Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone with a brand new (within last 6 months) has any data on their adblue usage? I'm trying to work out if the supposed boffins at Nissan have been tinkering with the adblue system since the model launched. My 66 plate has a terrible thirst for the stuff, around 150-180 miles per litre. I've my truck for another year and am looking to see if any improvements have been made on the quiet (to save having to recall older models).

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
180 miles a litre is not normal. Of course it’s all subjective so it will depend on your type and style of driving. To get that high on usage I would imagine you are doing lots of low mileage trips and the engine isn’t getting up to temperature.

If not, I would get everything checked out. It seems a 10 litre top up lasts around 4K miles averagely from my reading on here.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
180 miles a litre is not normal. Of course it’s all subjective so it will depend on your type and style of driving. To get that high on usage I would imagine you are doing lots of low mileage trips and the engine isn’t getting up to temperature.

If not, I would get everything checked out. It seems a 10 litre top up lasts around 4K miles averagely from my reading on here.
What age is your Navara? Mine has been thoroughly checked and confirmed by Nissan to be within its expected usage.

·
Registered
369 Posts
What age is your Navara? Mine has been thoroughly checked and confirmed by Nissan to be within its expected usage.

Hi Donster

Mine is March 2017 I think. Just coming up to 15k miles.

So you do under 2000 miles roughly to a 10 litre top up? There must be another issue if so... perhaps a thermostat has gone making the ecu think that the engine isn’t up to temperature therefor adding more fuel trying to get it up to temps. Is the fuel consumption bad also?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Donster

Mine is March 2017 I think. Just coming up to 15k miles.

So you do under 2000 miles roughly to a 10 litre top up? There must be another issue if so... perhaps a thermostat has gone making the ecu think that the engine isn’t up to temperature therefor adding more fuel trying to get it up to temps. Is the fuel consumption bad also?
Fuel consumption is good 35mpg on average. Its been in the garage on a few occasions and everything is reporting normal. It was raised with Nissan and they admitted that the Adblue was a bolt on addition made by Bosch. They thought that maybe moisture was settling on sensors within the exhaust. That's why I'm trying to find out if they have made any changes on later models to get better consumption rates, without having to do a recall for everyone else.

·
Administrator
11,515 Posts
Just a thought, I would be a little wary of the comments made by the local service department at the Nissan dealer. We have seen such comments in the past which have later been denied (unrelated to this).
Worth getting a firm commitment, preferably in writing.

·
Registered
358 Posts
38k miles 2016

Nissan filled my adblue during the 36k service, but I had clocked 11k miles since my last refill to Nissan filling it

I had poor adblue consumption until I fitted a crispmod EGR delete cable which has dramatically reduced the adblue consumption (apparently)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
38k miles 2016

Nissan filled my adblue during the 36k service, but I had clocked 11k miles since my last refill to Nissan filling it

I had poor adblue consumption until I fitted a crispmod EGR delete cable which has dramatically reduced the adblue consumption (apparently)
Of course it will cut consumption as the ECU is being fooled into under fuelling and will drop Ad blue accordingly as it is injected in relation to fuel.
On a more environmental perspective no wonder the Diesel is doomed! Hope you never get stopped in a spot check as its pretty obvious. Cant help thinking that running one will eventually cause issues due to optimum fuelling not occurring.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I spoke directly to the top Nissan boss in the UK about it. Its legit.

What is Legit? You mean the bolt on part? Yes .......but I mean your adblue consumption. 10 litres going in 2000 miles is way wrong. No matter what Nissan U.K. boss says.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
July 2017 Tekna 300, still averaging 350miles / litre, as it has from day one.
That's what I'm looking for, not the ins and outs of Adblue consumption, but figures relating to the age of your np300 - Thanks

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
That's what I'm looking for, not the ins and outs of Adblue consumption, but figures relating to the age of your np300 - Thanks

It is a variable and depends on how it is driven . For example we have two tractors they are identical but one uses 40% more adblue than the other but less diesel . Neither of them is wrong its just how it is.
It should have been set up when the engine was built and tested to conform to the standards and is individual for the engine.
To be honest in large commercial diesels Add blue was the best thing that happened in the last 10yrs its meant a return to proper engine outputs rather than so much diesel going into keeping down emissions .

·
Registered
107 Posts

July 2017 Tekna 300, still averaging 350miles / litre, as it has from day one.
Mine is similar, warning comes on at 2800 - 3000 but at that point it only takes 9 litres so I leave it another 500 or so.

Had a slightly worrying situation last time, I let the countdown get to about 300 miles before refilling, so 10 litres didn't take it up to the top and the warning refused to go off. Got down to about 70 miles. In the end I bought another can and filled it to the brim which did the trick, but shouldn't have been necessary if the system worked properly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It is a variable and depends on how it is driven . For example we have two tractors they are identical but one uses 40% more adblue than the other but less diesel . Neither of them is wrong its just how it is.
It should have been set up when the engine was built and tested to conform to the standards and is individual for the engine.
To be honest in large commercial diesels Add blue was the best thing that happened in the last 10yrs its meant a return to proper engine outputs rather than so much diesel going into keeping down emissions .
Yes, I agree there.
If I drive like a loon or high speed motorway / acceleration with foot to the floor, fuel consumption rapidly goes up, along with the consumption of adblu.

I personally have modified the way I drive and now get my figures repeatedly.
My only issue is the drive to / from work me is around ten minutes, which does the engine or economy no favours.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes, I agree there.
If I drive like a loon or high speed motorway / acceleration with foot to the floor, fuel consumption rapidly goes up, along with the consumption of adblu.
Strangely I find the way I drive my Nav makes very little difference to the fuel consumption, only about 3mpg difference over a tankful between driving like a pussy and driving proper fast, 28 vs 31 mpg. In my previous Mercedes the difference was huge, I could get an extra 10mpg by taking it really easy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ok well I just had my worst ADBLu performance ever...just over a 1000 motorway miles, now booked in under warranty , the tech guy was a bit cagey but was not surprised....somethings going on

1 - 20 of 37 Posts