Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all went well, only an hour from home, no narrow roads etc Fakenham, The Green Man Inn, they have a site behind the pub.

Very friendly and locals were helpful, beer and food a bit pricey.

Really enjoyed it, reversed onto pitch, bit nervy but I was fine.

Just want to go away again.:laugh2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
How did you find the caravan behaved hitched up to your Navara? I'm looking at one for towing ours. I'd value someone's thoughts who's actually done this. Some say the back suspension could be a bit firm on pick ups but the Navara suspension isn't you're usual kettle of fish.
Cheers

·
Administrator
12,991 Posts
Plenty of caravanners on here who can advise.

One point to consider is that on the old leaf sprung landies, you had to put in a shock mount otherwise the inflexible suspension broke the caravan. Pickups, even though leaf sprung in the rear, don't have this issue.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Any Nav is great for towing a caravan.
Just make sure what you tow is within tow weight limits for your Nav model and the tow ball is good and strong (don't go cheap). Nose weight on the ball must be in limits too. Check your licence to ensure you legal for your rig and GTW. Easy if yours is pre 1997.

I just sold my 5th wheel caravan, and that was 4.2 tonnes .. Towed great with a V6!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cheers for that...I'm well old so no worries on the licence (already over the 3500kg limit for newer licences with the current tow vehicle and caravan and our caravan is a measly 1700kg compared to your 5th Wheel,). Nose weight/tow ball weight seem more than adequately covered by the Navara (100kg upwards is perfect) so it's looking good!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
we pull a new Elddis Crusader twin axle with our D40 and it's a dream to tow with.

To date we've done about 10 trips, including a month in France, no issues at all....

MPG drops to low 20's but it's a heavy van and the truck is always loaded up too.

Our first few trips were local (we're new to caravanning) so we soon learned what to take, what's essential and what's not.....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did you find the caravan behaved hitched up to your Navara? I'm looking at one for towing ours. I'd value someone's thoughts who's actually done this. Some say the back suspension could be a bit firm on pick ups but the Navara suspension isn't you're usual kettle of fish.
Cheers
Sorry, for late reply, the Nav is the only vehicle I've used to tow, so cannot compare, but very happy with it, been away loads of times now, Devon, Dorset, Norfolk, had no probs with it. Our van is quite a heavy one so quite happy with the Nav pulling it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we pull a new Elddis Crusader twin axle with our D40 and it's a dream to tow with.

To date we've done about 10 trips, including a month in France, no issues at all....

MPG drops to low 20's but it's a heavy van and the truck is always loaded up too.

Our first few trips were local (we're new to caravanning) so we soon learned what to take, what's essential and what's not.....
Us too, everything goes in the truck, we actually keep most of it in there all the time, awning and bbq and windbreak, odds and ends.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We have just bought a brand new Navara specifically to tow our Pegasus-Dacia Duster towed it fine but we wanted a bit of spare pulling power-then SWMBO saw the Bucaneer Cruiser at the lawns show and realising our new car could tow that, bought it-so we have gone from 1450kg van to 2000kg and I will let you know how we get on! Cruiser is twin axle and hopefully on the production line in Consett as i type! WE have had the Nissan towbar-3500kg warrantied-and the ball is alko compatible-ride height seems a bit on the high side but since it is a Nissan genuine bar am assuming it's all good!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ps our dealer uses a 2018 Navara to tow all their caravans around-can't have a better recommendation than 'brilliant, they'll tow anything', from a salesman!

·
Administrator
2,384 Posts
I have found with my little camper on the back (1600-1800kg, 165kg ball weight) that the springs settle more than I’d like. I fitted airbags inside the coils at the back and am happy with the outcome.

Your 2019 has firmer rear springs but will probably still sag a bit with a two tonne van on.

IMG_1583.JPG
IMG_3414.JPG

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
I have found with my little camper on the back (1600-1800kg, 165kg ball weight) that the springs settle more than I’d like. I fitted airbags inside the coils at the back and am happy with the outcome.

Your 2019 has firmer rear springs but will probably still sag a bit with a two tonne van on.

View attachment 61973
View attachment 61971
Not that much I pull 3.5ton + regularly and it just about rides level ,waiting still for the new replacement nissan tow hitch for my 2020my truck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts