Nissan-Navara.net banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan navara outback 2007
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That’s the 1st place I checked was oil cap dip stick and nothing, I’ve got it booked in for a pressure test on Friday, hopefully they will be able to tell me if it’s the head gasket or was, really hoping it’s not a cracked head

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There’s no trace on the oil cap or dip stick, I’ve got it booked in on Friday for a pressure test I’ll see what they say hopefully not bad news and just a head gasket

·
Super Moderator
198 Posts
It's not possible to tell the difference between the two until you have taken the head off. The symptoms of both faults are interchangeable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Looks like I’ll have my fingers crossed then hoping it’s a head gasket

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just a quick question, I’ve got the chance to buy a cylinder head but the engine it’s coming off the bottom end is knocking, would the head be okay or do you guys think it will be knackered
Help please

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Hard to tell unless it's also checked for cracks and distortion and valves aren't bent, does it come complete with cams and injectors in it ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah it’s complete, just for the price of it I don’t want to miss it and then find out mine’s got a crack in it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That’s why I asked, I’m stuck in limbo with it, might just take mine off have a good look and see where to go from there, but if mines cracked I’ll have to get a replacement

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Forgot to mention the guy said it’s had no issues at all and I can take it off myself so I could check the gasket to see if there is any issue, what do use guy think

·
Super Moderator
4,653 Posts
I'd have a "sniff test" done to confirm headgasket as the symptoms your describing could be blocked/collapse core of the radiator too!
I had it about 2 years ago and was convinced it was the head until I bought the tester kit (just to be 100% sure) and it showed no gasses were getting into the water

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks mate but I can smell the burnt oil/diesel I’ve got it booked In for a pressure test tomorrow afternoon I’ll let use all know what happens

·
Super Moderator
198 Posts
A smell of burnt oil/diesel wouldn't steer me towards a damaged head and/or gasket. That sounds more like a leak from elsewhere burning off on the hot engine/exhaust externally.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I would agree with you on that but I could only smell it when I took the radiator cap off, because of the damp weather we having my truck wasn’t warming up as quick as normal

·
Super Moderator
198 Posts
Yes if you can smell it from the header tank then that's pretty conclusive. I'd expect it to be over-pressurising the coolant hoses pretty severely though by that point.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
It is mate that’s why asked if it would be a good idea to buy that second cylinder head just in case I’ve cracked it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
This is very true, was just wondering if a collapsed radiator would of caused the gasket to go only asking because when I ran it the bottom pipe wasn’t getting warm, I know it’s not the thermostat as that’s new

21 - 40 of 46 Posts