Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just last week become the owner of an early Navara D40 with the Euro 3 engine.
After just a couple of days I noticed a 'cha cha cha' noise from the front of the engine, initially I thought it may have been one of the belts,
But after some further investigation (I placed a long bar against the lower timing chain cover and placed it to my ear, and the noise was horrendous).
At this point I turned it off and parked it up, only for it to be started for around 30 seconds to get it up on my ramps.

The strip down was fairly straight forward, with the only problems being the lower EGR pipe nut and the crank bolt (had to remove starter and lock engine).

Anyway, this was the sight upon getting the lower case off!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
what mileage are you on ?
Trucks coming upto 200k miles, so I doubt very much that this is the first chain kit it has had.
I only do very small amounts of mileage a year, in fact I've only done 3000 miles in the last 3 years, but the truck needs to be right.
I've got 50 sq meters of turf to be laid today, which will probably run into Sunday, then I'll jump back on getting the chain kit fitted to the truck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well not necessarily, mine has just pass the 200,000 mile and 2 months ago I pulled mine apart to look at my chain with the intention of replacing it. I have had my truck from new so know its not had a replacement chain, the way I believe to cheack is by the colour of the marking links, if they are white and yellow then that would suggest that it the original French chain. After pulling mine apart I measured my chain to find next to no stretch, and the plastic guides had so little wear I didn't change anything and left alone. So I now have a chain kit sat in my store !

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had my truck from new so know its not had a replacement chain, the way I believe to check is by the colour of the marking links, if they are white and yellow then that would suggest that it the original French chain.
I presume that's the top chain you are referring to?
Did you take both covers off?
I say this because the top chain on mine was great, hardly any wear or stretch, the tensioner at the top was only out by 6mm.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a question? Didn't the YD25 come out with a single chain. The double chain was an after market one?
The lower chain is a single, the upper chain is a double.
From what I have read, this has always been the case, someone with more experience will chime in I'm sure.

·
Administrator
11,515 Posts
Yes. In contrast, the previous generation (D22) of this engine had a duplex lower chain. The D40 can be upgraded to duplex lower using parts from the earlier model.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So just a quick update on this:
Here are some pictures of the guide compared to a new one.

I've managed to get the complete duplex chain upgrade kit fitted now, was fairly straight forward, the balance shaft was tricky, but I managed to line it up on the 3rd attempt.
I've got the lower chain cover back on this evening after almost 2 hours of cleaning instant gasket off it.
Should have the top cover and some ancillaries back on tomorrow.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I got the top cover on last night, and 90% of the ancillaries.
Went to put the crank pulley back on and disaster.......
The woodruff key fell out and went between the oil pump and the sump :crying:
So I had to strip the EGR pipe off and both covers again, as I pulled the lower case away from the block, I heard the key fall into the sump.

After 5 minutes of swearing and throwing stuff about I managed to get the key back out of the sump (youtube video of how to recover this an easy way coming soon).
After looking at the key, it looks damaged, so I've ordered a woodruff key set that should be here today.
This time I will just fit the lower cover then the crank pulley.

The saga continues.

·
Administrator
11,515 Posts
Hunt the Woodruff key is a good game, you know they can actually move and hide under something by themselves?

Hard to believe the guy got a medal for his invention.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Great photos, right, everyone?

Mr Woodruff is a hero of, and inspiration for early 20th century quantum physicists, in particular, Mr Heisenberg.....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well it all worked out in the end,
I actually superglued the woodruff key in this time, as there was no way I was going to strip it all down for a third time.
Pulley is on, woodruff is in place, crank bolt is torqued up.
Just got 2 rads to fit, intercooler, associated pipework, oil filter change, fill with oil and coolant and then start her up :serious:
Is there a fuse that can be pulled to crank the truck over without starting to build oil pressure, or do you just go for it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts