Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning ladies and gents.
I've got (suspected) injector trouble. I found some really helpful advice through this form including ECU reset (including hard reset), as well as cleaning the MAF and changing filters. None of this has helped resolve my noisy injectors and lack of power with black smoke so I've decided to remove injectors for testing. Three of the four came out with ease. However, the 1st injector (nearest the fan) has all but reduced me to tears. I spent most of the day yesterday twisting it back and forth and applying penetrating spray. The inject will turn very stiffly in its seat, but that's about it. Not knowing much about these injectors I assumed a sliding hammer would help. Having now removed the solenoid cover (yes, I know the injector is well and truly bu66ered now) I was dis-heartened to see there was nowhere for the sliding hammer to screw into....

I see that Pichler tools do a bracket that you insert through the injector inlet and bolt to a sliding hammer... alas, I don't have such a tool.

Has anyone here suffered anything similar and how did did you get the injector out in the end? You have no idea how grateful I'd be to hear!

Many thanks,
Ashley. (A nearly broken man!!!)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sorry, I've never had this issue, but assuming the bolt and bracket under the rocker cover are the only thing holding the injector in (IE it doesn't unscrew) then couldn't you remove the fuel pump fuse, and crank the engine to pop it out (I'm guessing you'd need something to catch it)?
Inspiration taken from trying to remove the crank bolt by using the engine, a few months back. Worked a treat.
Just a thought. Maybe a last resort...

Regards,

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
i'd be concerned about the state of the seat. If the washer has blown letting gas up past, the heat etc may damaged it beyond repair. I've heard stories like this before and unfortunately its game over for the cylinder head.

Good luck getting it out. maybe resort to welding something onto it, but its not in the best place, and if you do get it out, it might not be too pretty in there.

·
Registered
812 Posts
A lot of injectors come out with the use of hydraulic pullers (really pushers) that use split collars to attach. I would try using this methodology and use leverage to pull it out. The use of an air chissle or other shock treatment might help it move in the right direction especialy twisting and pulling together. An induction heater is very good to heat it up and use expansion to swell it and crush the carosion in the head. Then when it cools it should come out easily might be the next day though.
I know some injector faults are caused by carosion and galvanic carosion is really " sticky" good luck and I hope you don't have to try drilling it out.
I might try pushing it out with the compression but retain it so it cannot sky rocket. Try and be safe.

If it turns keep lubricatating it and it should free off eventually .

There are mobile injection removing services but I think they will be very expensive and won't guarantee to get it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Firstly, many thanks to uselescrapytwit, propshaft and pathfinder for taking the time to offer advice - its really appreciated guys. The injector does turn/twist so it's deffo not seized solid. I'm going to try and use the engines compression to shoot the injector out - does any one know the location of the fuel pump fuse please - I want to make things as safe as possible before hand!

Many thanks guys.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Firstly, many thanks to uselescrapytwit, propshaft and pathfinder for taking the time to offer advice - its really appreciated guys. The injector does turn/twist so it's deffo not seized solid. I'm going to try and use the engines compression to shoot the injector out - does any one know the location of the fuel pump fuse please - I want to make things as safe as possible before hand!

Many thanks guys.
Hi, Looking at the workshop manual, I can't find a fuse, sorry I did assume it must have one. (I'm at work at the moment) Can someone confirm it actually has one?
If all else fails put the other injectors back on the pipes but DO NOT connect their electrical supply. They will hold the pressure and allow you spin the engine over without Diesel going all over the place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is years too late for the OP but here's a little tip for anyone in the future who has the same issue.

The problem in most cases is carbon buildup or the o-ring has hardened. Spray a bit of carby/throttle cleaner around the injector (not too much) and let it work its way down for 15-20 minutes. Come back with a spanner and it should start to turn back and forth. If it is still bound up, hit it with the cleaner again and repeat, it will eventually become loose enough to turn and pull by hand.

Don't use brute force or try to rush this if you want to re-use the injector.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts