Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, got a rather noisy top end and im suspecting it might be injector rattle. Not sure though.
Was wondering if anyone had any sound clips of the sound that i should be listening for in relation to injector rattle.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Normally the rattle down to the way the diesel fuel ignites, not usually something mechanical.
Worn injectors can produce a poor spray pattern that make the rattle worse.
Modern piezo/CR systems can do multiple injections and have very precise timing which is why diesels seem much quieter these days - but it is down to the quality of the injector nozzles...
It can be the injection timing is slightly out - possible causes are sensors...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normally the rattle down to the way the diesel fuel ignites, not usually something mechanical.
Worn injectors can produce a poor spray pattern that make the rattle worse.
Modern piezo/CR systems can do multiple injections and have very precise timing which is why diesels seem much quieter these days - but it is down to the quality of the injector nozzles...
It can be the injection timing is slightly out - possible causes are sensors...
Thanks bud, im having issues with the engine stalling every so often.
I unplugged the cam sensor to check timing and it wouldnt start so im assuming the timing is ok. I replaced the cam sensor with a new one and it stayed running so hopefully this has fixed the problem of it stalling but its still got a noisy top end

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
How many miles? I'm not sure there is such a thing as injector rattle with modern piezos, other than the fuel burning thing I mentioned...

You could record your problem sound and post it here - someone will have a better guess than me what the "top end rattle" is... :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many miles? I'm not sure there is such a thing as injector rattle with modern piezos, other than the fuel burning thing I mentioned...

You could record your problem sound and post it here - someone will have a better guess than me what the "top end rattle" is...
Its done just over 100k, had so much trouble with this truck its unreal.
I will try get a recording of it.
Do these engines have push rods and tappets etc coz it sounds like that but its not noisy on idle

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I think all D40s were OHC.
I am not sure whether the cam followers are shimmed or hydraulic though. Does the rattle reduce during driving, or if you are above idling speed, or simply rattle faster?

You seem to reckon the noise is mechanical!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think all D40s were OHC.
I am not sure whether the cam followers are shimmed or hydraulic though. Does the rattle reduce during driving, or if you are above idling speed, or simply rattle faster?

You seem to reckon the noise is mechanical!
I think they are hydraulic from what iv heard but not sure what that means tbh,something to do with oil pressure like the chain tentioners.
The rattle is there when im cruising at 60 in 6th. Its not there at idle or the lower revs. It does rattle faster with the rev range.
It does sound mechanical though, i just get that feeling the chain guides are worn or something.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Then I suspect it is mechanical after all....
Someone will be along to offer advice, but post a sound file.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then I suspect it is mechanical after all....
Someone will be along to offer advice, but post a sound file.
With the troubles iv had the past 3 times with timing chain not being done right my suspicions are with the timing but im just hoping its not

·
Administrator
15,479 Posts
Injector rattle is normally most noticeable at about 1800 rpm when you give it some throttle.

If you reset the fuel pump using the Pedal Dance it will go away for a few hundred/thousand miles.

Yes the 2.5 engine is a double overhead cam engine with hydraulic followers, in simple terms they do not need adjusting.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Injector rattle is normally most noticeable at about 1800 rpm when you give it some throttle.

If you reset the fuel pump using the Pedal Dance it will go away for a few hundred/thousand miles.

Yes the 2.5 engine is a double overhead cam engine with hydraulic followers, in simple terms they do not need adjusting.
Thank you,remind on that dance please. Done it when i replaced scv but cant remember now.
Thank you

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the stalling seems to have stopped but the noise is still there.
Must get a sound clip on here at some point for you guys to check out.
Thanks for the advise so far guys

·
Registered
48 Posts
can turbo rattle? I think I found the source of the rattling. maybe someone had a similar situation? I thought the injectors were rattling. what can cause such rattling? maybe someone knows something?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello everyone. if someone still has a similar problem to me, they have finally found something. I did not give up;) The noise of the injectors depends on the temperature of the intake air. (I have a)
the outside temperature is around 10 degrees, air intake is 11-12. then it works loud.
if you go to 30 degrees, then it works quietly.
but I can't get that temperature when it's outside like ten degrees.

·
Super Moderator
369 Posts
As it's mentioned above...

The followers are mechanical on this engine, not hydraulic. To adjust them you need to change the shim thickness (shim sits in a recess on the top of the follower).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts