Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
11,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading that having a towbar needed to be informed to your insurance company.

I have never heard of it before, or from memory have never been asked.

Is it just internet fake news?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Towing is usually covered under a policy, can't do that without a towbar.
Mind you Ins Cos change their mind at the drop of a hat.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Told my insurers about the tow bar on my last 2 Navs. When i received my documents it was showing on them that i had one fitted. Usually do my insurance online & there was a question about is it standard.
Maybe just my cynical mind but thought any excuse to get out of paying up should the worse happen!
Put A/T tyres on my last one & told them about that as well.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
As a general rule, you need to check with you insurance company about many of the mods that you may be considering.....

It may be tow-bars, it may be DPF/EGR removal, suspension mods or remap/tuning chip.... Bear in mind they can always pull the "construction and use regulations" if necessary.

The key point is that in a big claim, they will search hard for anything that means they don't have to pay out (but your house will pay for many claims if you don't need it anymore, so maybe then, you and your family are covered).

·
Registered
47 Posts
ANY modification to the standard vehicle must be declared, a Towbar is not standard, it has never affected my premiums but as all insurance companies will use any excuse to try and wriggle out of a claim its probably best to inform them

·
Registered
509 Posts
When I renewed this year I decided to list everything to see what happened. This included tow bar and towing limit up-rate to 3500 (D40) by SVC, A bar, Customised roof-rack, Power chip. No difference to premium. All they said was that the extras themselves aren't covered on the policy which I thought was fair enough.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Hi guys,
mine has the hook at the back but not the long bar, is it still considered "towing bar"?
If you can hook a trailer up to it, it's a tow bar.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse brevity and mistakes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi guys,
mine has the hook at the back but not the long bar, is it still considered "towing bar"?
If you can hook a trailer up to it, it's a tow bar.

What I meant was that the hook is a standard equipment of the Navara like the bars on the roof for this model so the insurance company should already know it's there?

·
Registered
118 Posts
No, the assembly with hook and the power socket righ under the number plate... or not all Navaras have it as a standard?

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
That's a tow bar.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yep need to tell insurance company, plus, if it is a leased truck, you need to gain permission of the lease company to fit a tow bar - just a formality really.

Eddie

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thank you for your input guys, I will notify my insurance (due for renewal in a month).
I thought a "towbar" was the long bar I see sometimes fitted on some vehicles looking like a though additional steel bumper with a hook.

In fact I checked the catalogue and the workshop manual and the hook is not showing on any of their drawings meaning it's indeed an accessory.

Thank you again, very useful as always.

·
Registered
251 Posts
just been through the ins and outs of this question with my previous car. My understnading is that if the car is modified with an aftermarket towbar then that's when you need to inform your insurers of the change.

If the vehicle was fitted with a towbar when new, and bought as such, its considered a standard/factory-fit item.

Most insurers will ask "is the vehicle modified" when proposing business.

In that context, it means modified from as new / factory specification.

·
Registered
371 Posts
This is such a grey area.

I have notified my insurers and it appears as ‘towbar accessory’ on my schedule. Mine is a genuine Nissan ‘factory fit’.

I bought the Navara 1 year old with 6k miles on...... so.... how on earth does anyone actually know if there vehicle hs been ‘modified’ for the purposes of insurance. There are literally thousands of vehicles out there running remaps that their owners have no idea about as it was added before they bought.... brake disks and pads, towbars, alloys, different colour body parts, grilles, even a K&N panel filter..... they all need declaring.

All of these things are potential for an insurer to refuse to pay out if the worst should occur..... I really used to care about where I insured my cars.... the whole industry needs sorting out. I now get the cheapest possible quote and go with that every year and treat it as a legal requirement rather than actually receiving any kind of service.

·
Administrator
11,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you are not going to have an accident or theft you are better off with cheap insurance.

If you are, then premium insurance is absolutely worth the extra £200 per year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts