Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Firstly I love my nav, (2017 Tekna auto with diff lock option) hit 33k and she’s not missed a beat!

Recently been in a Ford Expedition in the states which had a B&O sound system in it which sounded amazing!

My question is; does anyone have any speaker upgrade advice for the NP? I have a completely standard system at the minute.

Look forward to the advice........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
The standard speakers are pretty average. I’m working my way through them gradually.

Firstly you need to decide if you are keeping the oem headunit. I decided I would as I like the around view cameras too much to lose them.

I may add an in-line amp over time but I must say, I have had a really good improvement just upgrading the front speakers. The dash mounted mid/high is next.

The door speakers are 9x6 and literally anything you exchange them for will be a huge upgrade. If keeping the oem headunit the key figure you are looking for with any speaker is sensitivity. You want to find a pair with the highest figure possible so they are easily driven by the factory system. I used Hertz. I found 95db the most sensitive speaker in that size. I made mdf mounts for them as the factory speakers are integral to their mounts and they need standing off the door skin a good way to get clearance at the rear. 24mm worked for me. (2 x 12mm glued together) I then sound deadened the entire area. I covered the inside of the door skin the outside, the new adapters, literally everything I could get sound deadening on. This is the absolute key to tight non baggy bass which the oem speakers suffered from.

Now they are run in, they are starting to sound great even without amping.... the dash mounts are next and then the rears with a similar process to the fronts but with 6.5” round speakers.

I usually add a sub bass in my installs, and there is room under the rear bench using the tool storage openings.... and under the passenger seat but both will need careful selection and installing. The bass is so much better now I may not add a sub, but the dash mounts have to go as they are not good.

I have a Harmon Kardon system in the wife’s car and my in home set up over 5k. I appreciate good sound and I will achieve a huge improvement in the Nav....... it’s so subjective..... but if you want to get near the B&O system you heard, you will need to remove everything oem and start afresh. Probably adding new sites for speakers to gain some staging as the current set up in the nav struggles with mid range, it’s all shrill top & baggy bottom as stock!

Sorry to waffle.... hopefully something there is useful!!

:D

·
Registered
362 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
The standard speakers are pretty average. I’m working my way through them gradually.

Firstly you need to decide if you are keeping the oem headunit. I decided I would as I like the around view cameras too much to lose them.

I may add an in-line amp over time but I must say, I have had a really good improvement just upgrading the front speakers. The dash mounted mid/high is next.

The door speakers are 9x6 and literally anything you exchange them for will be a huge upgrade. If keeping the oem headunit the key figure you are looking for with any speaker is sensitivity. You want to find a pair with the highest figure possible so they are easily driven by the factory system. I used Hertz. I found 95db the most sensitive speaker in that size. I made mdf mounts for them as the factory speakers are integral to their mounts and they need standing off the door skin a good way to get clearance at the rear. 24mm worked for me. (2 x 12mm glued together) I then sound deadened the entire area. I covered the inside of the door skin the outside, the new adapters, literally everything I could get sound deadening on. This is the absolute key to tight non baggy bass which the oem speakers suffered from.

Now they are run in, they are starting to sound great even without amping.... the dash mounts are next and then the rears with a similar process to the fronts but with 6.5” round speakers.

I usually add a sub bass in my installs, and there is room under the rear bench using the tool storage openings.... and under the passenger seat but both will need careful selection and installing. The bass is so much better now I may not add a sub, but the dash mounts have to go as they are not good.

I have a Harmon Kardon system in the wife’s car and my in home set up over 5k. I appreciate good sound and I will achieve a huge improvement in the Nav....... it’s so subjective..... but if you want to get near the B&O system you heard, you will need to remove everything oem and start afresh. Probably adding new sites for speakers to gain some staging as the current set up in the nav struggles with mid range, it’s all shrill top & baggy bottom as stock!

Sorry to waffle.... hopefully something there is useful!!

:D
Any pictures of this install? ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have upgraded my NP300 Stereo with a Kenwood DMX 8019S with the AERPRO kit Nissan Navara 2015- NP300 (ST/STX) | Aerpro all steering wheel controls work , and Pioneer Speakers the Fronts I used TSA692C and the rears I used TSA1670F 6.5 ''
I reused the speaker mountings as they were easier to cut down and attach the new speakers to using some Stikaflex and a hot glue gun to fix and hold the rear of the speakers ,also I was able to use the plug that was part of the standard speakers ,
Improved the sound 100%

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have upgraded my NP300 Stereo with a Kenwood DMX 8019S with the AERPRO kit Nissan Navara 2015- NP300 (ST/STX) | Aerpro all steering wheel controls work , and Pioneer Speakers the Fronts I used TSA692C and the rears I used TSA1670F 6.5 ''
I reused the speaker mountings as they were easier to cut down and attach the new speakers to using some Stikaflex and a hot glue gun to fix and hold the rear of the speakers ,also I was able to use the plug that was part of the standard speakers ,
Improved the sound 100%
any pics of installation before closing door panel up ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
No i'm sorry I never thought about taking pictures . but I cut out the old speakers and cut down the tops to make them level,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Posting for reference of anyone like myself that comes across this thread and does the same swap.

Pink is positive on the left speaker, purple is positive on the right - at least on a 19 Reg Tekna.

I made the mistake of asking google about the door speaker wiring mid-job, and it dug out a forum post somewhere that said the green and light green are positive.
Fast forward to testing it out for the first time and there was a suspicious lack of bass and low mids. Initial disappointment, but then after some thought, knew they must be out of phase with the rears given I'm sure the bass was even weaker than stock.
Swapped the wiring the next day (with a 9v battery check on the stock speakers just to be sure), and now pretty content with the results. Though this is just as likely to have sparked off a larger project than entirely satiated me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys!

Following along but a little confused. Do you need an adapter / spacer to fit the new 6x9 speakers in the front or is an adapter only required for the rears?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used the old speaker housings ,cut out the existing speakers and plane off the part where the old speakers glued ,also had to adapt the new speakers to fit .

·
Registered
3 Posts
What do you mean by 'adapt'?

Do you know of an off the self mount / adapter so I do don't need to butcher anything?

Worried my enthusiasm will outrun my skill and I make a mess! Haha.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You can buy 9x6 mounting blocks made from MDF but the original ones are better as they already have the plug built into the housings and the screw holes ,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts