Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
First post on here so thought this is the best place to put it.

I currently run a 2002 Audi S8.
Love it to bits, but its now starting to cost me an arm and leg in maintenance. I hit 100k this year, so i'm going through the pain barrier of replacing everything that is wearing out.
I currently run this car privately as the benefit in kind would be crippling.

I took a look at the new Navara last week and was mightily impressed. Especially as i could consider getting it through my own company and take advantage of the tax breaks for commercial vehicles.

The reason why it caught my eye is the level of kit that comes with it. The Aventura model seems to come with DVD Nav, Bluetooth kit, CD, aircon, leather etc, all the features / toys that i currently enjoy in my own car.

However i do have a couple of questions...
1) I do high mileage - 25-35K per year. I hate stop-start traffic so i would be seriously considering the auto box rather than manual (as my audi is auto, and it makes for an easy drive normally). Is this a wise choice? Are there many Auto-users out there who could offer an opinion.

2) How reliable are they? In the 2 years (and 65,000 miles) i've owned my Audi, i've had the following go on it: Propshaft, Cambelt, Waterpump, etc plus new discs & pads front and rear, all front suspension arms and rods etc. I appreciate that normal wear and tear will take its toll on any car, but is the Navara up there with the study lot?

3) I live in a rural community, so the 4-wheel-drive is almost an essential. The audi did cope reasonably well with the recent snowfall etc, but was left wanting compared with 'proper' 4x4's. Is the Navara, with its part-time 4WD system, going to cope as well as those with full-time 4WD?

4) Last one for now. Anybody know if the radio has LW? I know it sounds like a daft question and a dumb reason for choosing a vehicle, but i do like to listen to the cricket, so LW is a real vote-winner. Anyone know if you can put in a DAB radio??

I'm sure i'll have plenty more to ask soon. Certainly i've taken a brose through the gadet section...I've done some internal upgrades on the Audi (i have in-car TV, DVD changer and a PS2) so will consider these options should i take the plunge.

Any input will be appreciated.

Cheers.
:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry for the multiple posts ! computer issues !

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi crasher and welcome to the forum

1. Auto is great. I have auto in mine and dont have any issues with it at all
2.I have had mine for 11 mths and 25k kms and havent had any major issues yet (touch wood)
3.The Navara is a proper 4x4 so you only engage when it is necessary in off road situations. Its not advisable to engage on sealed roads unless it is snowing, very wet or icy. Definitely dont engage on dry sealed roads.
4. Cant help you at all with the radio.....but wasn't it nice Australia let you win the one day series..lol

Seriously although the Aventure comes with all the bells and whistles, its still primarily a truck ( a very comfy truck) so it wont be as good a ride or handle as well as the Audi.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi Crasher welcome aboard.

The Nav comes with Lw in the radio.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Believe me, with 20" wheels and the thinest coating of rubber for tyres, ride quality is not at its highest in the audi anyway :lol:

I suspect the fat tyres and higher ride will be better at handling the pot-holed tracks that pass-muster for roads where i live than the audi any day.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You'll need to change the rear shocks for that as every pothole you find will send a shudder through the whole vehicle.

Have a look at club news for Avo shocks :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
I went for the Aventurer as it has loads of Luxuries :)

The auto box is fantastic ! 5 speed with overdrive.

Take one out for a weekend, the Nissan Dealers are great at lending them out, make sure they get you a Auto To try.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Newbie here

I am also in a similar position. I currently run an estate car (V70 D5)through my business (which gets treated like a van anyway). The company car tax is killing me and even with the new laws which I will try and bend :D I would be much better off with a commercial vehicle.
Unlike a lot of you guys, I don't really need 4 wheel drive but the load capacity would be fantastic for work and the double cab ticks all the boxes, as they are more SUV like these days.
The only things which concern me is the physical size of the truck (parking etc) and regularly carrying 4 passengers with work and the kids at weekends. It has to be a 100% replacement to my current car. If I can convince myself I could live with it I will shortly be joining the team!!!
Great site by the way - I have probably gained more information in 2 hours than a lifetime at the dealers!

G

·
My last car was an S class merc ;) (W140 coupe) - and mines an auto. I think the auto box in the nav is better than the merc's...... :shock:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Re: Newbie here

gary s said:
I am also in a similar position. I currently run an estate car (V70 D5)through my business (which gets treated like a van anyway). The company car tax is killing me and even with the new laws which I will try and bend :D I would be much better off with a commercial vehicle.
Unlike a lot of you guys, I don't really need 4 wheel drive but the load capacity would be fantastic for work and the double cab ticks all the boxes, as they are more SUV like these days.
The only things which concern me is the physical size of the truck (parking etc) and regularly carrying 4 passengers with work and the kids at weekends. It has to be a 100% replacement to my current car. If I can convince myself I could live with it I will shortly be joining the team!!!
Great site by the way - I have probably gained more information in 2 hours than a lifetime at the dealers!
Hi Gary welcome to the forum.
The Navara works very well as a duel vehicle. I use mine for work during the week and as a family car on weekends and holidays.
It does have a very poor turning circle and usually takes up most of the parking space (ours to are designed around a mini minor :evil: ). But with the help of a reverse camera or sensors its not too bad.

·
Registered
221 Posts
crasher said:
Thanks for the replies.

Believe me, with 20" wheels and the thinest coating of rubber for tyres, ride quality is not at its highest in the audi anyway :lol:

I suspect the fat tyres and higher ride will be better at handling the pot-holed tracks that pass-muster for roads where i live than the audi any day.
I'm not trying to turn you off, and the Navara will soak up the bumps better than a car on 20" wheels. Just that its usually people who havent had much experience driving a truck that complain about them after they buy one. Me I've owned quite a lot of light 4x4 trucks and the Navara is better by miles than anything else i have owned.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Gary's ,I used to run a clio 172 and you felt every pothole in that. The Navara is more Suv like and will soak up the bumps but I would say the the ride quality is not as luxurious as an suv as the suspension is designed to carry 1097kg.

The Nav will carry 4 passengers in comfort and I use it as my only vehicle.

It is big however, so you need to think about parking as it doesn't fit into a normal parking space as it is longer than the bays. Reversing and such like can easily be done with the aid of sensors and or a rear camera which aren't that much money or alternatively get your passanger to guide you.

The suspension can be sorted at the rear with a pair of avo shocks which are adjustable.

Overall, I am very happy with the Navara as it fullfills all the things I need for a car and a van in one quality package. :wink:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I run an Aventura auto.

Cant fault it :D

And Mr Brown pays for it 8)

For me it was a no brainer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have just sold my allroad and today picked up my new avantura. It is a much jerkier ride than the audi (no surprise there) but I guess the real differance is when you go over a bump in the road it feels for all the world as though the engine, gearbox and back axle are all joined together and only fixed to the truck with some big lumps of rubber. There is a sort of after shock or wobble and you really feel the weight of this huge mass of metal re-acting to the bumps differently than the main body of the vehicle. There must be a lot of people thinking of swapping from a decent car with all the toys to an avantura (£45000 against £20000 after vat off) also with all the toys, but at the end of the day it is a truck and not a high performance super handling comfortable car. I am loving the new truck, and it will be great for the horse box towing and lugging building materials and going to the forest of dean with the mountain bikes, but I cant help feeling that I may finish up upgrading the little shopping car that the kids use when they come home from college for a RS4!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Chris,
I had similar observations except I felt it was like a boat going over waves..

Starter for 10 - Change out the rear shock absorbers for some decent aftermarket ones. Straightforward, takes 10 mins a side. The front ones are a bit more involved as they are coilover strut assemblies but again, its not rocket science and you will notice a massive difference.

BTW, if you do decide to upgrade, don't forget to prime the shocks before fitting them :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
avo shocks

Hi Dunc
The shocks sound like a good idea. Can you recomend a supplier.
Many thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts