Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really find the head unit on my Tekna a real let down.
When plugged into my iphone its slow to swap between music tracks and wants to update music every time I plug it in.
Are there any software updates available??
Anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mine is going in for a service on Friday and I've asked them to check for a software update to the head unit/media centre.

I believe there is one so will be interesting if they apply it.

I've also looked at replacing the unit completely, but no-one offers compatibility with the surround cameras so its a no-go at the moment

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I've also looked at replacing the unit completely, but no-one offers compatibility with the surround cameras so its a no-go at the moment
There's this one; X801D-U - Advanced Navigation with 1DIN chassis and 8” Capacitive Touch Screen. Not cheap though.

"Camera Connection & Built-in Controls for Multi-View Cameras
Camera Guide Line Adjustment
Rearview Camera Display Automatic Boot-up"

Personally, if I was going to change, I'd want a more open Android one, so you can add your own apps etc. So for the time being, I'll stick with the OEM.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
keep us posted on the software update.
As it is the sound that it produces is pretty good. Shame the function of it lets it down.

·
Registered
361 Posts
There's this one; X801D-U - Advanced Navigation with 1DIN chassis and 8” Capacitive Touch Screen. Not cheap though.

"Camera Connection & Built-in Controls for Multi-View Cameras
Camera Guide Line Adjustment
Rearview Camera Display Automatic Boot-up"

Personally, if I was going to change, I'd want a more open Android one, so you can add your own apps etc. So for the time being, I'll stick with the OEM.
Yes I have seen the Alpine unit before.

I don't think it works with the built-in factory surround cameras.

I spoke to Growl about adding compatibility in the past, as they seemed to think its just software, but they weren't prepared to invest the effort without more market interest.

And yes, I'd want Android as well

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
This looks like it does everything and appears to be plug'n'play. Pity it's Malaysian.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse brevity and mistakes.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Sorry guys. I only looked on my phone, and didn't get any reports. I've removed the links now.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
They responded to me on FB. Yes, it apparently works and they deliver to UK. I did a quick exchange using Google and it works out at about £450.

·
Registered
361 Posts
They've also sent me a picture of the surrond cameras and have confirmed they will work.

They will come on automatically be either selecting reverse, using a on-screen button or by pressing and holding the source button for 20 seconds.

I told them I don't have a source button so on Monday they are going to investigate how that could work on UK models.

It sounds pretty positive tho. Before I buy I'm going to ask about getting an upgrade to Android 7.0 and general security updates. Its not super important, but nice to know as it will end up and Internet connected device.

They also have two models:

http://hardstone.com.my/product/nissan-navara-p300-9-hd-screen-dsp-sound-on-android-6-0-by-hardstone-pd9047/

http://hardstone.com.my/product/nissan-navara-p300-10-2″-hd-screen-dsp-sound-on-android-6-0-pd9049/

The 10.2" model slightly obscures the hazard light button and vents. Wondering if I can live with this

·
Registered
165 Posts
They've also sent me a picture of the surrond cameras and have confirmed they will work.

They will come on automatically be either selecting reverse, using a on-screen button or by pressing and holding the source button for 20 seconds.

I told them I don't have a source button so on Monday they are going to investigate how that could work on UK models.

It sounds pretty positive tho. Before I buy I'm going to ask about getting an upgrade to Android 7.0 and general security updates. Its not super important, but nice to know as it will end up and Internet connected device.

They also have two models:

http://hardstone.com.my/product/nissan-navara-p300-9-hd-screen-dsp-sound-on-android-6-0-by-hardstone-pd9047/

http://hardstone.com.my/product/nissan-navara-p300-10-2″-hd-screen-dsp-sound-on-android-6-0-pd9049/

The 10.2" model slightly obscures the hazard light button and vents. Wondering if I can live with this
I'd be very wary of spending any money on those. Don't appear to have DAB, only FM for a start. I've had a couple of similar 'non branded' made in China headunits before, and they were awful. The user interface was terrible, the audio quality (on FM radio) was even worse, and the tuner circuit was too poor to pick up anything other than the very strongest stations. A.fter a while it stopped reading cds.

On the spec sheet they look really good, in reality they turned out to be very disappointing. A bit like my Navara then really!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'd be very wary of spending any money on those. Don't appear to have DAB, only FM for a start. I've had a couple of similar 'non branded' made in China headunits before, and they were awful. The user interface was terrible, the audio quality (on FM radio) was even worse, and the tuner circuit was too poor to pick up anything other than the very strongest stations. A.fter a while it stopped reading cds.

On the spec sheet they look really good, in reality they turned out to be very disappointing. A bit like my Navara then really!
You're right, they don't have DAB by the looks of it. Something else to ask about, but my Disco didn't have DAB so its not a deal breaker.

It is Android tho, so to a point, I should be able to make it look like I want.

I also can't remember I used a CD as anything more than a coaster or something to distract my 2 year old with

·
Registered
165 Posts
You're right, they don't have DAB by the looks of it. Something else to ask about, but my Disco didn't have DAB so its not a deal breaker.

It is Android tho, so to a point, I should be able to make it look like I want.

I also can't remember I used a CD as anything more than a coaster or something to distract my 2 year old with
It doesn't even have RDS on FM, and probably doesn't have TA functions either (if you use that). It's Android which means you could spend half the rest of you life hacking/modding it to work and look better, but I'm fairly sure you'll end up disappointed with it in the end.

Would be interested to see the pictures they sent you of the all around camera/view on the screen.

Other things it won't have - the bending graphic on the reversing camera, the sat nav next turn indication on the dash screen, speeding warnings, that daft ECO score thing (never changes on mine), and anything else that relies on comms with the rest of the vehicle electronics. A decent chance that the steering wheel controls will work though.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It doesn't even have RDS on FM, and probably doesn't have TA functions either (if you use that). It's Android which means you could spend half the rest of you life hacking/modding it to work and look better, but I'm fairly sure you'll end up disappointed with it in the end.

Would be interested to see the pictures they sent you of the all around camera/view on the screen.

Other things it won't have - the bending graphic on the reversing camera, the sat nav next turn indication on the dash screen, speeding warnings, that daft ECO score thing (never changes on mine), and anything else that relies on comms with the rest of the vehicle electronics. A decent chance that the steering wheel controls will work though.
I don't use the TA function so that is fine.

Having looked at the videos above I wouldn't worry about skinning it. Although I have an Android phone so it wouldn't take me long if I did want to.

Don't use the built in Sat Nav.

I could replace the speed camera warnings with Waze. I know where the local speed cameras are. When I'm in an unfamiliar location I'm probably going to have the SatNav running so no drama

The ECO score thing is completely and utterly pointless

Here is a pic of the cameras:

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So only time will tell if a large manufacturer will add a compatible aftermarket unit.
thanks for the replys tho..

·
Registered
361 Posts
Just thought I'd add to this, I've ordered the 10.2" unit.

I continued to speak to Hardstone about the unit, it does support RDS. There is a DAB dongle add-on that can be used with the unit and it will be getting a software upgrade this year.

I'll update when I get the unit

1 - 20 of 29 Posts