Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having decided to keep the D40. I'm going to slightly 'bling' it with new wheels, tyres and arch flares. I'm thinking of 18 inch x 9 wheels with 285/60 tyres. Will this combination cause any problems with tyre rubbing on full lock or any other problems? I'm also looking at Kut Snake flares. Any opinions on these? Thanks in advance. Peter

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
C'mon Peter....

You were recently asking about keep vs new...
So you say you are keeping the D40, but for how many years?

It is well known that if you spend money on 'bling' it does not necessarily translate into resale value - often has the opposite effect - even though you may 'enjoy it' in the meantime.... Fair enough though, if this is your dream machine for say the next 5 years....

If not, put the 5K into - e.g. peer to peer and get 3-4% and have a rethink next year.

Just sayin' as you have been around for a while on this forum, 9 years :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All very true but I'm now looking at about 2K for the upgrade. I'm not the sort that puts resale value before anything else. I believe in enjoying my money rather than worrying about how viable it is. If I tell you I am a motor boat enthusiast first and foremost that may explain my mindset as there's nothing less cost effective than a boat! Finally as the D40 is cat' D it's never going to be worth much anyway. Now you're going to tell me I'm wasting even more! Still appreciate your input though.

·
Administrator
12,997 Posts
A difficult question to answer on the wheels.

It does depend on the offset of the wheels and the overall diameter of the tyres on those wheels, different wheel widths will affect the overall tyre height.

As for overall height, standard sizes are 30.5", if you check out the sticky on the wheels and tyres section, 265/70/17 are 31.5" and will fit fine.

You will need to do some research using online tyre calculators and consider that going bigger than 31.5" will mean trimming the plastics to avoid rubbing.

I know what you mean about boats, add the word marine to something and add a zero to the price.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
It would be cheaper to have 2 wives, rather than having any kind of boat with an engine on sea water....

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Not just salt water, even ditch crawling boats seem to be expensive!
Yeah - one of my great friends has a canal barge that is supposed to be super-economical....
I heard all about the classic diesel engine that was more reliable than a sarsen stone...

Having any kind of boat appears to be akin to having a vampire-boat-bat with its fangs in your wallet...

Dare I say it? - It makes a far more luxurious (and never damp) 5th wheel look a bargain. Ours is for sale! Should I advertise it here, or is it a minority interest thing?

·
Registered
259 Posts
It would be cheaper to have 2 wives, rather than having any kind of boat with an engine on sea water....

It certainly wouldn't.....
Wife no.1 was expensive, wife no.2 is off the charts.....
Glad I can retreat to the cars in the garage for some sanity....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wheel tyre combo

Sorry, been away from the forum for a while. Just in case you're still pondering this one, I can tell you 18/285/60s will rub on full lock even with a 2.5" suspension lift. However if you fit 30mm wheel spacers it solves all the problems and makes the truck feel more stable. I know this as I have this combination.

Max

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was tempted originally with this set up, but the consensus on this forum seemed to be to avoid spacers.
So I did!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd modify "don't use spacers" to "don't use cheap spacers". Particularly avoid anything coming from China or India, material certificates are often forged.

If you buy some from a reputable company which should be supplied with high tensile bolts then there is no problem, and like I say the wider wheelbase makes a raised truck handle better. I wouldn't suggest anything more than 30mm.

·
Administrator
2,384 Posts
I'd modify "don't use spacers" to "don't use cheap spacers". Particularly avoid anything coming from China or India, material certificates are often forged.

If you buy some from a reputable company which should be supplied with high tensile bolts then there is no problem, and like I say the wider wheelbase makes a raised truck handle better. I wouldn't suggest anything more than 30mm.

Spacers replace one set of immediately-observable problems with another set of more subtle ones which, depending how you use your truck, you may or may not experience. It is the insidious nature of the issue that leads us to caution against it - for example, the most immediate issue is many jurisdictions will now find your truck illegal; another can be ESC calibration due to the higher cross-axle wheel speeds caused by the wider wheel track.

Unless you own a VDJ70 Landcruiser or Y61 coil-cab Patrol where the front and rear tracks don’t match, or you have some desperate need for 33” tyres, spacers are best limited to mall crawlers or the dustbin.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's true to say a spacer will increase loads on the top and bottom ball joints, but if the ball joints are in good condition they should be able to cope with the increase, I've had them on mine for 3 years with no problems and it's passed 3 MOTs (at Nissan garage) with them on, as well as the spacers being TUV approved in Germany. With respect to ESC I've increased the track by roughly 4%, besides using wheel speed the ESC also uses yaw angle and steering wheel position etc to detect a problem so I'm not sure a small change in one parameter would make a big difference but I'm no expert although I can say I've never had an ESC warning light come on.

Your last comment on "mall crawling" probably describes 90% of my driving, so I doubt I'm pushing my truck to the limits, it's hard in Surrey :)

·
Administrator
12,997 Posts
The most likely result is that a wider track puts more strain on the wheel bearings.

As many have experienced, these modern sealed bearings pressed into a hub tend to be less durable than the old school type with an adjusting nut and ability to apply more grease.

So spacers tend to make the wheel bearings wear out more quickly, particularly at the front.

·
Administrator
2,384 Posts
Some will experience issues, some won’t.

If, having full knowledge of how you will use your vehicle and the issues involved, you decide to fit spacers, then high-five from me! Each to their own.

If you’re asking me for advice though, I’d caution against it, unless it’s for a very specific purpose for which there is no other feasible solution (eg in the VDJ70 Cruisers, the non-matching tracks are a real issue in desert driving, and the only other option is a rear axle swap, which is not really feasible for most people).

In the context of the original post, I’d compromise on the tyre width to avoid needing spacers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts