that it changes gear at all the speed limits so I find that it is constantly going up and down the gears if I'm attempting to remain law abiding!!!!!
Be interested to find if other people have this problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Back to the indecisive jatco 7 speed auto box again, the same names keep coming up on here including me, as i have said before IMO its not the gears changing its the torque converter lock up not making its mind up, provable by selecting manual mode and still hearing and watching the revs go up and down while a specific gear is selected confirmed by the display as you say at 30 and 40 mph

watch the rev counter right at the start

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
maybe totally unrelated but I had a Honda Prelude 2.2VTI with the /auto option and that was semi auto so shift across to sport and if you just left it there it would still behave as a normal auto but would hold on till the redline if you floored it you could however hit the lever up and down to manually change at any time provided as pointed out that you were not going to do anything outside the operating parameters of the engine lockup was also switchable, even old school autos would not drop down manually to a gear that would over rev the engine

1 - 20 of 25 Posts