Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Nissan Navara ZD30 and it looks like its time to show some love to the brakes. The front rotors need some work, I was just wondering if people still bother with getting their rotors machined? Or is it just better to get a cheap new set like https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/products/ZPN-02450 ? (Yes I have measured them to make sure they are the right size) Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
Why would you risk cheap replacements to be honest new disc and pads dont exactly break the bank and certainly would never justify the cost of machining them . They are a routine service item nowadays and it has become the norm to replace them and pads at the same time every time at least with us with NP300s, Must admit we do as well with D40s.

·
Super Moderator
4,554 Posts
My D40 gets new discs to every 2 sets of pads!
The pads on mine last on average 2 years so the discs are replaced on average of every 4 years

·
Registered
259 Posts
yes, swapped my rotors out and pads a few months back, about £80 for a set of Brembo disks and decent pads (D40)

New discs made big difference to the braking performance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I will give them a go and just see how it is. The reason I was asking popsdosh is because I don't have a lot of money and I consider some brakes better than no brakes at all. I get your point however I am not financially in a position to spend $300 (What it would cost here in Australia for 2 genuine rotors.) I will just see how these go and worse comes to worst when I have enough money in 6-12 months I will see if i need to upgrade to another brand.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks guys, I will give them a go and just see how it is. The reason I was asking popsdosh is because I don't have a lot of money and I consider some brakes better than no brakes at all. I get your point however I am not financially in a position to spend $300 (What it would cost here in Australia for 2 genuine rotors.) I will just see how these go and worse comes to worst when I have enough money in 6-12 months I will see if i need to upgrade to another brand.
For $100.00 I'd give them a go.

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
For $100.00 I'd give them a go.
The problem is getting modern rotors machined and keeping enough material to be safe with modern ventilated disc. None I have ever taken off were likely to be machinable or indeed economical to do so. You can get good quality replacement sets ie Rotors and pads for not much more than a tank of fuel. So I guess our perspectives different here. You would struggle to get anybody to machine them for less than that and still have to buy the pads.

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
Just to be clear, the rotors you would buy in a Nissan box are simply that ( rotors in a Nissan box). Nissan will have sourced these parts, but very unlikely to be the same as fitted as original equipment.

You are wasting your money if you think that so called genuine parts are better than elsewhere.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The problem is getting modern rotors machined and keeping enough material to be safe with modern ventilated disc. None I have ever taken off were likely to be machinable or indeed economical to do so. You can get good quality replacement sets ie Rotors and pads for not much more than a tank of fuel. So I guess our perspectives different here. You would struggle to get anybody to machine them for less than that and still have to buy the pads.
I was talking about buying the rotors for $100, not machining the originals which by the way will cost about $50 per rotor if using a mobile mechanic (In Brisbane Australia).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to be clear, the rotors you would buy in a Nissan box are simply that ( rotors in a Nissan box). Nissan will have sourced these parts, but very unlikely to be the same as fitted as original equipment.

You are wasting your money if you think that so called genuine parts are better than elsewhere.
That is true, I am sure they would source them from all over the world. Not like Nissan has its own factories for every part surely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts