Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gday all, New here,
I've got a 2012 D40 2.5L Auto.
Having an issue when I turn my lights on after 10secs to 1min sometimes 2mins it would go into limp mode. No warning lights or engine ligts come on.
When I turn the lights on can feel the car's power dip couple of times go back to normal then go into limp mode.
I've followed some of the posts on how to investigate and fix engine running issues, as well as Diagnostics post.

I had a mate use his scan tool came back with no error code. But in saying that I had turned my ute off without realizing it resets.
I ended up following the Diagnostics post doing the ol pedal dance and got p0504 so I'm thinking its the Brake SW/circuit(I think I did it right).
I have ordered a new Brake SW/circuit and its on its way.
Brake lights are working just fine.
But I thought it was strange it only goes into limp mode when I put my parkers/headlights on. And was just after some ideas from you legends.

Edit: Have checked all fuses and everything is all good.

Thanks heaps
Nox

·
Administrator
13,996 Posts
Welcome Nox.

Very unusual,, a good bit of fault finding!
Hopefully the new wiring will resolve it.

Mentioned in this post, although no resolution posted

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome Nox.

Very unusual,, a good bit of fault finding!
Hopefully the new wiring will resolve it.

Mentioned in this post, although no resolution posted
Gday,
Hopefully the new Brake SW is the fix, when it gets here. I'll keep posted so if others have similar issue's this will hopefully help.

Cheers
Nox

·
Super Moderator
336 Posts
The only link I can imagine between lights and engine power is a fault with the wiring that is causing the lights to earth through the ECU/an ECU sensor. A couple of checks I would try:-

1) Voltage drop check on the earth circuit of each of the lamps (with lamps switched on).

2) Bring up live data for the sensors that are likely to affect power (MAF, boost pressure, fuel pressure, air temp etc) and watch for a change in any as you turn the lights on. There is a good chance that whichever is affected will be the result of a fault elsewhere though so don't assume the one that changes is at fault. Happy to talk you through where to go from here if you do this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only link I can imagine between lights and engine power is a fault with the wiring that is causing the lights to earth through the ECU/an ECU sensor. A couple of checks I would try:-

1) Voltage drop check on the earth circuit of each of the lamps (with lamps switched on).

2) Bring up live data for the sensors that are likely to affect power (MAF, boost pressure, fuel pressure, air temp etc) and watch for a change in any as you turn the lights on. There is a good chance that whichever is affected will be the result of a fault elsewhere though so don't assume the one that changes is at fault. Happy to talk you through where to go from here if you do this.
Ahh cool thanks for that, I'll get a mate, qualified auto elec to have a look once he's back from holidays.

Cheers
Nox

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indeed, had me stumped for a week.
Will keep posted incase others have a similar issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gday,
Just posting an update, I managed to borrow a mates obd2 scanner tool,
and that has confirmed my Brake SW error code, also got another error code pop up
codes that popped up were
Code - P0504 (Brake SW/Circuit)
Code - U1000

Just did a search on here and found the possible cause for the u1000 code so thats and easy fix.
And still waiting for the Brake SW/Circuit part to arrive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gday,

Just an update, Got the new brake switch today, threw it in, and still having the issue.

Now i'll ring my mate and get him to come have a look at it, as I now suspect a wiring issue somewhere.

Cheers
Nox

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey all

Got an update. Fixed the issue.
One of my work mates was away for work, when he got back (he has a nav same as mine). He jumped in my ute and we went for a drive. We took out the brake light globes and the issue stopped.

Put them back in and it started again.
I had led lights in. Im guessing one of the leds faulted and was causing the issue with voltage.
Put in some normal globes and its working perfectly now :D

Cheers
Nox

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeh, thing was, couldnt tell since it was Led, and was working fine, but im guessing one of the small Led's stopped working so I ended up putting some globes in from my boat trailer.
Main thing is, its working now haha.

·
Administrator
4,700 Posts
Wierd that's the last thing I would have thought of!
But very useful to know cos I've got leds in mine, so if I get any lighting problems in the future I now know where to start! 🍻

1 - 14 of 14 Posts