Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a few threads earlier about limited slip differentials.

Can someone remind me what this is? Am I right in thinking it means that the rear diff i... I'll stop there, as I realise I can't really say what I do think it is.

The diff allows the axles, one pair at the back, and one pair at the front on 4x4's, to rotate independently, so that when you go around bends, you don't scrub the tyres. Is this about right?

So why limit this differential?

Does the front axle have a diff as well?

Maybe I should go grovelling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You are right in what you say. A slip diff allows the wheels to effectively rotate independantly so you can corner easily.

A limited slip diff limits (obviously) the amount of slip so if you get onto some loose surface you cannot spin just one wheel as the diff locks slightly passing some of the power to the wheel with traction.

There is a diff on the front axle and a third diff between the axles, I am unsure how many of the diffs on the Nav are LSD's though

Hope that helps

Kev

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm certainly going to go and have a good look underneath one day.

I think I remember driving some vehicles that had a diff-lock fitted. I never used one, though - I think there was a Big Red Button that you were meant to push if you got really stuck somewhere, but it never happened.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What is a differential?

All vehicles have a differential. It allows the powered wheels of a vehicle to be driven at different speeds in order to compensate for the different distances they have to travel when negotiating a corner. 4wd vehicles require either two or three differentials in order to allow all 4 wheels to travel different distances. Therefore 4wd vehicles will have a differential between each pair of wheels and also, in the case of a vehicle which has permanent 4wd, between the back and front axles.

What does the differential do?

The differential alters the amount of power directed to each pair of wheels on an axle. More power goes to the wheel which has to travel the greater distance. This is the wheel which is on the outside of the curve being negotiated.

What is a 'limited-slip' differential?

A limited-slip dif' is a type of differential which uses either fluid or mechanical mechanisms to control the amount of power being directed to a particular wheel. When a wheel loses contact with the ground a standard differential will transfer all power to this wheel and none to the wheel which remains in contact with the ground. This means this axle is no longer effective in driving the vehicle. The limited slip dif' reduces the amount of power going to the wheel which is no longer in contact with the ground. This allows the other wheel to retain a varying degree of efficiency depending on the type of limited slip dif'.

hope this helps to explain fully

rgds
kenny

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, sorry Kenny I have to disagree with you. An lsd does not reduce the power/ drive to the wheel that has lost traction. It applies equal power to both wheels, so they both turn at the same speed. A torque biasing diff reduces the power to the wheel that has lost traction & applies the power to the other wheel, however both wheels must be in contact with the ground. If one wheel is in the air a torque biasing diff will not work but an lsd will.

Ken.

·
Registered
976 Posts
brij2552 said:
Hey guys was just wondering if an 06 navara d22 would have the LSD system in both front and rear diffs?

no. open diff in front, LSD or e-locker rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why wouldn't there be one in the front?

I went to arb the other day to inquire about the air locking system. They said they could Only do it in the back. Is there any reason for this ?

Brij :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
brij2552 said:
Why wouldn't there be one in the front?
cause nissan never fitted one !
I went to arb the other day to inquire about the air locking system. They said they could Only do it in the back. Is there any reason for this ?

Brij :)
ARB don't make a front locker because the diff is to weak.
however there is an auto locker available from some crowd, however you will need manual hubs fitted (if you don't have them).

the other way around it is to change the front diff to the bigger front diff thats in some of the petrol versions. it fits the same locker as the rear diff does.
http://www.navara.asia/forum.php has a few write ups on the conversion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts