Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all

I'm after some advice/correction on wiring I'm doing. I thought I had a general grasp of automotive wiring but now it seems I may not. My goal is to have additional reverse/camping lights, interior bed lights and then the other thing I've not yet thought about. Reverse lights will be switched in the cab and fed off a relay, the bed lights will be a switched led strip. I decided to run positive (fused) and negative to a fuse block and earth block behind the drivers side rear tail light then come off these to feed the accessories. Before connecting anything up I checked for errors (expecting none of course!!) I got 12.38v from the main input on the fuse block which I expected but then got 10.76v from the spade connectors!! Surely with no fuses attached these should read 0v? I haven't had time to check the fuse block itself as I assumed the error was mine.

So, can anyone point out the glaring error or point me in the right direction of what might be the issue. Or worse case scenario explain how to start from scratch the proper way!!!

Cheers in advance

Jim

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,572 Posts
+1 you've got a short somewhere
I did my 2 x 18w led reverse lights (which are more than bright enough) direct off the unused power found behind the right hand light cluster
I've since extended the wire into a switch on the dash and straight back
Just so I can switch them off and reverse without blinding everyone

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like your fuse box is letting electricity leak through.
Your approach is spot on.
Glad to hear I'm not totally useless, I'll whip it out :)grin2:) and have a good look. Cheers for the confidence booster landmannnn!

+1 you've got a short somewhere
I did my 2 x 18w led reverse lights (which are more than bright enough) direct off the unused power found behind the right hand light cluster
I've since extended the wire into a switch on the dash and straight back
Just so I can switch them off and reverse without blinding everyone
Didn't know about the unused power behind there, I'll have to have a dig around. Thanks for the info. I've got 2 x 18w led spots so probably something similar. Will be switched in the cab to save unsuspecting retinas!

Cheers guys.

·
Super Moderator
4,572 Posts
Glad to hear I'm not totally useless, I'll whip it out :)grin2:) and have a good look. Cheers for the confidence booster landmannnn!

Didn't know about the unused power behind there, I'll have to have a dig around. Thanks for the info. I've got 2 x 18w led spots so probably something similar. Will be switched in the cab to save unsuspecting retinas!

Cheers guys.
Yep its a unused reverse power on the right you'll find a unused fog behind the left cluster too :D

Reactions: MrGrumpy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers gfromleeds, if the rain ever stops. I'll be out there poking around!

·
Super Moderator
4,572 Posts
Cheers gfromleeds, if the rain ever stops. I'll be out there poking around!
Lol
When you pull the unit out I can't remember the colour but its a Wire that goes into the plug but dosent have a Wire coming out on the other side I think there was only 1or possibly 2? so should narrow it down for you!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Lol
When you pull the unit out I can't remember the colour but its a Wire that goes into the plug but dosent have a Wire coming out on the other side I think there was only 1or possibly 2? so should narrow it down for you!
Are there unused reverse light wires on a D40 2006 model, or just the NP300's?

I was looking to run a new switch to a new reverse spot light,I already have a switched camera off the left feed and attaching both that draws too much so kills the camera.

Cheers for any info provided :)

·
Super Moderator
921 Posts
Are there unused reverse light wires on a D40 2006 model, or just the NP300's?

I was looking to run a new switch to a new reverse spot light,I already have a switched camera off the left feed and attaching both that draws too much so kills the camera.

Cheers for any info provided :)
This thread is about a D40.........

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi,

Any clue as to the wiring?

I have two wires (yellow and black) which are not connected to anything behind the right hand rear light cluster.

testing these showed no power when in reverse.

My wiring does appear to have been chopped around a bit by the previous owner / or whoever fitted the towbar electrics.

Cheers for any help

·
Super Moderator
4,572 Posts
Hi,

Any clue as to the wiring?

I have two wires (yellow and black) which are not connected to anything behind the right hand rear light cluster.

testing these showed no power when in reverse.

My wiring does appear to have been chopped around a bit by the previous owner / or whoever fitted the towbar electrics.

Cheers for any help
According to my haynes manual the reverse wire is light blue on both sides

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do check where you get the negative feed from as the tub is not earthed out. I had a tow bar and electrics fitted by nissan, with problems from the start. To be fair it was a 2005 and they hadnt fitted one before, but still !! It was me that took feed from the tow bar bolts to get the negative feed. When I took the tub off I realised why !! But until then I had a dull high level brake and trailer indicators only when not braking.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Do check where you get the negative feed from as the tub is not earthed out. I had a tow bar and electrics fitted by nissan, with problems from the start. To be fair it was a 2005 and they hadnt fitted one before, but still !! It was me that took feed from the tow bar bolts to get the negative feed. When I took the tub off I realised why !! But until then I had a dull high level brake and trailer indicators only when not braking.
thanks for the info

·
Super Moderator
4,572 Posts
You have a Haynes manual!!!??? Please tell me this covers the 2010-2015 facelift also?
2005 throu 2013 so yes it covers post facelift but not sure why it cuts off at 2013?

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts