Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,
When I bought my Navara it in its defective state (rod through the block), the hazard lights never worked along with an intermittent fault on the central locking.
Looking through its full Nissan service history I kept seeing the recorded comments 'hazards lights not working' and ‘hazard light fuse replaced’.
So I knew this was a long-standing defect when I went to repair it.
As the flasher unit is common to, and used on both circuits I stripped out the front of the dashboard to get to it.
Having got there tested a few wires, connections and ‘fiddled’ about behind the dash, I replaced the fuse and although it all worked, however I wasn’t happy, because I had not really found a clear cause.
Having spent the last 3 months investigating the original cause, then strengthening my replacement engine to ensure it doesn't throw another rod, I finally got it on the road last Sunday.
4 days later suddenly the indicators stopped working but the hazards and central locking was OK, once again this latest problem led back to the flasher unit, so once again, off came the front of the dashboard.
As I was doing this I smelt burning, quickly off with the battery I reverted to my former life as an arson and fire investigator.
After disconnecting more items from the wiring I was able to pull it free and out of the dashboard to find (pictured below)
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i57/c ... 010417.jpg
An area of the loom that had burnt completely through, and was arcing out on the metal dash framing.
The right turn indicator wire had burnt right through, two other wires were 90% burnt through and another 3 had severe insulation damage.
Sorry for the bad photo.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i57/c ... 010431.jpg
The loom had not been tampered with and was still held in place by the original Nissan cable ties that I had to cut to free it.
Once found it was a reasonably straightforward repair to cut away the damaged wires, solder in, and re-insulate the new and damaged ones.
I also re-routed the loom and increased the insulation where it has to touch metal, this repair has held good.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i57/c ... 010441.jpg
The section of the dash loom involved controlled the following electrical items:
· Hazard lights
· Indicators - both ways
· Cigar lighter
· Drivers door central locking timer relay
· Three other doors central locking timer relay
· Entry system main control unit
So if you should suffer repeatedly blown fuses on, or non-working of these electrical items it may be yet another generic fault with Navara’s worth looking at first.
After the job my hands were cut to pieces, the edges of the sheet metal components behind the dash is ridiculously sharp, I suspect this was the original cause of the damage to the loom insulation.
Once again it shows a lack of professionalism by official Nissan workshops, true, fuses are a safety device but very rarely do they just blow, there is usually a cause, to repeatedly have the same circuit affected should have warranted an in depth inspection.
When I joined this group I was very aware of the passion Navara owners held for their cars, and went to great lengths to state that I was not slagging Nissans off, for fear of upsetting you, yet the more I understand the Nissan company attitude, and learn of the lamentable build quality, I am rapidly regretting leaving Lexus.
Sorry, but there it is,
Chris Vince

·
Registered
515 Posts
gonna change your name to lucky eddy.i had the headlight loom and relay burn out on my nav early last year.had to buy large lump of loom from breakers and solder in place.my wife phoned me at work said light wont turn off when i got home 3 hours later 1 light still on other off.looked under bonnet could see no fault dropped bonnet other light went off few minutes later smoke pouring out of bonnet.been ok since and never replaced any bulbs so some good bits. :lol:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am not surprised, everything is built to a budget and then the PR/marketing is supposed to brainwash us :roll:
Same with every manufacturer...Got to keep the shareholders happy (us)
It is a vicious circle perpetuated by our own greed for a better quality of life (total ******** in my book)
If mine starts burning, I will let the ******* burn, it is only a peice of metal with plastic and a paint covering :roll:
It`s people that matter, not mechanical things. 8)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ravofireman,
You sound like you are in the same 'business' I was?
I don't know if it is a common problem - yet?
At least you get a little bit of warning, non working of electricals, very acrid smell of smoke etc with a wiring fire, enough to get away from the car.
Nissan don't give a toss about their engines blowing up in the UK, and probably won't until some poor sods die on a motorway as a result of yet another Navara self destructing.
Regards,
Chris Vince

·
Registered
108 Posts
im currently having the same problem on my d22. after they replaced some sort of relay at service due to the fact the board meters were dead for about 3 minutes on cold start, now the left tail lamp, the open light buzzer and board instruments illumintion are all dead. i replaced the fuse 3 times and was burned instantly, therefore there is a shortcut somewhere. i will open the whole ******** as described here to investigate. im absolutelyfucking sure i will see the same **** i see here in photos. thanks chris for your hint. **** nissan. never ever we should buy anything from this crappy brand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts