Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon everyone, during the last few weeks I have found that my Truck struggles to pull away if facing up hill. It's as if there's no power at all when slowly letting the clutch out, if I dip the clutch it will rev as normal but when trying to pull away it just won't move or rev over 1000rpm and almost stalls but never does and eventually I manage to crawl away.

Everyday driving is fine.

I do have a DTE fitted but have taken that off (removed Fuse) and it's still the same without it.

2007 D40
113000 miles
EGR - Blanked
Fuel Filter changed 18mths ago
No faults registering (that I can see)

Thank you,

Jamie.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes fair point lookskyward1, will do. Will update you once done.

Thanks for the reply..

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI, sorry it has taken me son long to reply to this, I finally got round to changing the fuel filter to a new original Nissan one but unfortunately it hasn't made any difference.

Just to clarify:

If I'm on a slight incline and either trying to do a hill start or trying to reverse backwards up a slight incline then I am unable to rev the engine at all while slowly releasing the clutch and I go nowhere and the engine is will stall!!

I just had it this lunch time, was facing down a small incline ready to pull out of our yard at work, there was somebody coming by with a pram on the path that I was across while waiting to pull out, so I tried to reverse back up but it would not have it so I had to just drive off..

It's fine if I have a slight run up but the engine literally will not rev if on an incline, even if I dip[ the clutch and rev it hard it almost loses all power once I start to release the clutch..

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a thought, I had a feeling that it might be the DTE so I took the fuse out of it, does this fully remove it from use or will I have to remove it all completely?

Cheers.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, yes sorry Lookskyward1, I have gone through the guide completely, there are no error codes at all, the air filter was replaced a few months ago and I cleaned the MAF when doing the Fuel filter change..

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I do NOT own a D40, therefore my knowledge of these is pretty sketchy, but, I seem to recall someone mentioning they had an inclination sensor (or was this on the new NP300?), this was to aid downhill braking stability (?).
May well/probably be incorrect.

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
My thoughts are with either a loss/lack of boost or fuelling.

Check the vacuum hose condition especially at the ends where they can split. That's the cheap.

If they are OK a new SCV may be in order. If you do go for one, make sure it's the right one for your fuel pump. Keep us posted.:-D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I'd remove the DTE device altogether for a test; simply powering it off while it remains in circuit may not work as expected...

Unless auto, or with hill descent control (but I don't think D40s ever has these), it probably doesn't have an inclination sensor. They are used as a kind of "hint" to get modern, smart autoboxes to change gear a bit more "presciently" like a human might change up or down at the start of a hill, rather than when the engine labours... Autos from yesteryear were nasty as they use to labour a lot when going uphill (or you had to kickdown) and they'd never down-change to give you engine braking on descent.

·
Administrator
15,894 Posts
It is a strange fault, I wonder if the egr flap is coming/falling off like several people have experienced. It might be OK on the flat but not as soon as the truck is on an angle.. I know it is blanked but the truck won't know it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, thank you for taking the time to reply, I have removed the DTE completely but to no avail..

Just popped into the garage that I use and they first suggested I check all hoses for any splits etc and then if no joy I will book in with them to be looked at properly..

I will keep you updated.

Cheers.

Just saw your post Landmannn, I only had it blanked in March this year and I'm not 100% sure when this issue started but it may well be linked.. How do I check that?

Thank you..

·
Administrator
15,894 Posts
You could take it off and have a look.
Do you have Torque app / dongle? It might help diagnose by seeing what the maf and fuel pressure are doing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah right, now you might be on to something Landmann.. The reason I ended up getting it blanked was because back in March I was driving along and then sudden;y lost all power and I ended up being towed home. When the garage inspected it they said that something had come off of the EGR and I just gave them my blanking plate and asked them to blank it off while they were looking into it.

therefore it could be that whatever fell off wasn't put back on, or that it's now flapping around like you said?

Cheers..

·
Administrator
15,894 Posts
It hasn't happened to me, but several on here have had to replace the egr where the flap broke off, you can't just blank it if that happens apparently.

·
Premium Member
15,685 Posts
It hasn't happened to me, but several on here have had to replace the egr where the flap broke off, you can't just blank it if that happens apparently.
It's my understanding that if the valve falls apart, as long as the electronics keep working a blank will work. The only time the EGR valve needs to be replaced is when the electronics stop working correctly (resulting in a fault code).

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's my understanding that if the valve falls apart, as long as the electronics keep working a blank will work. The only time the EGR valve needs to be replaced is when the electronics stop working correctly (resulting in a fault code).
Did anyone ever figure out the problem? Im having a similar issue with mine now :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It might be worth starting a new thread describing you problem, often as not the hill start issue is a general lack of power rather than a specific issue.
Thanks alot Landmannnn, will do! Im just going through some forums to see if this is actually a common problem. Car only lacks power when trying to 'climb', as in, not necessarily a hill, even those tiny little bumps, seems like the car just doesnt want to 'climb' at all, but on straight roads not a problem at all. Would anyone reckon it may be something to do with the gearbox?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts