Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,283 Posts
Is it me or do all recent landrovers look the same? just different sizes!
The defender was always the farmers first choice and like i said over the evogue "ill eat my hat the first time i see one towing a trailer full of sheep with a wet dog in the passenger seat and a bail of hay in the boot"

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
We had one reserved , that got cancelled after a hands on experience at Gaydon. Cant say much at the moment until the official launch which I believe will be Geneva but I did quip which year.
Some die hard LR farmers may buy it but most will have had the comfort of a pickup in the intervening time and will think long and hard about going back the pricing will have to be right.. Some of the utility companies still have stockpiled new defenders(appreciating asset) so they will look cautiously and then make their minds up .
It may turn out to be JLRs downfall as you never turn your back on your core business and they have given the buyers of that type of vehicle plenty of time to look at alternatives.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The official launch is Frankfurt next week.
Thats interesting as they were aiming for Geneva at the time. The problem is with their pricing its on a par with the Merc pick up circa 40k for the bog standard 90 it is no longer in the bracket for those that will use it for work! which lets face it should be its DNA

·
Administrator
2,364 Posts
It’s easy to forget, but the original all those years ago (a) was styled in accordance with contemporary standards of the time (ie it looked modern), and
(b) it wasn’t cheap.

·
Administrator
2,364 Posts
Black isn’t exactly showing off its lines. Probably deliberately, as one last gasp at camouflaging the finer design.

·
Administrator
2,364 Posts
Got some great specs on first glance.

Australian pricing appears to be on par with the Discovery, perhaps a bit higher.

·
Administrator
2,364 Posts
£92k for a fully loaded top spec! $180k AUD

They’re promising half of that for the basic 110...

I do rather worry that these are going to sell to G Wagen poseurs, and will this never be properly supported by the aftermarket...

·
Super Moderator
595 Posts
looks soft
Agreed.

It's a shame where all vehicle production is heading. Making everything look soft; demand from the dodgy masses dictates the look, and profit drives the build. Old Land Rovers will never be beaten, and the D40 will never be matched. Sad.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Says it all that really. Ain't no farmer I know (except tweed clad chelsea wannabies) who would even entertain that for one second.
Thats the reason we pulled the plug .When I went for a play ,I wasnt blown away and was told to expect to start at 45 net up to over 75 ,I thought why compete for farm business when pricing at the FF discovery money . Had an inkling the direction they were heading when they brought out the special editions at the end of the defender run. I think somebody has lost the plot.. You can buy two top of the range Navs or a pauper spec 110, no contest. Its not like LR is top of the tree in the reliability stakes anymore.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Got some great specs on first glance.

Australian pricing appears to be on par with the Discovery, perhaps a bit higher.
Not sure why you would buy the defender over a discovery they are pitching at the same market !! Know which I would buy. They are having to discount FF discoveries pretty heavily to sell at the moment.

·
Administrator
11,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just thinking, in the UK (never the target market for Defenders) you don't see that many around.

Go to an alpine ski resort or the harbour at Cannes, there are high spec 110s everywhere. Often owned by the hotels.

I think the brand kudos will mean a high demand for these "go anywhere" vehicles.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts