Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, long story.... someone drove into me (minor) in December anyway my np300 went to insurer approved garage and they fixed the small ding on passenger door, however it came back and the keyless entry button didn’t work (on same door) and fault with lock system was constantly on display, anyways Monday (6 months later) they picked it up to rectify there mistake, turns out loose wire and I got it back today, however I get home and it’s making awful buzzing and it’s coming from a relay, any ideas what and why??? Also airbag warning is on. Thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,382 Posts
No idea why, but I’d get straight back in touch with your insurer and insist an auto electrician, not a panel beater, is used to rectify their allegedly “guaranteed” repair. Be sure to mention the airbag system is involved. Hopefully their liability lawyer will prick his/her ears up at that.

Generally I don’t advise doing your own investigations on problems you plan on having someone else fix under guarantee or warranty, it opens (still more) loopholes for them to get out of paying.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea why, but I’d get straight back in touch with your insurer and insist an auto electrician, not a panel beater, is used to rectify their allegedly “guaranteed” repair. Be sure to mention the airbag system is involved. Hopefully their liability lawyer will prick his/her ears up at that.

Generally I don’t advise doing your own investigations on problems you plan on having someone else fix under guarantee or warranty, it opens (still more) loopholes for them to get out of paying.
Thanks for your reply, I’m not planning on trying to fix it they are sending a Technician today to look at it, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything, thanks for your reply

·
Administrator
2,382 Posts
Is the relay not labelled on the inside of the lid?

Sounds to me like they’ve shorted a wire somewhere in the door. But it could be a coincidence - odd electrical behaviour is sometimes down to a bad battery and/or poor terminal connections to it.

Might be worth checking your battery voltage and giving the terminals a clean, since they probably disconnected it to do your repair and may have damaged or flattened it.

Disconnecting the battery completely for 10 minutes (give or take) is also a common way to reset any weird ECU issues that may be present in most cars, but I don’t know for this one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the relay not labelled on the inside of the lid?

Sounds to me like they’ve shorted a wire somewhere in the door. But it could be a coincidence - odd electrical behaviour is sometimes down to a bad battery and/or poor terminal connections to it.

Might be worth checking your battery voltage and giving the terminals a clean, since they probably disconnected it to do your repair and may have damaged or flattened it.

Disconnecting the battery completely for 10 minutes (give or take) is also a common way to reset any weird ECU issues that may be present in most cars, but I don’t know for this one.
Thanks for your input, the garage are saying the battery is only performing at 50% of its original capacity so sounds like weak battery effecting the relay, thanks

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Glad you are sorted.

Battery condition, and quality of all earthing points should be the first check for most electrical problems.

With any NO/NC mechanical relay the internal coil has to overcome a spring for the relay to operate. The steady-state force exerted by the coil is proportional to the current flowing in it. That current is proportional to battery voltage (or more accurately, the voltage seen across the coil). Usually a relay will just switch or not switch, given the battery voltage - it is unusual (but possible) for the voltage to be at the precise level where the relay works, but then something is switched on so that that load is just enough to drop the voltage to the point where the relay coil is no longer powerful enough, setting up an on/off resonance!

·
Administrator
12,649 Posts
That is all true. Saying that a relay with too lower voltage applied will often buzz, guessing a combination of a non-linear spring and a bit of momentum in the mechanism sets up bounce.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you are sorted.

Battery condition, and quality of all earthing points should be the first check for most electrical problems.

With any NO/NC mechanical relay the internal coil has to overcome a spring for the relay to operate. The steady-state force exerted by the coil is proportional to the current flowing in it. That current is proportional to battery voltage (or more accurately, the voltage seen across the coil). Usually a relay will just switch or not switch, given the battery voltage - it is unusual (but possible) for the voltage to be at the precise level where the relay works, but then something is switched on so that that load is just enough to drop the voltage to the point where the relay coil is no longer powerful enough, setting up an on/off resonance!
That is all true. Saying that a relay with too lower voltage applied will often buzz, guessing a combination of a non-linear spring and a bit of momentum in the mechanism sets up bounce.
Thanks for your input, unfortunately I got home late last night and the buzzing was back! So I call Nissan Assist and to my astonishment the RAC showed up in 30 minutes (told 4-5hour) he wasn’t much help though he hadn’t a clue, neither did his computer or technical team he phoned, he resorted to pulling it out, told me to start it up to see if any warning lights came on (none did) then said to take to dealer in morning which I did, also on the way home I kept getting check adblue warning even though I know it’s well topped up, according to the manual check adblue means possible fault with the adblue sensor so maybe that’s the relay for the adblue I don’t know no one know what the relay is for it’s not labelled, not in the manual, not online, no info on what it is anywhere, as Nissan said if the RAC didn’t know what it was they shouldn’t have removed it. Anyway it’s with Nissan now hopefully here some news tomorrow, thanks guys

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another update, kind of... rung Nissan Friday morning to see if they’d looked at my truck, the said the biggest problem we have is finding where the RAC took the relay out from, I explained roughly whereabouts and even offered to pop in and show them, no no no sir we will find it, called back later that day to see if any news only be be told someone is coming in especially tomorrow (Saturday) to have a look, so this morning I phoned, again they cannot find the relay nor do they know why I have any other faults, so I said I’ll be there within the hour, showed up popped the bonnet and showed them the clearly empty relay connector. They then said a master technician from Nissan is coming Monday to try and sort as apparently they don’t know what’s going on! Doesn’t sound too good to me

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another update, the technician called me today, they have finally located the the fault, they have narrowed it down to a wiring fault somewhere behind the dash, he said his confident it can be fixed without needing to order parts in, will take them 5-6 hours to dismantle the dash to get to it though, hopefully getting sorted now though

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
When you drive home, if you get lots of new rattling and creaking from the dash area, drive right back and complain :)
The thing is hard to take out and replace to the original standard, dressing all the parts so as not get noises.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wanna say another update but more of a down date, after Nissan telling me everyday since Monday they are hoping to have it done by the end of the day I get a phone call at 6pm saying the master technician has just finished the wiring repair, he needs time in morning to check everything and then a couple of hours putting it back together should be ready for collections at lunch time. After hearing nothing I phoned when home from work only to be told the wiring fault fixed but another fault has been found and they don’t know what it is yet. I’m beginning to think Nissan don’t know what they are doing, at least the courtesy car is back tomorrow so I can have that

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Modern Britain, eh? Not enough people getting things finished before they slope off from work....
Back in my day, an 80 hour week was sometimes needed to get business finished, and time given in lieu....
No wonder we have far and away the worst productivity of any major nation - roll on China taking us over?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Modern Britain, eh? Not enough people getting things finished before they slope off from work....
Back in my day, an 80 hour week was sometimes needed to get business finished, and time given in lieu....
No wonder we have far and away the worst productivity of any major nation - roll on China taking us over?
Shocking ???

·
Administrator
12,649 Posts
80 hour week! Luxury. When I was young we had to work 168 hour weeks, and thank the boss for the privilege.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
"Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.'

But you try and tell the young people today that..."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts