Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 63 plate D40 Nav which I bought new in 2014.

A few weeks after taking delivery, the yellow engine light came on and my local dealer (swindler) Bishops Nissan of Guildford diagnosed a Glow Plug fault and replaced a glow plug.

Moving on a few weeks more, and the light came on again, and this time they replaced all of the glow plugs and the controller.

Fast forward to January this year and the engine light came on again (3 weeks before the end of the warranty). Bishops looked at the car again and told me that there was a design fault with the glowplugs which meant some cables would burn out and that they would replace the entire glow plug circuit, cables, controller, plugs etc.....

Five months later, the engine light is back on, and I've just connected my tester and got

P0380 - PowerTrain - Ignition System or Misfire ISO/SAE Controlled
Description: Glow Plug / Heater Circuit "A"

So - it seems that the remedial work that Bishops undertook in late January has failed. I phoned them and they told me that the vehicle was out of warranty and they couldn't help. I asked how much warranty they provide on the work they did in January, that is five months old, and was told they don't give warranty on warranty work!

I've phoned Nissan, and so far have been allocated a case handler, but they haven't returned my call in the 2 business days that the initial email promised.

Has anyone had any experience of this / does anyone know what the supposed fault is?? It's a great truck that hasn't missed a beat since buying it except for this issue - and I feel really distracted driving around with this yellow light on.

Saddened by the customer support experience.

Phil :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
dont know wether your inclined to do some digging yourself but you can check wether or not the glow plugs themselves are good with a multi meter set on ohms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi phil

I have a navara that has what sounds like the same fault as yours. I was just wondering what the outcome was with yours whether you managed to solve this issue as I am at a dead end. Any advise will be much appreciated.
Cheers Marco

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
It is hard to see how glow plugs can show up any error to the ECU except open-circuit or short circuit, or at least out of expected range for the current that flows into them - I thought they were simple on/off things like a tiny electric fire, with no feedback of temperature....

The ECU on many vehicles will trigger the glowplug based on the coolant temperature reading.
It's a very long shot, but it may be worth trying to see if the coolant temp sensor is OK..

And always make sure your earthing points around the vehicle are in good order, and of course that the battery is in good nick.

In the end you may need to get an opinion from another garage. You may want to talk to your local trading standards office too - as you have put it, your dealer claimed to diagnose the fault and claimed to fix it, and failed. You may have to go to small claims court to recover costs... :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, did you get a result from this outcome? I think my D40 is going down the same line as this and can’t pin point the fault as yet. Anyone fixed this problem before. Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts