Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm new here. Need help big time!

I have a 2009 navara and the heaters inside haven't worked for a while so I've finally decided to get them fixed and f*** me what an ordeal this has become.

I initially took it to Nissan and they diagnosed a blocked heater matrix, and pressure test came back fine.

So I take it to my trusty garage he strips it down, unblocks matrix, replaced the rad (it was all gunked up), still nothing, then checks water pump and thats fine and finally replaces thermostat, still nothing! So then he takes the dash off and a door heater motor is broke so removes that but still no hot air!

He tells me that he has done everything bar the ECG cooler unit and asks has anyone worked on it and possible tubed it up wrong, and to my memory they haven't. He tells me to ask nissan for a diagram and if there is any known issues with ECG cooler units.

He tells me the flow going to the matrix is too low

Nissan tell me its Nothing to do with the ecg cooler and i need to take it back to them to look... so back to square one.

Also checked the solenoids/resistors and it ain't them apparently.

I'm not a mechanic but I have a decent understand of how things work.

Anyone have any information on what it could be?

My next step is to go Nissan again but its £50 diagnosis and if there isn't water getting to the matrix I'm sure it will come up the matrix is blocked again and they want another £120 to diagnose that...

Any help would be so so greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add its been bled numerous times and my mechanic is pretty sure he's got all the air out but it was a bas**** to bleed

·
Administrator
15,137 Posts
You've got some experienced mechanics, so can probably diagnose better than us on the other end of an internet connection.
Did your mechanic replace the heater matrix? I'm not sure you could unblock it as the waterways are quite narrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You've got some experienced mechanics, so can probably diagnose better than us on the other end of an internet connection.
Did your mechanic replace the heater matrix? I'm not sure you could unblock it as the waterways are quite narrow.
Not replaced it just cleaned it out, im assuming he did it with a jet wash but it's still the same matrix

·
Administrator
15,137 Posts
I do know that if you use any stop leak in the cooling system it is guaranteed to block the heater matrix permanently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do know that if you use any stop leak in the cooling system it is guaranteed to block the heater matrix permanently.
ahh, the heating has been blowing cold for a long time but recently I did use a radweld so guess thats blocked it

·
Administrator
4,894 Posts
That would also explain the low flow rate

·
Super Moderator
1,186 Posts
Hi guys, pretty much got it here I think, especially since the usage of a leak stop compound is confirmed. As the Landmannnn said, it takes nothing to block the tiny fluid ways.

Also, a common issue with older vehicles is that somewhere along the history two types coolant can be mixed. At first, this may seem fine, but in time a thick jelly can be created due to a chemical reaction and this very quickly produces large "cold" areas in the heater core where there is no longer any flow. I have managed to blow this jelly out with an airline, but this only worked on a particular Audi A4 (the B6 diesels are terrible for cabin heat anyway).

People do get away with it, but if anyone does plan to change coolant, the easiest option is attempting to go for the exact same type.

All of the above is of course said in the light of the fact that each and every single other system/component has already been thoroughly checked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts