Nissan-Navara.net banner

Instrument cluster lights failed 2013 V6

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  triumphman 
#1 ·
Hi All,
On my way home tonight the instrument cluster lights went off accompanied by a beep.
I have had an intermittent fault with them flashing on and off over the last week, they usually come back on, but not now. I cant see any of the gauges and the indicators don't appear to work.
Tried switching off, waiting a while and switching back on, but no luck.
Anyone have any ideas where to start?
Thanks.

#4 ·
By the way, the instrument test process

#5 ·
So, the lights on the cluster are now off more or less permantley but I also noticed that the sat nav screen when on map is frozen, but does rotate when turning and the mpg info screen does not work.
Looks like more of an issue than I first thought. Could it be a bad earth?

#7 ·
Thought I would give an update.
Saturday I pulled the panel right of the accelerator, as suggested by Landmann. Disconnected the 4 multiplugs, cleaned and put back. Did this a few times. No real concerns there, all looked reasonably ok.
Whilst in the truck I stripped the dash and took out the instrument cluster, mainly to get the part no., but cleaned and put the multiplugs in and out a few times. I had the battery negative off, while doing all this.
Well, I thought this morning I had fixed the issues as everything worked a dream. I was even using manual mode on the autobox. 50 minute drive to work.
This evening though within 10 minutes all was fine until in a long queue of traffic I put it in neutral. Shortly after the dash lights went out, sat nav lagging and fuel computer off. Although the cluster lights came on again it was short lived and after a couple of beeps went off for the rest of the journey. Awkward, as in the dark its difficult to see the speedo!
Not sure what to do next, so any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.

#9 ·
So, this morning lights stayed on throughout journey to work, but no Ds or manual mode on box.
I didn't disconnect the battery but did do the test function on the cluster. Didn't realise how in depth it was. Anyway, after test complete there was a number 1 next to the D (see attached photo).
So am I right to assume there is 1 fault?
I guess that when all the lights go out on the cluster, as it also makes the 2 lcd displays go blank in the speedo and rev counter that it cant give info to the fuel computer and possibly sat nav, which is why they go off, as well.
Thanks. Speedometer Car Tachometer Odometer Trip computer

#11 ·
I used to repair dash instrument panels and LCD displays on V8 Lexus LS400's, what you are experiencing is very similar to dash failures LS400's used to suffer with.
A new LS instrument panel was £2,400 +VAT (around the year 2000!), and they failed because of a 2p capacitor! I have repaired hundreds.
They used to work OK until the dash got hot, then would fail, in summer usually no dash instruments at all.
May not be your problem, but rung a bell with me, they could be tested using a cooling can, which sprays cold onto the PCB, sometimes the panel would spring back to life, then just test more localised, to locate the single component failure.
I can't repair them anymore, too old, eyes going dim etc!

#12 ·
Did you have any luck resolving this problem? My dash has been intermittent but the revs/Speed needle would still move. Just tried the above (remove cluster and check, unplug and check large connectors in footwell with battery disconnected) now it is showing nothing except for the red lights like parking brake warning/battery warning when turning on initially.

#16 ·
Hi,
After a lot of checking multiplugs and connectors the only solution was to remove the instrument cluster and send it off for repair. I opted for a local garage to do this for me, as they gave me a loan car. It took about 3 weeks to do and i use my truck for work, so a no brainer.
I think it cost around £600, but at least I could get to work and earn some money whilst it was being done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.