Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just joined. Bought my D22 nearly 4 years ago, use as a daily driver. Been gradually renovating it. Changed whole braking system. Started doing welding jobs after MOT fail. Want to sort the rear end. Can't find a replacement rear tub anywhere, just need the offside rear quarter panel really, can sort the tub floor myself. Question is does any one know if the rear wings on later models, e.g. D40 fit the older tubs?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi all, just joined. Bought my D22 nearly 4 years ago, use as a daily driver. Been gradually renovating it. Changed whole braking system. Started doing welding jobs after MOT fail. Want to sort the rear end. Can't find a replacement rear tub anywhere, just need the offside rear quarter panel really, can sort the tub floor myself. Question is does any one know if the rear wings on later models, e.g. D40 fit the older tubs?
Don’t think the D40 rear wings will fit the D22 tub, I’ve got 05 D22 I bought brand new back in the day the bodywork is perfect the only welding done was to the the cab rearmost supports a few years ago, You can pick up original D22 plastic rear wings on eBay fairly cheap there’s still plenty of secondhand parts available for the d22. You should be able to get a secondhand tub for it only problem is delivery,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don’t think the D40 rear wings will fit the D22 tub, I’ve got 05 D22 I bought brand new back in the day the bodywork is perfect the only welding done was to the the cab rearmost supports a few years ago, You can pick up original D22 plastic rear wings on eBay fairly cheap there’s still plenty of secondhand parts available for the d22. You should be able to get a secondhand tub for it only problem is delivery,
Thanks for reply Cpeaco. Yes I bought my D22 4 years ago for £1500, so it owes me nothing, but I don't like to give up on things. I have seen the plastic wheel arch trims, but my whole rear wing is corroded and above the filler cap has turned to dust and disappeared. Have been ringing around breakers all over the country, no body has a D22 currently breaking. One breaker said older models get sent abroad in full. Spoke to Nissan and there has never been replacement panels apparently. This is why I was wondering if the bolt on rear wings of newer models would fit the old D22, or even does a newer model tub have the same 4 bolt positions? To replace whole rear end tub and wings In the very least I would need the welded fuel filler bracket behind the fuel filler door and try to fabricate the rear wing. Good thing is I still have 6 months MOT to run so collection is no problem

·
Administrator
15,894 Posts
True, the majority of D22s are worth far more money in Africa than the UK.

The D22 and later models all have one piece rear tubs, and they aren't interchangeable.

It sounds like you are quite handy, so why not go trayback Ozzie style? Quite straightforward to fabricate using some 40mm box and a sheet of ply.

This one is a bit fancier, but they look good to me.

View attachment 66005
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
301 Posts
That looks great landmannn
The one landmannnn posted does look good, At the end of the day it depends on how much time and space you have to do the work required I would still go down the route of getting a doner vehicle with a good tub and do a change over you could pick up a none runner with a better body,The rear tub on mines is still in good nick because it’s had a genuine Nissan bed liner fitted from new all sealed up properly, If your good at fabrication you could rejig a D40 tub and get it to fit, I’ve got Mercedes’ 108D traveliner have kept on the road it’s 24 years old the Merc 638 was the worst vehicle ever build for rust issues, The good thing about the old mercs there plenty of parts available the old 601 engine was used in a lot of different models they were even fitted to forklifts.
Best of luck with your project keep us posted how you get on, Cheers m8,

·
Administrator
15,894 Posts
Fair point @Cpeaco .

I just had a look on Facebook marketplace, at least a couple of people breaking D22s.

I still think a trayback would make a great project!

As always, YouTube is a good resource

·
Registered
301 Posts
Good vids landmannnn, At the end of the day it depends what your looking for, I prefer a tub on a pick up for the work I do, You don’t see many flat bed conversations in the uk. Just noticed on mine today have some blistering starting at the front of the n/s/r wing on the back tub will have to investigate further when the weather gets better might have to cut out a section and weld in a new plate and inject the inner panels with rust converter and wax.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. I've been in touch with a guy in Wales, hopefully pick the tub up on Saturday

1 - 12 of 12 Posts