Nissan-Navara.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I this funny thing going on; I can’t put the car in gear unless the engine is warm, the pedal is spongy and doesn’t go all the way back up sometimes.

Its also has issues with the brakes, same story doesn’t engage properly and feels spongy..

I have checked the reservoir and bleed the system. The fluid looks fairly fresh too.

Would a faulty brake cylinder cause this?

·
Administrator
17,067 Posts
The brake and clutch hydraulics are 2 separate systems, so you have two problems!

This is what I would do...

Buy a new clutch slave cylinder (not expensive off eBay) and bleed the clutch circuit. That will probably work. If not, get a new master cylinder and bleed again. I might think of buying both anyway.

Brakes.
Get someone to push the pedal and check the rubber hoses, you are looking for bulges in the hoses where the internal reinforcement has failed. If ok...

Can be hard to bleed, you will need a couple of litres to flush the system, I would suggest getting one of those kits that uses tyre pressure to push the fluid through.

·
Administrator
17,067 Posts
Thanks for that mate.

I found the drum brakes needs adjustment , perhaps that’s all it nees

new slave cylinder on its way
You should be able to auto adjust the drums by driving in reverse and braking fairly heavily, then do the same but pulling the handbrake this time.

If that doesn't work the little rubber plug needs removing and the little wheel turning with a screwdriver or similar.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I fitted new drums and pads and got them adjusted tight but the brakes still feels spongy.

I noticed that with the car off the brake pedal will hold pressure.
But with the car running the pedal sinks to the floor...

Am I looking at a brake booster or a master cylinder?

Cheers

·
Administrator
17,067 Posts
Strangely it is supposed to do that.

Many people have had problems bleeding the brakes, particularly the rears where it can hold a bubble or two which are hard to get rid of. Somebody managed to get it bled nicely pointing downhill...

If you are certain you have bled it all, suspect a flexible hose. If you intend keeping the vehicle for a while then upgrading to braided hoses is a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I have replaced clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, checked hoses and pipes. Bleed the system multible times.

The only thing i can find is what looks like a bent clutch pedal. (photo attached) not sure what would have caused this.

The clutch works but it just feels weird and sometimes doesnt pop back up into position. Will take the pedal assembly apart and see if I can straighten it out somehow..

Seems difficult to find new assemblies online with part no 46503-eb310. Might have to check with some wreckers.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,067 Posts
It does look like the clutch pedal arm is very close to the housing in the picture, could it be rubbing and stopping the pedal returning correctly?

Another check that the bulkhead/firewall is intact, they have been known to fracture around the clutch pedal in harsh conditions.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fire wall cracked and the pedal plate as well.
Managed to brace it up as a quick fix, the clutch pedal seems to travel much better now.

The pedal looks bent, not sure how it’s possible to bend the pedal.

I guess the only proper fix is to replace the pedal assembly and weld up the fire wall again.

But this will do for now.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,067 Posts
If it works I wouldn't worry!

I think the cause of the fracture and bent clutch pedal is the driver pushing to the floor on very bumpy terrain, it is tempting to brace yourself by pushing down hard...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
although the pedal feels more stable now I’m not quite happy with it. Is there anything inside the gearbox that could cause this issue of the pedal not returning all the way up and intermittent issues to get it in gear even with the clutch fully depressed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have checked it but it’s not bent.

compared to other Navaras it seems like the fork requires more power to be pushed it. Is it possible that the slave clutch is jamming?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts