Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am in the middle of changing the inner CV boot on my 07 D40. Just removed it expecting to see a retainer ring retaining the tripod and 3 rings but there doesn't seem to be one nor can I see a groove where one should sit? Is this right?

So, I'm tempted to simply withdraw the shaft but it goes only so far (just about half way out then the 3 rings tighten on the outside of the housing. Why can't I see a retaining ring? And am I OK just to give it a yank and pull it out?

Yours cautiously

Regards

·
Super Moderator
232 Posts
Yep that's right the only circlips or snap ring is the one on the end of the shaft diff end and one that holds the spider bearing on the end of the shaft the complete joint is held together by the CV boot unlike the outside joint, mark the position of the joint before you seperate it though with white marker

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep that's right the only circlips or snap ring is the one on the end of the shaft diff end and one that holds the spider bearing on the end of the shaft the complete joint is held together by the CV boot unlike the outside joint, mark the position of the joint before you seperate it though with white marker
Thank you. Good point about marking the position. So, I gave it a good tug (pardon the expression) but it locked up and didn't want to come out. With some effort it went back in. Do I just need to be more forceful with it?

·
Super Moderator
232 Posts
Basically yes, better if you remove the whole shaft from the diff also marking its position on the diff and use a vise along with a dead blow rubber mallet to knock the joint off then mark spider bearing in relation to the shaft remove circlip holding bearing on and remove that

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically yes, better if you remove the whole shaft from the diff also marking its position on the diff and use a vise along with a dead blow rubber mallet to knock the joint off then mark spider bearing in relation to the shaft remove circlip holding bearing on and remove that
Thanks for that. I'll have another go at it this morning. Reluctant to remove the whole shaft if I can avoid it just in case I end up with an oil leak after the re-fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts