Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my Japanese Navara with 2.5 L diesel engine is only making 21mpg on long distance when I would have expected it to do above 25mpg , makes some black smoke and occasionally goes to limp mode right after starting. Could these three problems be related? And does anyone know something I could try in order to fix it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My MAF was clean so I tried reading the codes and resetting the ECU but my truck refuses to enter self diagnostic mode by depressing the accelerator n all that stuff. Is there another way to reset ECU or does that show I have some other problem. Or is it just that my model doesn't have that option.?
Navara 2009 2.5 Diesel.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My MAF was clean so I tried reading the codes and resetting the ECU but my truck refuses to enter self diagnostic mode by depressing the accelerator n all that stuff. Is there another way to reset ECU or does that show I have some other problem. Or is it just that my model doesn't have that option.?
Navara 2009 2.5 Diesel.
Do a hard reset by disconnecting the battery overnight.
Have a look through these videos, they may help:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoVGBpOdAu7BXHHzS3v0vww/search?query=navara+black+smoke+cutting+out

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I did some more checks on the engine and realized it has a huge amount of blow by. So I believe will have to overhaul engine. Are there any online parts dealers you could recommend that have decent prices on OEM and/or aftermarket parts?

·
Administrator
11,657 Posts
Today I did some more checks on the engine and realized it has a huge amount of blow by. So I believe will have to overhaul engine. Are there any online parts dealers you could recommend that have decent prices on OEM and/or aftermarket parts?
Apart from timing chain potential problems, these engines are well made and can go several 100k's of miles without issue, so excessive blow by is unlikely.

What tests have done to think it needs a rebuild?

The problem is far more likely to be EGR/SCV/BCV/injectors than mechanical. There are hundreds of threads on this forum where people have had similar problems and resolved them without a rebuild.

As previously requested, can you set your location please, it is hard to advise when we have no idea where you are in the world (Desktop app - click UserCP and profile)
By the way no Navaras are made in Japan, only Thailand, Spain and Brazil.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey I wanted to put in location but in my user profile it only gives the options for birthday and privacy. I have the app on my Android device.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My reason to believe it needs rebuild is since I saw oil leaking from the intercooler and since I recently changed the turbo I knew it's not that. So I took off the breather hose and realized some oil was blowing out there. I plugged it with my finger and it built up at least 5psi of pressure just while idling.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I guess then I'm not sure where it's made since the only info I find on it is a little plate that says Nissan Motor Co Japan along with the serial number etc.

·
Administrator
11,657 Posts
My reason to believe it needs rebuild is since I saw oil leaking from the intercooler and since I recently changed the turbo I knew it's not that. So I took off the breather hose and realized some oil was blowing out there. I plugged it with my finger and it built up at least 5psi of pressure just while idling.
It is perfectly normal with these engines. Loads of people have replaced the turbos on these when they found oil in the pipes and intercoolers, often even the professionals have made this same mistake.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The reason I changed my turbo was it suddenly started making a terrible screeching noise and lots of smoke came out of it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But you are right. Before I decide to do a rebuild I want to take it to one or a few professionals to see if they can give any advice. Though I am suspicious if the previous owner had run the engine hot. He did say he had changed the the anti vibrator or balancer on the engine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts