Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the story starts off about a month ago, my Sisters car broke down and needed to go into a garage for the head gasket doing, the garage quoted about a week for the repair.
They didn't have any courtesy car facilities, so I took her to a local car hire place (Salford van hire in Leeds).
The first vehicle they brought around was battered, and I mean battered, the front bumper was held on at one side with a cable tie and the passenger door didn't close properly (bounced on the locking mechanism when you tried to shut it and left an inch gap).
I refused it for her.
They brought another car around (64 plate Vauxhall Corsa), we checked around it and off we went.
Managed to get about half way home and it just refused to go into gear.
Had to get it recovered and they gave her a newer Citroen C3, she had that for a week then it went back.

So on to today,
My Dad (who is 77) hired a 2019 Mercedes Vito minibus from Enterprise rent a car, 12k miles on it, he checked around it as per the rules hiring a car/van and everything looked great.
He literally drove it 4 miles from Enterprise home, and as he was reversing in the yard, he turned the wheels, this is what I saw.
Totally unforgivable that a vehicle hire company can can let vehicles go out like this!
Why is no one checking basic items like this?
This would have been a pointable offence if my Dad had been stopped, God forbid a full load on a stag or hen do racing down the motorway at 70mph!!!
Its doesn't bear thinking about.
I rang them and went off on one, they then sent a young lad around who told me that the lesser worn tire was ok and didn't need changing.
I told him under no circumstances were we driving it anywhere unless both front tyres were replaced.
As it stands they are sending a mobile tyre fitter in tomorrow to change them both.
Lost for words really.

·
Administrator
2,363 Posts
So the story starts off about a month ago, my Sisters car broke down and needed to go into a garage for the head gasket doing, the garage quoted about a week for the repair.
They didn't have any courtesy car facilities, so I took her to a local car hire place (Salford van hire in Leeds).
The first vehicle they brought around was battered, and I mean battered, the front bumper was held on at one side with a cable tie and the passenger door didn't close properly (bounced on the locking mechanism when you tried to shut it and left an inch gap).
I refused it for her.
They brought another car around (64 plate Vauxhall Corsa), we checked around it and off we went.
Managed to get about half way home and it just refused to go into gear.
Had to get it recovered and they gave her a newer Citroen C3, she had that for a week then it went back.

So on to today,
My Dad (who is 77) hired a 2019 Mercedes Vito minibus from Enterprise rent a car, 12k miles on it, he checked around it as per the rules hiring a car/van and everything looked great.
He literally drove it 4 miles from Enterprise home, and as he was reversing in the yard, he turned the wheels, this is what I saw.
Totally unforgivable that a vehicle hire company can can let vehicles go out like this!
Why is no one checking basic items like this?
This would have been a pointable offence if my Dad had been stopped, God forbid a full load on a stag or hen do racing down the motorway at 70mph!!!
Its doesn't bear thinking about.
I rang them and went off on one, they then sent a young lad around who told me that the lesser worn tire was ok and didn't need changing.
I told him under no circumstances were we driving it anywhere unless both front tyres were replaced.
As it stands they are sending a mobile tyre fitter in tomorrow to change them both.
Lost for words really.

I ran a small hire care franchise office for one of the big brands for a while, based at a regional airport.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen something quite that bad, but down time on cars between rentals is dead money. You give the yard boys a checklist - which does include tyres - and trust them to follow it. Ideally I want a car turned around in less than 30 minutes, including a wash, because all my cars were returned by people now waiting to board the same flight where my next batch of customers are disembarking already. Sadly, this is not the kind of work that attracts highly motivated, competent people, even though the pay wasn’t bad. Better than working in a supermarket!

Given the wear pattern I’d say that van has been checked by just peering at the outside shoulder, which looks fine. It’s not how it should be done but I can see how it happened.

Not defending the hire car place, it’s not good enough, but it won’t have taken much at all for something like that to slip past. We were pretty much 100% reliant on customers to report mechanical problems as cars are not tested between rentals and we don’t have a mechanic on staff, it goes to a local shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran a small hire care franchise office for one of the big brands for a while, based at a regional airport.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen something quite that bad, but down time on cars between rentals is dead money. You give the yard boys a checklist - which does include tyres - and trust them to follow it. Ideally I want a car turned around in less than 30 minutes, including a wash, because all my cars were returned by people now waiting to board the same flight where my next batch of customers are disembarking already. Sadly, this is not the kind of work that attracts highly motivated, competent people, even though the pay wasn’t bad. Better than working in a supermarket!

Given the wear pattern I’d say that van has been checked by just peering at the outside shoulder, which looks fine. It’s not how it should be done but I can see how it happened.

Not defending the hire car place, it’s not good enough, but it won’t have taken much at all for something like that to slip past. We were pretty much 100% reliant on customers to report mechanical problems as cars are not tested between rentals and we don’t have a mechanic on staff, it goes to a local shop.
In todays day and age if someone had an accident in these vehicles they can get legally compensated also directors can recieve jail time. Complacency, incompetence combined with budget is no excuse to profit from dangerous substandard vehicles. If you can't turn a profit by supplying a vehicle with associated maintenance then either the business model a failure or trying to undercut competitors via dodgy cowboy practices.

·
Administrator
2,363 Posts
In todays day and age if someone had an accident in these vehicles they can get legally compensated also directors can recieve jail time. Complacency, incompetence combined with budget is no excuse to profit from dangerous substandard vehicles. If you can't turn a profit by supplying a vehicle with associated maintenance then either the business model a failure or trying to undercut competitors via dodgy cowboy practices.
Thanks for your reply Mikey! It was really constructive and not resurrecting a dead thread or anything!

My business did indeed fail and my four full-time staff and eight casuals were rendered unemployed. It is now no longer possible to hire a car at that airport from anyone except a major American company who charge an enormous premium over what we did.

In the end, however, in all Australian states and territories, it is the driver’s legal responsibility to ensure their vehicle is safe and roadworthy. Corporate liability only extends to heavy vehicles and/or if I’d known or should have known about a defect that the driver could not be reasonably expected to identify themselves. Tyres are not such. For light vehicle rentals, provided you don’t knowingly put a defect on the road and take reasonable care to service them, there is almost no transfer of liability back to the rental company - and what there was was handled by our public liability insurer, who had their own requirements of us to observe certain procedures and practices.

I know this because, running a business, I took my legal opinions from a proper solicitor with a framed degree on his wall and an office that smelled of rich mahogany, and not some bloke on the internet who has never worked in the same role.

(Yeah, your casual 30 second hit on what was a financially devastating chapter of my life hit a nerve. Welcome to the forum!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your reply Mikey! It was really constructive and not resurrecting a dead thread or anything!

My business did indeed fail and my four full-time staff and eight casuals were rendered unemployed. It is now no longer possible to hire a car at that airport from anyone except a major American company who charge an enormous premium over what we did.

In the end, however, in all Australian states and territories, it is the driver’s legal responsibility to ensure their vehicle is safe and roadworthy. Corporate liability only extends to heavy vehicles and/or if I’d known or should have known about a defect that the driver could not be reasonably expected to identify themselves. Tyres are not such. For light vehicle rentals, provided you don’t knowingly put a defect on the road and take reasonable care to service them, there is almost no transfer of liability back to the rental company - and what there was was handled by our public liability insurer, who had their own requirements of us to observe certain procedures and practices.

I know this because, running a business, I took my legal opinions from a proper solicitor with a framed degree on his wall and an office that smelled of rich mahogany, and not some bloke on the internet who has never worked in the same role.

(Yeah, your casual 30 second hit on what was a financially devastating chapter of my life hit a nerve. Welcome to the forum!)
100% correct however it upsets me you were failed by those whom you entrusted to look after your business what puts food in your children's mouths and grandchildren. 98% of the population are incompetent c..ts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do apologise signed up today it didn't show original date of discussion.
Im a director of an infrastructure support company specializing in bridge tunnel and drainage inspections

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update on this,
The hire company did send out a mobile tyre fitter to change both the front tyres, as we told them under no circumstances were we taking the vehicle back on the road unless they did.

They put 2 x of the cheapest Chinese tyres on it, which also points to everything boiling down to money.

·
Administrator
11,675 Posts
Just to provide the alternative point of view...

It is the driver's responsibility to ensure that the vehicle is roadworthy before driving it.

Typically wheels, tyres, number plates, lights, bodywork.

The road traffic act says that it is an offence to use, cause or permit another to use a motor vehicle which might involve danger or injury.

So while the hire company carries some responsibility, a court would rule the driver at fault for the bald tyre.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts