Nissan-Navara.net banner

how many of you on this forum have had engine problems

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have a Aussie spec D22 and have not had any issue's except for a faulty shock and a chassis to body bolt fell out.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Hi,
I'll start the response to this poll,
1 I bought a 53 Navara, 88K Rod Through The Side,
2 The dealer I bought mine off had another 04 Navara 84K RTTS
3 Autotrader Ad.
· 54,850 miles
· BLUE
· 02 reg (2002)
54,850 miles, Does Run but Requires Block- cap from Conrod come off and'Holed' the Block), FSH 50K Bullbar,towbar,Loadliner, CD player, Aircon, slight bangs to the tailgate and the rear offside wing (as

4 Ebay Listing
Nissan Navara 2.5 TDENGINE BLOWN!Before you continue, the engine has blown! So isn't driveable.But...· 4-Wheel Drive

5 A car dealer friend of mine Guy @ Garrison Cars, Aldershot was offerred a Navara last week RTTS

We are up to 5 so far!!
Regards,
Chris Vince

·
Registered
976 Posts
TPS fault so far.

also a few touchy moments when it boggs in low rpm and blows big clouds of smoke. looks like mainly due to EGR.

engine=ZD30

·
Registered
110 Posts
Have an Aussie spec ZD30 TD 60,000klms no issues, running like a dream :D

Have heard first hand an account of the same motor which was constantly overheating from new turned out to be a bore to small for the piston.

Three tradesman I know, same motor, driven every day carrying heavy loads or towing trailers all 3years old & no drammas.

·
Registered
976 Posts
murph_fan51 said:
hey tweak'e, do you actually mean the ZD30 or the 2.5ltr?
ZD30 3 litre :) the 2.5 are only in 2wd D22's in NZ (untill they start bringing in 2nd hand ones from japan ;) )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have (or should I say had) a 4 year old D22 Double Cab with only 34Kmiles on the clock. 3 weeks after a major service at a Nissan dealership the engine blew and I have just been presented with a bill for 9700 Euros for a new engine...am taking the matter up with Nissan UK to see what they are willing to do. The dealer said that the cause was running the vehicle for a long time with no coolant, however we know that the problem started shortly after the service with the electrics starting to play up and then the Engine Management Control light comming on just before a pop from the engine. The dealer also told us to drive the car to th dealers some 25kms away, water temp guage only started getting high during the last 0.7km and eve then the vehicle started normaly when they took it into the shop..

Nissan dealers eh.

Anyone else had problem with blown engins on their Navara?

Rgds, Mike L

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Hi Mike,
Your account is possibly the worst I have read in respect of such a low mileage when your Navara threw a rod.
May I respectfully suggest you read the thread on this page entitled D22 Blown Engine, give yourself plenty of time though, so far there have been 1,811 viewings and 163 replies.
It is by far the most active topic amongst Navara owners and may give you some ammunition in your dealings with Nissan, although to be frank no other unfortunate owner who has gone through this sickening experience (and there have been quite a few) has got anywhere!!
Good luck,
Chris Vince

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our translator friend told us last night that the Nissan guys are adamant that it was a radiator leak and our driving the vehicle with no coolant over long distances which resulted in our engine blowing. We are 100% certain that until the day the engine went there was never a problem with the coolant or the water temperature gauge showing that there was anything other than a normal water temperature, but then again how do we prove it against their mechanics?

However, can I ask those technical people out there, if there was a problem with the engine first, could this in someway result in the radiator springing a leak? I am going to check the radiator and ask where the leak occurred and I do not see how this could have happened in the manner the vehicle was driven since we had the service done. The car was only used about 5-6 times on very short trips of between 25kms and 50kms each time and normally at speeds of less than 60mph.

Also if the damage is as bad as they state when we dropped the car off, would the dealer guy have been able to walk up to the car, insert the key, start the engine normally and drive it into the technical bay…would the engine have started with all that damage? (e.g 3 blow rods etc). When he drive the car into the servicing bay the engine sounded ok except for a faint ticking noise.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards, Mike L

·
Registered
7 Posts
TPS

Only issue was throwing a TPS on the trip home from an island camping trip, about 1.5 months before warranty and 24 hour roadside assistance ran out ... Very nice.

I've heard the OEM TPS on the D22 has gone kaput for a couple of people, and one 'expert' said it was the cruise control that actually took it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had a '53' reg 04 model Navara my Engine snapped the Conrod at 45,000 miles managed to get it to the dealership (i was about 2 miles away) new engine put in 2 weeks before the warrenty run out sold it and bought a D40 seems to be running great at the moment

·
Registered
36 Posts
G'day all,

I have an aussie spec ZD30 that is not far from 100k and a hard 100k at that and it is running as if it just came of the production line :D .
The only problem i have ever heard was the ZD30 in the Patrols (i think models between 99-02 self destructing but never met anyone whos had and i know alot of blokes who have patrols with that motor.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
G'Day Blue 22,
These blown engines are occurring very frequently now on the UK spec YD25DDTi motor, you lucky Ozzies don't have too much to worry about.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
What I think is rediculous is that europe got intercooled motor's and Australia got non intercooled motors.

A hot day in Europe is like 25 degrees celcuis, a typical day in summer in Australia is like 35-40 degrees celcuis. Go figure.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Dave,
The intercooler is adding to the problem by increasing the HP.
The lead/copper plain big end bearings I sourced from ACL in Oz were originally used in a 1.4lt petrol Nissan car, and the U20 (from memory) Nissan normally aspirated 2.0lt diesel engine that ceased production in September 1979.
In actual fact these bearings are slightly wider than the original ones used in the YD25DDTi engine which is giving all of the problems now.
Unrealistically these days, Nissan are now expecting a bearing using much softer aluminium/tin material, and of slightly smaller dimensions to give adequate performance in a larger, turbo charged and intercooled engine, that is probably putting out 3 times the HP and 4 times the torque.
A recipe for disaster.
Although some blame can be placed with the European parliament, that for environmental reasons banned the use of lead in plain bearings, ignoring the fact that lead/copper has been used for decades very successfully.
However you would have thought that a major company like Nissan would have conduceted tests to ensure they had manufactured a suitable replacement material, which they obviously have NOT!
Regards,
Chris Vince

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Personally I would have used the bearings out of the D40 spec YD25. They are a higher state of tune. The bearings out of these would handle the lower state of tune motor in the D22 YD25 motor with ease.

My point out about the intercoolers being that Australia should have had them due to our average temperature. You can really notice the power diference between day and night driving.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Dave,
I fully understand what you mean by adding an intercooler to up the power in lovely warm Oz by cooling the inducted air.
The point I was making is that by adding one over here Nissan have compounded the inherent design flaws, and fully exposed the weaknesses of using poorly derived materials.
As for using the shells from a UK version D40, unless they have been made much more robust i.e. harder, I doubt very much that this would cure the problem.
Indeed I have a mate who has a D40 that has started making internal tapping noises, his car is being investigated by Nissan UK as I write.
The very latest shells may well be tougher, now that Nissan are (secretly)aware of the D22 defects, however officially they still deny there is a problem with the YD25DDTi!.
BUT, if they still keep their heads stuck in the sand and say/admit nothing how will we as loyal owners, ever know??????
That is why we as Navara owners over here are on our own, in solving these deficiencies, and totally appalled at the pathetic, couldn't care less, arrogant, attitude of Nissan UK!
Your Oz cars still use lead/copper shells, the same as our cars in the UK have done for an eternity, until we were dictated to by the EU parliament, so your engines will not suffer the same self destructive tendancies of our Nissans.
Regards,
Chris Vince

1 - 20 of 25 Posts