Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a Nissan Navara on an '08 plate. Been a faithful workhorse and general toy since 2010!

As is fairly well acknowledged the headlights aren't super bright on this model!

One particular thing that annoys me is that when activating the high beam the main beam is switched off - whilst I appreciate this is a 'as designed' feature I feel it would be more beneficial to have the main beam on as well as the high beam for some of the roads/lanes I drive on.

Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a how-to guide or perhaps give me some help on how to achieve this?

If it involves digging into the software of the vehicle I'm quite happy, I have some good contacts with the relevant kit!! If it needs the wiring loom to be 'tweaked' then I'm comfortable with that too.

Fire away guys and girls - let's have your ideas!

(I have searched the forum and haven't come up with anything conclusive to help me yet!)

·
Super Moderator
181 Posts
Unless this feature has been designed in by Nissan and is waiting to be 'switched on' you're not going to be able to do anything via the software. Which leaves you with making a physical change to the wiring.

You could easily add an extra relay (or two if you want to build in redundancy similar to that which is already present in the lighting system) that takes its trigger from the high beam and supplies power to the low beam feed to the headlamp unit.

Personally I'd just fit better bulbs and leave the wiring standard. I don't like aftermarket stuff though.

Edit: If you want a hand, post up a picture of the wiring diagram and I'd be happy to make the amendments and re-post with the alterations you'd need to make.

·
Administrator
13,627 Posts
The other question is whether the H4 bulb can dissipate the heat produced by both filaments.
One other thought is to upgrade the rarely used front fog lights and wire them accordingly.
Another is to find an old pathfinder headlight set with self adjustment so you can fit hids.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK - thanks, hadn't thought about heat dissipation so that's a timely word.

I'll think about utilising the front fogs.....

Or the Pathfinder route is a nice idea as well!

Oh too many choices....!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excuse the quality of the scan, does the attached work to get main beam on with the high beam?

(Obviously I have excluded the -tve wires where not necessary to portray my meaning!)

·
Super Moderator
181 Posts
I'm afraid that doesn't quite work. You are powering the main beam through the switch when it is switched on. I'm not sure what is existing and what is your additions in that diagram either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, sorry! The switches are merely the existing vehicle switches in the standard places: so high beam is on the stalk (pull/push) and the main beam switch is the turn dial on the end of the stalk.

The only thing I'm proposing to add is a relay (or 2 - one for each side) and some wiring.

·
Super Moderator
181 Posts
Please don't apolagise, that just makes me feel like an ****. It was a good effort and a nice clear scan.

20 years ago you could use switches like that as they were designed to carry high currents. On modern cars however they are multiplexed and just alter resistances received by control modules. At best they are very low amperage individual switches that would quickly burn out if used that way.

The relay switching in your car is done by the body control module so you can't directly access the switch outputs from the stalk.

edit: I'll make a scan of the wiring diagram for the lighting later on so you can see what's happening. My mrs. is working in the other lounge at the moment (where the scanner is) doing a socially distanced parents' evening.

·
Administrator
13,627 Posts
It would work.

You could do it more simply, there is no need to run the incoming dip beam supply to the Normally Closed contact on the relay, just straight to the bulb.

Simpler again is a 10a diode from high beam to dip beam.

You should also consider that you would be loading the high beam circuit with 100w which might overload the wiring or the upstream relay.

If you want more light, bolt a light bar to the grille!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did a similar mod on a VW golf some years ago and cracked the glass of the lamp with the added heat with the plastic lens on the D40 you might be in danger of melting them

·
Super Moderator
181 Posts
I don't do internet arguments and it looks like going that way at this point so will leave you to it. Best of luck (y)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have installed these

You get minor adjustments so you can get the correct beam pattern, it’s a little high on the beam angle (if that makes sense) but I was impressed with it over the originals. Had them fitted for about 4 years now. Never failed once. They only issue I have is that I have to some ice my headlights in the winter as the beam doesn’t get warm at all so it doesn’t melt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts