Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am new to this forum i have a navara d22 2003 sometime has a rattling noise which i traced to one of the drive belts on the front of the engine has anyone else had this problem the noise goes if i pour water on the belts ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
D22 rattle

Hi
I've got a 2002 navara with an intermmitent rattle on the engine. Just had new belts fitted again 4th time in 4 years. The main dealer in Poole have said it's an on going problem with this model but don't do anything about it until it starts to rattle again, i'm a bit miffed that they charged me this time even though they seem to accept it's a nissan problem.
This seems to only happen during the coldest weather or on particularly cold mornings. Not much help but your not alone with your rattle.
Cheers
Steve. :wink:

·
Registered
566 Posts
If its a noise because of squeaky belts rather than bearings, you could try tipping on some chalk dust or a quick spray with some of the silicon spray that is specifically for belts. DO NOT USE WD-40 or any oil based products...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rattling noise

I have this noise on my Rally Raid. When I first heard it at 16,000 miles I had the truck RAC'd into the dealer as I was convinced it was timing chain rattle. The workshop controller came out, sprayed my belts with WD40 & hey presto, noise gone. He told me that it was very common for this to occur & as a dealer they had changed the chains on an engine only for the noise to occur 2,000 miles later & they subsequently discovered it was the belts. He nipped my belts up & commented that they have to be almost like a 'bow string' or they rattle. Personally I suffer with the noise as I feel I would prefer to have a little rattle in the cold weather than have to replace, alternator/water pump/air con compressor/idler or other associated parts. Lets face it the noise goes after a few minutes. Just buy some french chalk or a can of belt dressing if the noise bothers you.

Ken.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rattling noise

How does that work then??? :? I would have thought that Nissan fitted genuine belts during the manufacture of the vehicle, as mine were noisey @ 16,000 miles & even after tightening them up like bow strings they last about 5,000 miles then get noisey again. So why should new Nissan belts last 40,000 miles when the originals did not. My dealer told me to fit new belts to cure the noise, however this was chargeable because belts are a 'service item', even though there is obviously a design fault with them.

Spray them with belt dressing or use french chalk & tighten them up every service.

Ken

·
Registered
515 Posts
i replaced my belts from local autofactors around 4.50 each.they run better than genuine

·
Registered
12 Posts
Belts/rattle

The reason genuine belts last longer is because the V/profile of the belt sits in the pulley better, so it slots into the whole of the pulley. Another intersting thing and I do not know the reason for this is, belt noise happens faster on imported Navaras faster than on uk spec. I only know this through working in a dealership and seeing what comes through.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Guys

I have a d22 now on an 05 plate, it has this rattle when its started from cold (in the morning) it goes after about 2 mins but it doesn't sound like belts it sounds more like tappits in a petrol engine.
Is this the same noise as you describe or am I onto something else?

Thanks for any info I'm at my wits end with it, and will be heading to the warranty man soon.

·
Registered
515 Posts
grab a 12mm spanner adjust belts a quick tighten stops belts slappin in pulleys.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Neil
Thanks for the quick reply, sorry to sound like a pessamist but this noise doesnt sound "belty" it sounds "metally" does this seem like the noise you all talk of.

I will try the tightening to a degree though.
Thanks again

Adam

·
Registered
515 Posts
yes it sounds metalic i was sh!ttin meself till my mate said its belts either tighten or replace.you can use a belt dressing not wd40

·
Registered
163 Posts
petrolhead said:
Guys

I have a d22 now on an 05 plate, it has this rattle when its started from cold (in the morning) it goes after about 2 mins but it doesn't sound like belts it sounds more like tappits in a petrol engine.
Is this the same noise as you describe or am I onto something else?

Thanks for any info I'm at my wits end with it, and will be heading to the warranty man soon.
Relax - it's the belts. It's a really awful metallic "clack clack" noise - I was a bit worried when mine did it and got it straight back to the dealer. 24 hours and a new set of belts later and it's fine.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi Rich

2 of them, alterantor and fan..cost about £35.

Job is easy but make sure the belts are very tight i.e. bugger all movement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
was just about to post a new topic saying that i thought my tapets where making a awfull noise! but this looks to be the problem, doesn't half sound like a knackered tapet though!

so if i nip all my belts up and spray them with WD40 (this seems like a kinda bad idea though? surely the belts will slip?) then all should be good?

anyone recomend somethink better for the belts?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts