1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Recently had a new clutch and flywheel fitted by a garage
Its luk parts and a smf conversion
The issue ive got is its developed a rattle again
Its goes away when the clutch is pressed in or when im driving
But does sound like its grinding almost when at higher speeds 45+ becomes noticable
But idle its rattling like mad
He said he put a gallon of transmission oil in
It drives fine
Just the rattle is doing my head in
Cheers for any advice 馃憤

Administrator
Hi guys
Recently had a new clutch and flywheel fitted by a garage
Its luk parts and a smf conversion
The issue ive got is its developed a rattle again
Its goes away when the clutch is pressed in or when im driving
But does sound like its grinding almost when at higher speeds 45+ becomes noticable
But idle its rattling like mad
He said he put a gallon of transmission oil in
It drives fine
Just the rattle is doing my head in
Cheers for any advice 馃憤
It could be a few things.

Gearbox.
Maybe a worn bearing somewhere. Does the grinding go away in 4th gear? A sure sign that a layshaft bearing has gone (4th is direct drive so the layshaft isn't turning)

Clutch release bearing.
Assuming a new one, if faulty it can cause rattling, but won't cause any grinding noises.

Others.
It could be that something is loose and the slight rev drop when you press the clutch stops the rattle. Particular culprits are great shield on the exhaust or the exhaust Flexi joint.
Gearstick, does the rattling stop when you hold the gearstick?

I would start off with the vehicle idling and get underneath to see if you can identify where the noise is coming from. Loads easier on a lift, so it might be worth going to your local independent garage to help pinpoint the noise.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

The clutch release bearing was changed for a new and the crankshaft sensor also done as that was damaged from the flywheel i was told.

After reading your post i had inspected it underneath idling and the rattle is coming from the gearbox.

The grinding i have a feeling it is the front left wheel bearing after driving and listening to what you had said the grinding noise didnt change in 4th but turning to the right it gets alot louder.

Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ile get a wheel bearing ordered and fitted asap Ive noticed that idle revs are low too at around 550- 600 When increased to 750 800 The rattle almost disappears Is there a reason its revving so low at idle and a fix Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts