Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys hope you are all still keeping well. Really need help as really am getting fed up with truck now. Ordered 4 new plugs and was excited when came today, after faffing around getting a new deep socket because mine had vanished I was ready. Started on the first one was rusted to hell but started moving a tiny bit each turn,got about half the thread out and the bliming thing snapped flush with the engine so nothing to even get a pair of grips on. Managed to drive a flat head screwdriver but it's siezed and can't budge it. Gave up on trying the rest as sure will do the same.
Any advice on getting the thing out?
Going to call my mechanic tomorrow and see what he's going to charge to do it but with a quick look online it seems about 150 per hole is about average and I really don't want to be paying 600 as getting bit fed up with my 2.5l money pit. Any help would be great as tbh I'm getting sick of the thing now. Cheers guys

·
Registered
12 Posts
Soak the rest of them with plus gas or Normfest inject crack from eurocarparts for couple days get a torque wrench set to 35nm as this is shear limit to undo if they move a little more releasing fluid and tighten back so tighten and loosen as for the sheared one you can try the same with your screwdriver but will probably be best to either have it removed or get the kit to do it this involves drilling part of the glowplug out rather than cause further damage

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Soak the rest of them with plus gas or Normfest inject crack from eurocarparts for couple days get a torque wrench set to 35nm as this is shear limit to undo if they move a little more releasing fluid and tighten back so tighten and loosen as for the sheared one you can try the same with your screwdriver but will probably be best to either have it removed or get the kit to do it this involves drilling part of the glowplug out rather than cause further damage
Thank you for your reply, I will order some of that stuff as soon as finished this reply lol. tbh I'm thinking I'm probably going to have to get broken one drilled out properly as really don't want to damage anything else,just getting sick of folking out money every 5mins. I haven't done it yet but was thinking of whacking it with impact driving to see if can budge it, just worried it might be bit risky?

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
Solid advice above. Normfest Super Crack Ultra (Super Crack Ice) is a good one to try, similar to Inject Crack but chills the area causing contraction of the fixing, allowing the oil to penetrate better. Plus Gas is the best for everyday penetrating oil jobs. Makes WD seem like water.

As per Vince Grant advice, heat is always good.

Also. two option of reverse thread type stud extractors, the higher price kits are extremely good. Forget the "Eazy Out" ones, they're made of cheese and I've never seen one work.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Solid advice above. Normfest Super Crack Ultra (Super Crack Ice) is a good one to try, similar to Inject Crack but chills the area causing contraction of the fixing, allowing the oil to penetrate better. Plus Gas is the best for everyday penetrating oil jobs. Makes WD seem like water.

As per Vince Grant advice, heat is always good.

Also. two option of reverse thread type stud extractors, the higher price kits are extremely good. Forget the "Eazy Out" ones, they're made of cheese and I've never seen one work.

Good luck.
if unsure get it to somebody who will do it if you snap the extractor off (it happens ) you run out of options. The head will need to come off

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for all the advice guys I really appreciate it. Just ordered some of the normfest and extractors. Got a couple of days free next week so going to have a try then using all the info you guys have kindly given. Will take it steady and if doesn't seem like it will budge I will get it done at garage as not going to risk further damage. I will keep updated and seriously thank you guys again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
@ashmain That's exactly it! Take your time, don't "bounce" force on tools, be smooth and as before, good luck!
Hi Mate, Regarding the broken glow plug in your trucks Cyl/ head this was a common fault on the Mercedes engines as well merc had a removal kit for getting the broken plugs out it look as if you will have to get it bored out it can be a tricky jod getting it out without causing further damage some companies specialize in glow plug removal might be worth checking that out, Before removing glow plugs you should always run the engine up to full running temp and spray the plugs with plenty of penetrating oil also when removing the plugs slacken and retighten slowly this helps in saying that they still break at times, Good luck Cheers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you again for all the tips guys. Have given my garage a call and taking her in on Tuesday to hopefully get it sorted,my mechanic is hopeful so will keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you again for all the tips guys. Have given my garage a call and taking her in on Tuesday to hopefully get it sorted,my mechanic is hopeful so will keep my fingers crossed.
Hi Mate, Good luck the garage should get it out ok, If the threads get damaged you can tap it out and fit a new thread insert which takes it back to its original thread size done a few on the Mercedes engines only thing you got to watch you don’t bore into far or the element part of the glow can drop into the cylinder, Cheers Mate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Mate, Good luck the garage should get it out ok, If the threads get damaged you can tap it out and fit a new thread insert which takes it back to its original thread size done a few on the Mercedes engines only thing you got to watch you don’t bore into far or the element part of the glow can drop into the cylinder, Cheers Mate.
I'm hoping he can, said leave it with him for a couple of hours so will keep my fingers crossed. Tbh I'm just hoping doesn't cost me an arm and a leg, getting bit fed up of spending money on the truck now but hey ho lol. I'm going to give him all the tips from on here and hopefully will help mechanic out plus been using the normfest stuff so will keep doing that till Tuesday and hopefully help things along. Thank you again guys for all the help it's really appreciated

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm hoping he can, said leave it with him for a couple of hours so will keep my fingers crossed. Tbh I'm just hoping doesn't cost me an arm and a leg, getting bit fed up of spending money on the truck now but hey ho lol. I'm going to give him all the tips from on here and hopefully will help mechanic out plus been using the normfest stuff so will keep doing that till Tuesday and hopefully help things along. Thank you again guys for all the help it's really appreciated
Hi, let us know how you get on ment to say on my post when fitting new glow plugs better to smear the threads with a some high melting point grease it saves problems down the line when there coming back out, Same as fuel injectors a lot of Tecs put them in dry which can give you major problems at a later date that’s why manufactures ars now selling injector grease, ‘ie’ cooper slip does the same it’s classed as a anti seize grease can withstand high temperatures, Cheers Mate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts