Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
11,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, for the last 13 years of pickup ownership I have had a full canopy.

The one I have just got has a mountain top on already.

What do you reckon is best? And why?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi landmannnn,

Like the look with just mountain top or roller shutter but for me the full canopy is much more practical with having dogs, they are nice and safe in the back, still leaving five seats in cab if needed. Also can put bikes (or anything bit taller than tub) in the back and keep it all nice and dry.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
mountain top unless you really need the canopy for practical reasons, i always found the canopy a PITA when trying to get something from the front of the bed, the canopy also limits how high a load you can take, as an example i carry my bikes stood up in the back cant do that with a canopy on

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts
I massively prefer a hard tonneau but with the dogs i have, a canopy is a must

·
Premium Member
15,742 Posts
I've had a hard top on mine since I got it and could not do without it because of the dog(s) but the top does make the truck look like a hearse.

I have taken the hardtop off a couple of times to carry bigger stuff and I much prefer the look of the truck without the top on.

·
Administrator
11,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My latest dog doesn't travel well in the back and doesn't lose hair too badly, so goes on the back seat. I do agree that access to the front of tub with a canopy is a pain

I am swaying towards keeping the mountain top.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Mountain top is good as you can strap a reasonable load to it. It will take a fair bit of weight. But, You can't have long bits of timber or pipe up and over the roof from the tailgate. You could with a rolltop though. I have got a Mountain Top and so far have not wished for a canopy. A roll top would be good though.......

·
Registered
722 Posts
I recently swapped my mountain top to a hard top because we bought a dog. I prefer the mountain top eny day of the week. It's too bad I didn't just bought the hard top but swapped it with a guy. Otherwise I would change it back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Opinions - Tonneau cover vs Canopy

I was split if this should be in this forum or external mods, admins move if necessary.

I did a quick search and didn't find anything so forgive me if this has need discussed before.

I just ordered a NP300 for January and trying to decide on the best cover for her.

Naturally space requirements and personal preference come into this a lot.

The canopy will naturally give the largest space but i think they blur the lines of the pick-up!

Then there are the hard tonneau covers, (soft not really of interest to me).
The pegasus one you can lock up and it looks good but i still have a niggling feel it will restrict the load height of objects in the back.
Then there is the blueice cover which is roller which give you flexibility on loading large items, plus i like the ability to stand on the cover.

Guys who have used / lived with these covers, what was your experience after 6 months of having them installed. Still like then or looking back would you have changed for another option?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have give.

George

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,742 Posts
I have the full hard top, basically for the dog. I have taken it off a couple of times to carry something that would not fit under the canopy, it instantly changed the look for the better with the top off.

If the hard cover suits your needs go for it, the truck will look all the better. It's just a case of choosing the right one for your needs. 8)

·
Administrator
11,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a full canopy for 10years, now my new truck has a mountain top.

I am not sure there is an answer to what's best, in my opinion, the pro's n con's of each are:
Snugtop
Couldnt stop it leaking
Surprising restrictive for long and big things
Good for dogs, particularly smelly ones!
Can carry 8x4 sheets on the roof
Cant see anything through the rear view mirror
Makes the truck look big!

Mountain top
The tub is now just a big boot
Waterproof
Pop it off to carry very big things
Can put things on the top if needs be
Best option for bikes
Rear view mirror now serves a purpose
Can't spot the truck so easily in a big car park
No longer looks like monster/hearse

In everyday mode, not much to choose between them, the options are different, but you will normally get there. Eg If you wanted to move a big sofa, with a canopy you strap it to the roof bars, with a mountain top, you take it off a strap the sofa in the back.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I have a "roll N lock" roller shutter.
Not totally waterproof.
I wouldn't stand on it (which doesn't mean you couldn't)

I went that route rather than a mountain top because I tow a 5th wheeler and if I had a omuntain top it would be without it more than with it. At least with the roller shutter I can hide/keep things in the back out of site, and it covers the 5th wheel hitch.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the soft top bed cover, it's leather and you roll it to open, it's fully waterproof and it locks with the tailgate, I like it and you can keep things out of sight and also carry big objects without having to leave a hardtop behind

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have a mountain top

I have cross bars fitted as well for the bike racks

The 35kg dog rides inside by flipping a seat up and putting his bed on the floor

The kids fit on the double part of the seat not flipped up

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Ha Ha for a second there I thought you were going to say the ankle biters travel in the rear with the mountain top locked down!

I have a mountain top

I have cross bars fitted as well for the bike racks

The 35kg dog rides inside by flipping a seat up and putting his bed on the floor

The kids fit on the double part of the seat not flipped up

·
Super Moderator
503 Posts
I have an SJS Gullwing on mine.

So far appears as waterproof as I would expect, I've never found anything to be wet or damp or any evidence of water getting into the load space. I mainly put this down to the tailgate seal I fitted as I feel it makes a huge difference to the internal vacuum within the load area. With the seal there is no "airflow" through the hardtop so I feel this as stopped rainwater being "sucked" into the load area at speed.

As for looks, I quite like it perhaps the truck looks more "the business" without the hardtop but I chose one which did suit the lines of the truck and mirrored a few design details to make it look more like its supposed to be there, its certainly 100x better than the genuine nissan abomination!

Practicality, well its been brilliant to be honest. I'm a service engineer and my main worry about changing from a traditional van to a pickup was the sheer size of it, I'm 6ft and it was a real stretch to reach things. My job means I wear a shirt and suit trousers most of the time, even as far as a jacket and tie if needed so I can't really be crawling around in the back of it but with the gullwings they are large enough to pass our equipment and my storage boxes through so it works very well. As for the lack of rear view, I'm used to that from vans and having the revsering camera is better than I would have thought. My still biggest annoyance but its the NP300's fault and not the hardtop is the lack of parking sensors!

I went through every option trying to decide what to get, I wasn't paying but i wanted to get the most cost effective option obviously hard tonneau covers start at £350 ish up to £3500 for the fanciest hardtop, the SJS was £1295+vat so quite reasonable, especially as a nice roller shutter/mountain top is at least £1000. I absolutely feel it was the correct decision to me mainly as I would be really struggling with the limited load space/height of a closed roller shutter/deck for what I need.

I'll spam some pictures if it helps :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts