Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum. My call sign is PurrpleMane and I am from Kingston, Jamaica. My current ride is a 2006 Nissan Presage but I am also in the process of buying a 2014 Navara Tekna 2.5L Diesel, Manual. Would appreciate any advice I can get before committing to the purchase.

Thank you all

·
Administrator
16,672 Posts
Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum. My call sign is PurrpleMane and I am from Kingston, Jamaica. My current ride is a 2006 Nissan Presage but I am also in the process of buying a 2014 Navara Tekna 2.5L Diesel, Manual. Would appreciate any advice I can get before committing to the purchase.

Thank you all
Welcome along.

By 2014 the 2.5 was pretty well sorted. So pretty much just the standard things that you would check on any vehicle. (tyres, clutch, electrics, body repair, noises when driving, brakes etc)

If it is a UK import have a good check for corrosion around the rear end of the chassis.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome along.

By 2014 the 2.5 was pretty well sorted. So pretty much just the standard things that you would check on any vehicle. (tyres, clutch, electrics, body repair, noises when driving, brakes etc)

If it is a UK import have a good check for corrosion around the rear end of the chassis.
Hi Landmannnn,

Thank you very much for your welcome and also for your response to my concerns. Today I am taking my family to go look at the vehicle and to seat them to see how comfortable it is for them. I did check and there is some rust underneath. Been looking online for a suitable rust converter, however two of the well recommended ones Corroseal and FDC Rust Remover seem to be no longer available. I think my only other concern at this time is the availability of parts here in Jamaica. We have a lot of Navaras here and a whole lot more Frontiers but they are more the JDM versions and getting service parts is easy. No so much for the European model and so I have to be weighing heavily if I should go ahead with the purchase. The vehicle has only 26,000 miles on the clock and is in very good condition aesthetically inside and outside and when I look at the competing option (Hilux) its nearly twice the price for the same year so there lies my dilemma. I am hoping and praying that it is a reliable vehicle and that I won't run into any serious problem in the near future (even though I know there is no guarantee to that).

·
Administrator
16,672 Posts
Hi Landmannnn,

Thank you very much for your welcome and also for your response to my concerns. Today I am taking my family to go look at the vehicle and to seat them to see how comfortable it is for them. I did check and there is some rust underneath. Been looking online for a suitable rust converter, however two of the well recommended ones Corroseal and FDC Rust Remover seem to be no longer available. I think my only other concern at this time is the availability of parts here in Jamaica. We have a lot of Navaras here and a whole lot more Frontiers but they are more the JDM versions and getting service parts is easy. No so much for the European model and so I have to be weighing heavily if I should go ahead with the purchase. The vehicle has only 26,000 miles on the clock and is in very good condition aesthetically inside and outside and when I look at the competing option (Hilux) its nearly twice the price for the same year so there lies my dilemma. I am hoping and praying that it is a reliable vehicle and that I won't run into any serious problem in the near future (even though I know there is no guarantee to that).
Hi there,
A couple of things, well maybe more..

Rust converters are a waste of time, they don't penetrate so just make it look good. Not such a major issue for a 2014, but as long as there isn't flaking rust and it is just the paint missing then it shouldn't be an issue.

Parts are not a major issue either. Actually no D40s were made in Japan, just Thailand, Spain and and a couple of factories in North America. Yours will have been made in Spain, so apart from left hand drive and a diesel engine pretty much identical to the US Frontier. You can definitely get the diesel engine service parts in Jamaica. Actually one of the key members of this forum (sadly passed now) was in Jamaica, he managed to get over 300bhp from his 2.5 diesal Navara!

26k miles is nothing, so that is good.

The Hilux is the same situation in the UK, almost twice the price. Certainly well built, but very slow and probably not deserving of the premium from a perception of reliability. (Although the Land Cruiser probably is)

Just be really sure that is hasn't been accident damaged, you probably already know that importing accident damaged or stolen vehicles is how organised gangs get around the origin country controls.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there,
A couple of things, well maybe more..

Rust converters are a waste of time, they don't penetrate so just make it look good. Not such a major issue for a 2014, but as long as there isn't flaking rust and it is just the paint missing then it shouldn't be an issue.

Parts are not a major issue either. Actually no D40s were made in Japan, just Thailand, Spain and and a couple of factories in North America. Yours will have been made in Spain, so apart from left hand drive and a diesel engine pretty much identical to the US Frontier. You can definitely get the diesel engine service parts in Jamaica. Actually one of the key members of this forum (sadly passed now) was in Jamaica, he managed to get over 300bhp from his 2.5 diesal Navara!

26k miles is nothing, so that is good.

The Hilux is the same situation in the UK, almost twice the price. Certainly well built, but very slow and probably not deserving of the premium from a perception of reliability. (Although the Land Cruiser probably is)

Just be really sure that is hasn't been accident damaged, you probably already know that importing accident damaged or stolen vehicles is how organised gangs get around the origin country controls.
Thanks again for providing me with such vital information. The one I am looking at is the Navara Tekna. Its a RHD. The seller provided me with a MOT history of the vehicle but I am still not quite convinced that it wasn't in an accident. Nevertheless if indeed there was an accident they would have done a great job at repairing it. I have noticed that the airbag light stays on and also the skid light. I drove the vehicle and it felt good and solid on the road.

I noticed something which I found quite curious though. The right hand side back light has one less white glass covering. An explanation was given about it being a British thing but I didn't quite buy the story so I am checking it out.

See picture

Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Car Automotive design

·
Administrator
16,672 Posts
That's normal for the European market. Passenger side is the reversing light and drivers the rear fog. (Obviously the rhd models are a mirror image of LHD models)

Guessing not much fog in Jamaica?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's normal for the European market. Passenger side is the reversing light and drivers the rear fog. (Obviously the rhd models are a mirror image of LHD models)

Guessing not much fog in Jamaica?
We do have fog in the higher lands and cooler regions early in the mornings, but this normally dissipates as soon as the sun comes out.

I will check with our vehicle examiner's department to see if one reverse light is acceptable or if it will be an issue. They provide the fitness certificate for the vehicle that is needed to be able to legally drive on our roads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I have looked up the reasons why the Airbag light and the Slip light might not be turning off which ranges from

Airbag:
  • Faulty sensor
  • Wet airbag module
  • Worn out airbag clock springs
  • Airbag deactivation
Slip Light:
  • Faulty wiring
  • Defective ABS rings
  • Bad ABS control module
  • Faulty wheel sensor

I hope it's a matter of wet airbag module or faulty wiring.

Regards

·
Administrator
16,672 Posts
You are not wrong.

Airbag
The airbag probably just needs resetting, a very simple DIY process. The other cause on the Navara is a faulty clock spring which are around £100 to buy. You never see the other issues on a Navara.

Slip.
On the Navara it is likely to be a faulty wheel sensor, around £30 or a damaged plug where the sensor plugs into the vehicle loom. Never heard of a ring or control module failing on a Navara.

Hope that helps (prices in UK pounds, parts only, not including labour!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are not wrong.

Airbag
The airbag probably just needs resetting, a very simple DIY process. The other cause on the Navara is a faulty clock spring which are around £100 to buy. You never see the other issues on a Navara.

Slip.
On the Navara it is likely to be a faulty wheel sensor, around £30 or a damaged plug where the sensor plugs into the vehicle loom. Never heard of a ring or control module failing on a Navara.

Hope that helps (prices in UK pounds, parts only, not including labour!)
Thank you very much Landmannnn, really appreciate your responses. I will let you know how things go as they are sorted out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Landmannnn, I hope you don't mind but since you have been so helpful I am now considering you to be my goto resource for information for now on purchasing the Navara. I did quite a bit of reading going through the manual for the truck and have a question regarding the Diesel Particulate Filter. Can it be removed and the truck operate safely. I too am concerned about the cost of replacing the filter and also the requirements for the regeneration process which seems quite odd that a more cost effective and efficient process was not designed.

I am alarmed that if I needed to replace the DPF, It would probably cost me an arm a leg 😁. Nothing that is quoted in British pounds is cheap in my country based on our exchange rate. So if at some point in the future the DPF should fail and the vehicle could be safely driven without replacing it I would do just that.

There is something else I would like to ask you, but preferably via private message. Can I do a PM on this forum. Thank you.

·
Administrator
16,672 Posts
No problems.

Don't worry about the dpf in the d40, they don't give any trouble. (Although they do in later models)

Worst case taking if off and running a long masonry drill through the middle of the silencer thing will work.

You can remove it but will then need to find somebody to remap your ECU.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No problems.

Don't worry about the dpf in the d40, they don't give any trouble. (Although they do in later models)

Worst case taking if off and running a long masonry drill through the middle of the silencer thing will work.

You can remove it but will then need to find somebody to remap your ECU.
Thanks again. Getting myself ready for work. It's 6:36am. Riding in my old trusty but aging Nissan Presage. Wanted to ask you how I could get a MOT done on the vehicle and will it show if the vehicle had an accident at any point in time.

·
Administrator
16,672 Posts
On the UK the MOT is the same thing as your fitness test (well similar), an annual inspection on vehicles over 4 years old.

If you have the UK registration number then you could input it here

If you haven't, no way of checking. Actually it is quite straightforward to check the vehicle itself.

1. Overspray on plastic parts, particularly under the bonnet.

2. Panel gaps, they should be even around the doors and bonnet.

If both are ok, either not accident damaged or well enough repaired.

Enjoy your day at work!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts