Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have recently purchased a 2007 Navara D40 and it has black smoke coming from the exhaust on acceleration?! This doesn’t matter if I’ve just started driving or driving for and hour on acceleration it smokes.

I’m also not sure on its power seems very slow and struggles to pick up speed but this may be because I have a c class AMG 😂 but on a serious one it does seem too slow.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to stop this smoke and also improve the MPG as currently running at 20mpg and I’ve been driving it at 30-60mph and 2-3k rpm max.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
191 Posts
It might be a boost problem, check vacuum hoses aren't split or blocked especially under plastic engine cover the pipe does wear away as it does sometimes fouls the cover, also check to see if you've got boost by squeezing the pipe from turbo to intercooler whilst somebody else revs engine to about 2000 rpm the pip should expand in your fingers, if it doesn't suspect boost control solonoid under air filter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It might be a boost problem, check vacuum hoses aren't split or blocked especially under plastic engine cover the pipe does wear away as it does sometimes fouls the cover, also check to see if you've got boost by squeezing the pipe from turbo to intercooler whilst somebody else revs engine to about 2000 rpm the pip should expand in your fingers, if it doesn't suspect boost control solonoid under air filter
Thanks TRO 😊

I’m not a mechanic is there a picture somewhere detailing what pipes I need to check?

·
Super Moderator
191 Posts
The black smoke is over fueling, however if it has no dpf it will produce black smoke on acceleration but shouldn't be excessive

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The black smoke is over fueling, however if it has no dpf it will produce black smoke on acceleration but shouldn't be excessive
It passed its MOT saying smoke wasn’t too bad but I never have any smoke in the Mercedes 😂 all new to me

·
Super Moderator
191 Posts
Can't make that out it does look like it is missing something but it doesn't look like the boost solonoid, is that near the steering rack

·
Super Moderator
191 Posts
No it wouldn't cause the smoke did you buy the truck without that drive shaft? and when you had the mot did they not see it was missing on inspection did it pass the mot?
It means you won't be able to get 4wd also oil will come out of the diff what's left in there and take in water, if you type in, guide to boost control solonoid, in the search community box you will find some info on the boost solonoid

·
Administrator
13,430 Posts
Hi All,

I have recently purchased a 2007 Navara D40 and it has black smoke coming from the exhaust on acceleration?! This doesn’t matter if I’ve just started driving or driving for and hour on acceleration it smokes.

I’m also not sure on its power seems very slow and struggles to pick up speed but this may be because I have a c class AMG 😂 but on a serious one it does seem too slow.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to stop this smoke and also improve the MPG as currently running at 20mpg and I’ve been driving it at 30-60mph and 2-3k rpm max.

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum.

The first thing to do is to read though this guide.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No it wouldn't cause the smoke did you buy the truck without that drive shaft? and when you had the mot did they not see it was missing on inspection did it pass the mot?
It means you won't be able to get 4wd also oil will come out of the diff what's left in there and take in water, if you type in, guide to boost control solonoid, in the search community box you will find some info on the boost solonoid
The previous owners got the MOT the morning before I went to buy is and said on there ns driveshaft missing. If I’m honest I took a punt on the motor but I have ordered one that’s being fitted on Thursday just need to sort out this smoke issue.. someone said could well be red diesel but I’ve run £60 power through it.?

·
Super Moderator
191 Posts
The previous owners got the MOT the morning before I went to buy is and said on there ns driveshaft missing. If I’m honest I took a punt on the motor but I have ordered one that’s being fitted on Thursday just need to sort out this smoke issue.. someone said could well be red diesel but I’ve run £60 power through it.?
That is actually an mot failure as the end of the drive shaft forms part of the front hub wheel bearing assembly and hub structure, personally I wouldn't drive it until you've had it sorted.

·
Super Moderator
191 Posts
Garage who did the mot was probably a friend of the person you acquired the vehicle from, also why was the drive shaft removed, possibly a differential problem or drive shaft joint worn.

·
Registered
56 Posts
There is a lot of info on this issue and what to look for in diagnosing it. It is usually a very simple fix either vac hoses or the boost solenoid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts