Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a D22 double cab, had it for 2.5 years since new.

I completed the Le Crossiere Blanche 2007 challenge in it; DO NOT under estimate the ability of these trucks!! I had off roaded it several times, but the snowy and rocky French Alps were a whole new ball game. The truck was astonishingly good and won enormous respect from the other drivers in their generally highly modified Land Rovers; however we did pick up several love bites due to its long wheelbase and relativly low slung body. However, we held our own against the Land Rovers and even had to pull out a Disco 3!

Do any other members use and abuse theirs?

Richard

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Welcome!

The D22 is one hell of a machine! I throw mine at everything and it loves it all! :D As for the love bites, it is a pain in the ****, I'm always crunching the A-bar an side steps, as for the tow bar.......... its stiil great off road tho!

So what does the 'Le Crossiere Blanche 2007 challenge' envolve? any photos?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
La Cros...

Good to hear from a like minded person who uses their truck!

La Cros. is a three challenge event, it is in the French Alps covering approximatly 250Km's in that time. Predominantly on snowy mountain tracks and then throw in some steep climbs decents and several changes of under pants and that is about it! As for a life experience I imagine it is pretty unique, I weunt with TBRUK who prepared my truck (minimal extras) they do have video extract on their website from previous year tbruk.com this years video is still in production, can not wait to buy a copy.

Where do you off road yours and what sort of terrain do you attack? Do you have or know where you can get rock sliders, before I have no sills left?

Ditch the towbar for ARB step bumper the towbar is in a socket so can be removed in seconds, I would like to get ARB winch bumper but I will have to trash my duct taped factory one first!

trying to workout how to attach photos as soon as I know I will post a couple

G

·
theres a howto on 'news' section, and theres unlimited space on the server....

as long as you [img /img] the file name, and it ends in .jpg/bmp etc it should show.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Cant wait to see the pics mate. If you join photo bucket its just a copy and paste job.
Have you had a suspension lift yet? I did so on my D40 50mm helps a lot.
For some good off roading set ups on D22 have a look at this yankie forum( D22 Navara= 1st generation Frontier). They have a few different types of rock sliders, skid plates and winch bars, etc.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/index.php?

Here is the link to TJM and ARB Aust. for more ideas.
http://www.tjm.com.au/
http://www.arb.com.au/

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys I have emailed some photos.

Navara-au

Thanks for advice and links. I have not got any lifts, although my next project is for Old Man Emu suspension, works very well on a friends Nav. should get about 400mm lift. My only slight reservation is that I would like D40 but not in a position to change at the moment, if I were to do that then I do not want to have spent a lot on D22.

The D40 is that much bigger for when I set of with wife and two kids and all my toys!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Miss Daisy,
I am currently looking at upgrading my entire suspension package and the current best option may not be OME (For me anyway).

I'm only browsing at the moment, but will post all of the information once I have sussed out what is available, what the prices are and who is willing to ship to the UK.

Currently, the options seem to be:

OME - via http://www.arb.com.au
EFS - via http://www.efs4wd.com.au/
TJM - via http://www.tjm.com.au
Ultimate suspension via http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au
Ironman
Bilsten / Rancho Shocked Kits via http://www.4x4parts.com

Then of course, Guydewdney has installed a full air suspension kit as well (With excellent technical information on here).

Once I've found out all of the information, I intend to order the full setup and would happily order more - you never know, we might manage to get a discount! :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi dunc
I have EFS and Im pretty happy with it. They have a good warranty (3 years /100 000 kms). You need to get the right set up to suit your truck. I have heavy duty springs on the rear ,because I carry a lot of wait for work and tow a caravan when not working. The down side of that is it is a harder ride. Also the more leafs the less articulation you get. As it is I have a alloy v6 and no bull bar and it lifted mine up 2" at the front and unloaded it is a good 3" in the rear, once loaded it comes down about an inch. Most of the suppliers have at least 3 load ratings in the springs and it pays to get it right.

On the cheap side you could just crank up the front torsion bar on the D22 and put longer shackles on the back and get some Koni or Bilstein shocks.

In Oz the most favored springs are "King Springs" and Bilstein or Koni shocks.

You will also find that OME and EFS get there coil springs from Kings Springs.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Yep
Definately up for the use & abuse
Only had the truck two weeks and am considering the Asfir skidplate to protect the underneath and some Cooper STT's to get a tad more grip
Love the thing already and should of bought one years ago
Check out my piccies in the offroading section, and I like the sound of this French stuff!!
Sniffer

·
Registered
566 Posts
Navara-au,
Thanks for the feedback on the EFS stuff and the tips... Once you have a trawl about, there is an amazing number of options via the www. :shock:

Solution will probably be influenced by which firms will actually ship to the North of our little island. :D

Fortunately, its a kinda leisurely search because nothing is actually broke although once I've started something, I like to see it through...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dunc & Navara-au

Seems very interesting, I will do more research, as it is I have never heard of OMU failing or breaking so that was my reasoning plus I can buy it and if I want have it fittedby TBR UK in Harwich they have supplied all to my nav they are incredibly thorough. It is over 100 miles to their workshop but they do everything that is needed, including fitting of Cooper STT's I could have got them elsewhere but the service is worth more than a few quid saving. They do a good job and there is no bull, I tend to let them guide me, rather than take a punt on adverts. Chris at TBR is very good he knows his stuff and will only sell what they have tested on their Disco or in TBR hq Germany. They are now developing the stuff for the New Ranger twin cab should have been a Nav, I will convert him in the end.

We must keep up to speed on what we are finding, Iwill not import unless I can be sure to get spares in this country and readily available around Europe otherwise it can be a long wait on the side of a mountain!

I am looking to Morroco and Iceland in the next few years.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sniffer

You are a man with impecable taste for the Cros I fitted Cooper STT's MT and the Asfir skid plate, they were awesome.

I will only run stt's from now the side wall is tremendous both on and off road. Before these I had the nissan supplied dueller's, these were hopeless in the wet and as for off road forget it. With the STT's I love seeing how far I get in 2wd you will be amaxed, on snow and mud you feel very sure footed. The road noise is surprisingly low for a mud tyre, not much worse than my roof bars. Obviously some vibration at very low speed on tarmac but once she is moving even in first it soon goes. Downside, as with any mud tyre, fuel consumption dropped from around 30-32 to about 26-28, also it takes the edge off acceleration, I am considering chipping, possibly P Box.

The skid plate is good it earnt its keep in the Alps, on deep snow it does act as a snow plough on ascents, but drop back a few metres and take a run at your pile and te Nav keeps going. Ideally I would like it to cover more but I was pleasantly surprised it protected the vital organs, it does also make you think very carefully about picking your line over the bigger rocks so the plate does its bit

·
Registered
566 Posts
Richard,
I didn't suggest that I had heard of any OME failures, neither has Navara-au as far as I am aware. Indeed, both my 90 and Range Rover sit on OME springs from Devon 4x4 and I am 100% happy with both the springs and the UK Supplier..

The reason for my comments were based on the feedback from others sourced elsewhere on the web. As I said above, I'm still looking for opinions and forming my own.

Although not the top of my list, price is a factor and it looks like I can save a significant sum by importing myself, especially with the current exchange rates with both Australia and USA.

I have a similar opinion with importing equipment except for these types of components where OEM mounts don't need changed... I will never be stuck because of a borken spring, I'll revert to OEM until replacement arrives.

With regard to fitting, I'll do it all myself, mainly because:
1. It is the best way to ensure it is done right. :wink:
2. If it goes "bang" in the field, I'll have a better idea how to fix it. :shock:
3. It saves cash for other mods. :D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Sorry for the late reply Miss Daisy,

No 1 kind off-roading I jus throw it in to situations where ever I go, I think you pesue it more than I tho!

As you can see lots of good info on here!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dunc

Sorry did not mean to give impression of failures

I will need to research more, OMU is just what I am use to. Saving in money does sound very tempting.

Unfortunatly I am rather challenged in the hands on department, I mean little experience rather than missing a limb or so.

Are you looking to change susp all round?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Naughty Nissan Man

I have to make an effort to pursue off roading; I am not blessed with the countryside you have on the west coast. I am in the home counties with the chiltern hills which have a few off road courses (for these I normally have to use my LR Lightweight becaus it is through Aylesbury Land Rover Club) . Other than that I have to head to wales for anything more challenging, yet to do in my nav, but not far off.

I would value your tips for good areas to explore, I have only been to the West coast once for a long weekend sailing. Although there was no wind so we stayed in Ardfern and was taken horse riding on the second day. I prefer much more horse power and a seat that does not diasable you.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Richard,
No worries :wink:

I am intending to change the front struts and coils plus rear leafs and shocks. A 40-50mm lift is also likely :D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
To be honest I've never been to any 'off-roady places' just muck about where ever I go, I do a lot of fishing in far out places mainly with private permission! But if your up this way I'll look somthing out!

I use to live 2 mins from ardfern, My parents bought a boat from there!

The coast is great I like to play around below the shore line (No one owns it son they cant tell you to get off! i think!), gone for miles before, jus dont get stuck when the tides on its was up!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dunc

We willhave to keep in touch, I am wondering to leave it until Sept when manufacturer's warranty runs out.

I notice my typo of 400mm lift, that would be different!!!! I obviously meant 40mm

Be Good

Richard

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Naughty Nissan Man

Wifey and I have been chatting about this years hol, she is a bit miffed I keep going with the boys. Scotland is on her wish list. It was nearly 20 years ago I was in Ardfern, as a teenager, I still remember now how beatiful it was.

The land between high tide and low tide I believe is owned by the Crown (possibly different or is wanted to be different in Scotland) so I would say you are probably wright mind you they have to catch you first!!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.