Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys hoping you can help, Last night my navara started acting up.

As i was heading out the Mersey tunnel up hill it just suddenly lost all power and started spluttering Tbh i thought i was going to break down in the tunnel.

Lucky i found that if i drooped it down to 2nd gear and kept the revs at 1k it would go so managed to get out of the tunnel (thank god its £250 quid to get towed out) back on the flat it will drive but only if you keep the revs low as soon as you press the gas it sort of half axcelerate's and then dies. Learching forwards and then giving up.

I was able to drive on and luckily leave it out side a mates house by keeping it 4th and 1k revs but every time it went up hill from that point on it just felt like it was going to stall and did not like it at all.

Took it out for a little spin this morning and i noticed there is now a laod of black smoke when you try and axcelerate.

The engine warning light does come on if you try and push it to the point where it starts losing power and learching again but goes off and stays off if you restart it.

I switched to bio diesel about a month maybe two months ago, I have heard people saying that cos of the acidity in the bio, it cleans your engine and has been know to clog up the fuel filter, I know nothing about engines my self be'ing an IT bod, and was wondering if the symptoms sound like the fuel filter is clogged?

One of my mates was saying the black smoke might mean there is water in the fuel, but was not much i could do today with it being new years day and Nissan shut.

Its an 03 but an import (did not know at the time i bought it was year old then) has any one else had an similar problems switching to bio diesel?

Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Black smoke usually means its getting too much fuel. White smoke means its getting water in the combustion chamber.

I'd take a guess that it may be a clogged fuel filter. If you look at the bottom of the filter, there is a little tap. Crack that open and see if it lets out any water or just clean diesel. Maybe, the injectors are not getting enough fuel and therefore not spraying it properly. (I'm guessing though, not a diesel engine expert).

Personally, I'm staying clear of biodiesel because although you save money on the fuel, it often catches up on you with fuel system or injector / engine problems.

G

·
lack of power

Hi Wes, This sounds very similar to the fault I had recently. My Nav had only done 10,000 miles but the fault vanished when I changed the fuel filter and has been A1 since. The old filter had no signs of water or contamination. Not tried the Bio yet, waiting for more reports (and stations)
Happy New Year to All
Good Luck
Jules

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, i spent today with two more machinicly minded mates, and we took the fuel filter off.

The thing was clogged up with all sorts of ****, I presume this is the much mentioned "cleaning" the bio does.

£15 quid later for a new fillter and lot of pumping on the primer, and the thing is running fine again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quik up date for any one else considering useing bio, The new filter lasted two days, and less than 100 miles i would say only drove home from warington to liverpool and then to work the next day and it was blockaed again.

the 1st replacement filter was fram one.

I ran out at diner time i got my self another fuel filter and swapped it, this one was blue and some crazzy japnesse thing covered in japannes charectors could not tell you what make it is. but it been in over a week now, and every thign seams to be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All,

Worth mentioning, I had EXACTLY the same symptoms after 4 months of using Bio. Had changed the fuel filter several times to pre-empt a blockage but when the lack of power issue occured there was no blockage in the filter. After having the tank drained and replacing the fuel, still same probs. Turned out to be a injection pump failure (spring and some sort of arm in the pump failed). Had the pump rebuilt with uprated components including Viton (synthetic) seals.

...just more info to the pool ;0)

Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts