Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a problem with the viscous fan coupling a couple of years ago causing the engine to strain and nearly stall when it was cold. Basically the fan kicked in when it shouldn't and the engine struggled for the first 30 seconds. Nissan found the problem and fixed it promptly - to their credit.

Two years down the line and the same problem crops up... Except that I'm using a different garage and they can't (or refuse to) identify the problem, informing me that the noise is a characteristic of the vehicle. I explain that it's not just the noise that's a problem and that it had the issue in the past, they check the records, etc, etc.

Next day, they phone me back and say that they've identified the problem and are replacing the "viscous flywheel" and the whole gearbox. Uhh, what? I'm no mechanic, but I'm pretty sure the fault isn't as severe as that! To be fair, it's all under warranty and I've done nothing but moan about the useless gearbox since I've had it so I let them carry on... But it seems odd to me.

Side note: the headlight washer assembly is also leaking and they're replacing that. Not too impressed with the reliability of this model, for sure. Still want an old D40 manual again, haha!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
So I had a problem with the viscous fan coupling a couple of years ago causing the engine to strain and nearly stall when it was cold. Basically the fan kicked in when it shouldn't and the engine struggled for the first 30 seconds. Nissan found the problem and fixed it promptly - to their credit.

Two years down the line and the same problem crops up... Except that I'm using a different garage and they can't (or refuse to) identify the problem, informing me that the noise is a characteristic of the vehicle. I explain that it's not just the noise that's a problem and that it had the issue in the past, they check the records, etc, etc.

Next day, they phone me back and say that they've identified the problem and are replacing the "viscous flywheel" and the whole gearbox. Uhh, what? I'm no mechanic, but I'm pretty sure the fault isn't as severe as that! To be fair, it's all under warranty and I've done nothing but moan about the useless gearbox since I've had it so I let them carry on... But it seems odd to me.

Side note: the headlight washer assembly is also leaking and they're replacing that. Not too impressed with the reliability of this model, for sure. Still want an old D40 manual again, haha!
Im guessing this is an auto box and they have found an issue .It most likely does need replacing as a component of that expense would have been checked out by Nissan prior to replacement being sanctioned. I wouldf also guess that the viscous flywheel they talk about is indeed the main working part of the fan.
The headlight washers have indeed been an issue on D40 and onto the NP300 which is why when I got the 2020my I was pleased they werent there anymore

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im guessing this is an auto box and they have found an issue .It most likely does need replacing as a component of that expense would have been checked out by Nissan prior to replacement being sanctioned. I wouldf also guess that the viscous flywheel they talk about is indeed the main working part of the fan.
The headlight washers have indeed been an issue on D40 and onto the NP300 which is why when I got the 2020my I was pleased they werent there anymore
Never had an issue with the headlight washers on the old D40 we had for 5 years. They got rid of them on the newest model NP300s?

As for the gearbox (yes, it is an auto), they went to Nissan for confirmation but he was talking about it "lurching forwards at junctions" - I'd narrowed that down to the engine nearly stalling due to the extra load from the fan and the ECU just throwing loads of fuel in to compensate. I had mentioned it was a thing it did, but only for a short while after starting the engine from cold.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts