Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any advantage of putting both products underneath our motors?.. and us there anywhere in particular apart from brakes that it shouldn't be applied to?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK waxoyl on the chassis. Hammerit other places. Yep I've seen plenty of dried mud underneath so I'll get my dustpan and brush out for that. Think I've got some wire brushes in the shed. Would waxoyl cure ant surface rust on the chassis

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rust is definitely on the way underneath mine. Want to try nip it in the bud. Before it consumes me :-/

·
Premium Member
15,686 Posts
leec33 said:
OK waxoyl on the chassis. Hammerit other places.
No Lee, the Waxoyl needs to go inside the chassis rails.(Applied with a spray nozzle) Waxoyl will wear off the outside surfaces. Use the Hammerite on the outside surface of the chassis, it is harder wearing. Both are designed to kill the rust.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I get you. I'll do some price comparisonsite later see who sells it cheapest. What size tin usually can usually do our motor

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Waxoyl is old technology now. Dinitrol is what you want to be looking at and pro15 paint if you want to do it all permanently, not a cheap solution but alot cheaper than a new chassis. There is a process to follow involving a degreaser, a rust converter being sprayed on before the por15 paint then dinitrol over the top, with dinitrol being injected into the chassis too (a thinner grade dinitrol is sprayed on first to get into the cavities, this is also injected into the chassis, then a thicker product over the top of everything). Protecting a chassis properly isn't just a case of slapping a coat of hammerite on, it can get pretty involved. You will need wire bushes to get off the flakey deep rust too.

Rich

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK a but more than I anticipated

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there anything I can do for now which would cover me until I can afford a proper rust treatment.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK I'll hunt around see who sells it cheapest. Cheap pound shop paint brush enough for the big areas?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah its a spray..

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
you need to get the underside properly jet washed to remove any lingering salt/mud, otherwise anything you put on top will just trap moisture and make things a whole lot worse.

nothing is going to deteriorate quickly at this time of year. collect all the right gear then do it right/once.

Doing it half ***** or incomplete could be counterproductive and knock a couple of years off the life of the chassis rather than add.

Also using steel wire brushes will ingrain poorer quality steel into the chassis and potentially accelerate corrosion, especially if you bare back rust, ingrain **** steel and don't coat it properly, you are helping the corrosion process immensely. Only use stainless wire brushes

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've just been reading some reviews on it. People saying waxoyl is good but can be a pain in the butt. I thought it'd be straight forward-ish....how very wrong!!. There's a place in Harlow that does waxoyl treatment from 380...I'll have to get my holiday out of the way first at the end of the month. If I get a professional to do it.....I'm just hoping Nissan agree to repair my roof under warranty also....it's been over a week and no news yet :-/...can't afford to do both.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh yep seen these guys also. I've put them on the list. Their in Hatfield so about half hour from girlfriend's house

1 - 19 of 19 Posts