Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've recently acquired a quantity of kerosene. Whilst I could keep it just for use in my space heater I wondered if I could use it in my D40 tank? Does anyone have any views on whether this is a good idea or not? I was thinking of maybe dosing 1 gallon per half tank of regular diesel, assuming that I can mix the two fuels which I guess is my next question. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks

·
Administrator
12,349 Posts
If it is dyed, then no, you will get large fines if caught.

In cold countries they mix something like 5% kerosene as it stops diesel waxing, so yes it can work.

For the D40, and any modern diesel, the fuel pump is at massive pressures, eg 20,000 psi, so highly vulnerable to the less lubrication in kerosene. Not worth the risk in my mind.
If you have loads consider selling it to someone with oil fired heating.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I haven't a vast quantity so I'll use it up slowly in my space heater. It isn't dyed but no point risking it in my truck if it poses and risk. Glad I asked the question, thank you

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
If it is dyed, then no, you will get large fines if caught.

In cold countries they mix something like 5% kerosene as it stops diesel waxing, so yes it can work.

For the D40, and any modern diesel, the fuel pump is at massive pressures, eg 20,000 psi, so highly vulnerable to the less lubrication in kerosene. Not worth the risk in my mind.
If you have loads consider selling it to someone with oil fired heating.
Dye makes no difference it is illegal to use kerosene as road fuel . The dye is a warning to users not to put it in . You can have diesel any colour you like ! the actual test is a chemical isotop which reacts with a reagent, in rebated fuel. The dye is very easy to remove but no point if tank is dipped. Kerosene is very common for use in military diesels due to battlefield logistics and fuelling aircraft and vehicles from the same fuel supply.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Is kero not used for home heating ? Well in Northern Ireland that’s what it’s sold for and why would there be a dye in it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dye makes no difference it is illegal to use kerosene as road fuel . The dye is a warning to users not to put it in . You can have diesel any colour you like ! the actual test is a chemical isotop which reacts with a reagent, in rebated fuel. The dye is very easy to remove but no point if tank is dipped. Kerosene is very common for use in military diesels due to battlefield logistics and fuelling aircraft and vehicles from the same fuel supply.
I'm puzzled to know why it is illegal for road use?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm puzzled to know why it is illegal for road use?
Because it isn't loaded with duty.
Oh right. Though as per earlier thread, it sounds like it isn't good for the truck anyhow. Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Is kero not used for home heating ? Well in Northern Ireland that’s what it’s sold for and why would there be a dye in it
There is a chemical marker in kerosene however not a visible marker. Every delivery of kerosene for heating carries a warning' not to be used as road fuel'. About 4 yrs ago a taxi company in Cambridge was shut down because their offices were using more Kerosene for heating than the taxi fleet was using Diesel.

·
Super Moderator
4,430 Posts
Kerosene, gas oil (aka red diesel) and jet fuel (aka jetA) yes "jet fuel" i used it in a diesel granada when i lived in spain!
Can all be used as diesel however all are illegal in uk because the tax hasnt been paid on it!
Also as there slightly different chemical content from diesel they may have adverse affects on fuel pump and catalytic converter/dpf due to higher carbon content and lack of lubrication!
Use at your own risk!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts