Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I’ve been reading the forum for some time now and now joined up,
I have a 52 plate Navara d22 with the yd2.5

Recently it’s had issues with engine management light flashing and loss of power

I read the fault codes and got
“72 injection pump 2 (tdc pulse)
So I changed the crank shaft sensor for a genuine new one, still the same

Removed covers chain still intact and measured within tolerance from the tensioner to the guide
So i fitted a second hand pump which was worse than the one I had so I refitted the original and still the same as I expected so I took it off again and sent it away to be tested at s&s diesels. It came back with no fault so refitted it and it’s still the same

Next I got a fuel filter lift pump and fitted those ... now the fault has changed to
“77 injection pump (injection timing f/b)”

Can anyone tell me what “ injection timing f/b” actually means ?

I’m running out of options either it’s the Ecu on top of the pump faulty or the lower chain has stretched causing the crank and fuel pump to be out of time

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,

I think f/b means feedback. Maybe you just have air trapped in the fuel system? Never had that problem with mine, but as I gather it can be a bitch.

Here's a quote:

[...]

Thank you .okay this is a common issue , normally just replacing the fuel filter will rectifies this issue .check the lines for air bubbles ,this code trips due to air in fuel ,sucking in air from fuel filter .start with replacing the fuel filter .
Use a clear hose on the delivery line to see if air is being drawn into the system.
The in tank fuel pump could be the issue so have this checked as well .
the connection on the pump should be checked could be sucking in air from that side .

[...]

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I assume you have fitted a new fuel filter?
How did you get the codes, as D22 codes do not normally align with standard OBD2 fault codes (Renault's influence!), I wouldn't take any fault code as gospel.
When you say 'loss of power', do you mean when driving it? Is it a misfire?
D22's are extremely sensitive to ANY air in the fuel system, they are well known for the outlet pipe on top of the tank to perforate letting air in.
Try a clear pipe in the system between the filter and pump to see if it is air related.
The pump ECU has been known to fail but this is very rare, air should always suspected first, I once had a brand new diesel filter spun so thin that the casing was porous, letting air in once the ink finish had softened, this took forever to find!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, yes a new filter was fitted.

The codes are from Gscan diagnostics equipment (only thing we have that reads it)

I have check fuel primer is going hard before starting and that’s ok, next is the clear hose to check for air been pulled in .

I have found that when watching on live data that
Injection timing S/V is at around 95%
While the fault is present and power is loss
The fault cannot be cleared at this point

I left the Navara running and warming up for 20mins it got to 83’ coolant temp
And there was a change in tone from the engine and the
Injection S/Vwent down to around 50%
At this point the fault code can be cleared and the power is restored and drives perfectly

Now of i turn it on and off drive it etc there’s no problem at all

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem in another thread.
This will throw the 72 code as well iirc.
New fuel pump I'm afraid.
Remember reading at the time that the pump ECU is fuel cooled and too much air in the system for too long will knacker it.

Thread:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts