Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've had my Navara for 2 years (23k km), got it new in a warm country, and I've now moved to Sweden where it is quite cool :p

I've had it serviced and changed to winter tyres, and that's about it, no other winter proofing. I don't know if there's anything I should be looking out for, or changing.

One thing that bothers me, and I don't know if it's a standard behaviour, is that the navigation system starts trying to update itself if I open and close the doors about 3 or 4 times while the truck is switched off. While it's (unsuccessfully) trying to search for an update, the navigation doesn't work, neither does the reverse camera.

Now I'm looking forward to getting a roof top tent (or "bed top"), and going to explore the wilderness.

·
Administrator
13,630 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've had my Navara for 2 years (23k km), got it new in a warm country, and I've now moved to Sweden where it is quite cool :p

I've had it serviced and changed to winter tyres, and that's about it, no other winter proofing. I don't know if there's anything I should be looking out for, or changing.

One thing that bothers me, and I don't know if it's a standard behaviour, is that the navigation system starts trying to update itself if I open and close the doors about 3 or 4 times while the truck is switched off. While it's (unsuccessfully) trying to search for an update, the navigation doesn't work, neither does the reverse camera.

Now I'm looking forward to getting a roof top tent (or "bed top"), and going to explore the wilderness.
Welcome to the forum.

I think the importers fit a fuel heater, and you might want to think about replacing the viscous fan with an electric one.

·
Super Moderator
4,648 Posts
if they use salt on the roads I'd think about having it properly undersealed !

·
Administrator
13,630 Posts
I am pretty sure the Swedes know how to drive in snow and ice so there would be no need to spread the roads with rock salt.
Good advice though!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips.

What are the consequences of not installing a
fuel heater? Or not replacing the viscous fan?

Sorry if it's obvious, but I'm still trying to learn.

·
Super Moderator
182 Posts
Diesel can start to wax at temperatures below freezing. Even in the UK, diesel sold in the colder months has additives to prevent this. There was a time when it was fairly common to put a litre of petrol in your diesel tank to help it in the winter but this isn't something people tend to do now. Different countries have strict requirements for fuel sold on the forecourt so I would expect fuel sold locally to have more additives. There is a point though that the best way of dealing with this is just to heat the fuel up a bit.

Replacing the viscous fan would help the engine to warm up faster. As the viscous fan always spins a bit it cools the engine more than is necessary in some circumstances.

In cold climates I have even used a heater mat that you glue to the bottom of the sump to preheat the oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts