Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started the other day, just after I'd fitted a new trailer light socket. Even from cold the temperature gauge jumps up and down every now and then, I'd say it's electrical just jumps about even up to the red but then straight back. You can rev it up and it makes no difference, doesn't lift with revs. But then if the fan cuts in it steadys at normal level and remains there not jumping.

how is the fan controlled? Could it be a dodgy temp sender. Totally got me confused

·
Registered
839 Posts
One of our tractors does this, soon as you put the ignition on the needle goes right up to red, then when the engine is getting warm the needle jumps all over the place. If you fiddle with the wire that attaches onto the sender it goes back to normal. so either bad connection on the sender wire or bad earth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wondered about that. Do you know where the sender is? Just seems strange that it stops once the fan cuts in.
Iv got a video of it but can't seem to upload it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked the fault codes via the pedal pressing procedure. 10 steady flashes 2 slightly faster then 7 fast. So would that be 017??

·
Administrator
11,675 Posts
Just don't assume that the sensor is faulty, you might have a cooling issue and don't want to damage the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well had an hour to spare tonight so I checked the trailer light socket I fitted and in behind the bumper the wires had rubbed through on top of the towbar cross member, so I stripped it out an replaced the wires, so far no difference, but gonna leave the battery off over night for a full reset.
It turns out the fan that cuts in all the time is the small electric fan, is this to do with the air con? ?
Iv noticed that when the gauge is irratic the small fan cuts in making the temp gauge stop at a certain point just below half but that isn't a true reading, even when cold it jumps to half so I'm very cautious about the engine temp.
Iv checked earthing points which look clean.
Gonna get a new temp sender tomorrow to fit and see what that does. After that I'm a bit stuck, anyone any other suggestions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts