Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day guys,
I am new to this forum so humblest apologies if I started a new post that has already been dealt with, but here it is.
My 2006 D40 aventura has lost a lot of power and is producing lots of black smoke. I took it to my mechanic and this is what's been done so far. Diesel filter and air filter change, EGR blank, MAF sensor cleaned and ecu scanned but has no codes.
I don't hear the familiar whistle from the turbo and I don't feel the kick I normally get when it cuts in. Hills I usually climb in 4th gear I am now doing in 2nd. On stand still when the engine is revved, I can see the hose that leads to the intercooler on the side with air filter box swelling so I can see some boost is being produced on stand still. The engine and turbo has no strange noises.
When the above filter changes etc was done, the truck pulled good with no black smoke on heavy acceleration. Thought the problem was solved but it returned a few minutes later, disappeared for about 5 mins of ordinary driving and then returned. My D40 is the first of only two on the island so the mechanic is not used to navara d40 issues. I have the truck for a year now. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

G

·
0 Posts
First and foremost, clean the mass airflow sensor (MAF)
Do an ECU RESET, then please come back to us with your results so we can work from there.

Help and instructions can be found on Both topics by using the search bar at the top right of the screen.

Good luck and ask again if your unsure.
Make sure you use electrical contact cleaner or maf sensor cleaner for the maf... Anything else will destroy it .
:awesomework

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cleaned MAF as i posted and ecu was reset. All was done the same time the filters got changed and the EGR was blocked off, truck ran good for a short while and problem returned. I am about to check the actuator on the turbo to make sure it's working.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check your vacuum lines, one of mine running near the turbo was cracked. I did a simple replacement to the silicon (blue) lines, and solved the problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. Still no luck with solving the problem. I have vacuum up to the boost solenoid but no vacuum coming out the solenoid to the turbo. If I remove the vacuum line from solenoid that goes to the the turbo and hook it up the metal vacuum line that runs at the top back of the engine, the turbo spools up fine and there is boost again. So I took out the boost solenoid and cleaned it but still no boost. I put the solenoid in the other D40 and it works fine, I tried the solenoid from the other d40 in my D40 and it doesn't work. I did the same for the boost solenoid and still nothing. We checked to see if the solenoid is getting power and it is. Can anyone tell me what else to check? Lost!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The turbo is fine to me, when I hook the turbo up straight (by passing boost solenoid) it works and produces more than 30psi. The gauge goes up to 30 so that's as far as I can read but it works and produces enormous amts of boost

·
Registered
564 Posts
This test does not rule out that turbo ok
Check boost pressure when all vacuum are connected properly and let me know how much pressure you getting on with full throttle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe I have a very similar problem to yours although about 1 step further back than you.

After a bit of blowing on the boost control solenoid valve we got the actuator to move with the correct vacuum hose connected on start-up and first rev test, every other rev test it didn't move at all.
moves up and down fine with the other vacuum hose connected as you mentioned.

battery voltage is getting to the valve, next step tonight I'm going to test the valve as per the manual and see how it fairs. as you've said you swapped the valves with another and still had no luck!

If I get anywhere I'll report back, if you wouldn't mind doing the same ;)

cheers - G

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I made the donation and sent lil trucker a pm about it, so I will wait until he can send me the link and then see how I can help myself with this annoying issue this truck has!

·
Registered
28 Posts
driving me mental too! lol. if it comes to it and i need to replace it, i priced a new boost valve: £170+VAT (with friends discount) so would prefer to test as much as possible before buying one.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I maybe wrong here but on vws they run the same type of turbos and they have the same problems with the boost control
Have a look for n75 valves Iam pretty sure they would do the job
And you can pick up up at most breakers for a £5

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
Montserrat D40 said:
I made the donation and sent lil trucker a pm about it, so I will wait until he can send me the link and then see how I can help myself with this annoying issue this truck has!
hi did you get the link from LT

1 - 20 of 68 Posts