Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for some nu-shooz on the Navara and after reading the plethora of threads i've decided to go for 265/65r18 in an AT as I don't want to do any mods or have any rubbing issues

The problem is i'm basically tight and don't want to spend circa £180 per corner of BFG's (I know they are good....) and have been looking at these:

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m65b0s2350p159996/Radar_Tyres_SUV_4x4_Radar_AT5_Renegade_Radar_AT_5_-_265_65_R18_114H_OWL_TL_Fuel_Eff_:_E_Wet_Grip:_E_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_72dB

These are £93 quid a corner and look reasonable. Read a few reviews from 'Merica and Oz and they seem to be a decent enough tyre, was wondering if anyone has had them/got them and can give some feedback? I work in telecoms and spend a lot of time in fields and rough farm tracks and need something that can plug away and take a bit of stick. I have the Yokohama Geolandars (G015) on my old Rangie and they have been really good - hard wearing and quiet and good even wear; however they aren't great in the rough stuff (plus around £130 per corner in this size)

·
Administrator
2,384 Posts
It's time for some nu-shooz on the Navara and after reading the plethora of threads i've decided to go for 265/65r18 in an AT as I don't want to do any mods or have any rubbing issues

The problem is i'm basically tight and don't want to spend circa £180 per corner of BFG's (I know they are good....) and have been looking at these:

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m65b0s2350p159996/Radar_Tyres_SUV_4x4_Radar_AT5_Renegade_Radar_AT_5_-_265_65_R18_114H_OWL_TL_Fuel_Eff_:_E_Wet_Grip:_E_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_72dB

These are £93 quid a corner and look reasonable. Read a few reviews from 'Merica and Oz and they seem to be a decent enough tyre, was wondering if anyone has had them/got them and can give some feedback? I work in telecoms and spend a lot of time in fields and rough farm tracks and need something that can plug away and take a bit of stick. I have the Yokohama Geolandars (G015) on my old Rangie and they have been really good - hard wearing and quiet and good even wear; however they aren't great in the rough stuff (plus around £130 per corner in this size)
Beware of asking for tyre reviews from Oz where our speed limits are low, our drainage is good, we think 20C is cold, and most cars will NEVER see snow or ice.

Radar are a C tier brand. Of the C tier brands, they are one of the more established and reputable ones, but like all of these discount tyres, they use cheaper compounds that either don’t grip well when cold/wet or don’t wear well (or both).

If your choice is this or stretch the life of tyres that really deserve to be retired, then these are better. But I think you’ll regret this choice - if not immediately, then eventually.

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
Can't agree more with all of the above.

Radar tyres are super budget category. But, they are one of the best in that group.

Personally, I would save money elsewhere.

UK reviews, good site (although only one review for this tyre): Radar Renegade AT 5

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. My other option would be the Maxxis Bravo AT771 as they seem to have a decent enough reputation and reviews are usually pretty good. Not a huge choice in this size though!

·
Administrator
2,384 Posts
Hmmm. My other option would be the Maxxis Bravo AT771 as they seem to have a decent enough reputation and reviews are usually pretty good. Not a huge choice in this size though!
Maxxis are a better choice than Radar, absolutely.

Don’t let us talk you out of your dream car, its just tyres are a thing where people get really hung up on cost, but the difference between four good ones and four cheap ones is less than a tank or two of diesel sometimes - it’s easy to lose perspective.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Maxxis are a better choice than Radar, absolutely.

Don’t let us talk you out of your dream car, its just tyres are a thing where people get really hung up on cost, but the difference between four good ones and four cheap ones is less than a tank or two of diesel sometimes - it’s easy to lose perspective.
And a huge difference to your safety, something never to scrimp on . All these ATs look great but they turn into different beast on wet slippery tarmac roads. Do people ever work out what they cost in extra fuel over the life of a set of tyres if you do the maths something approaching 450 litre of extra diesel!!!! There are huge savings to be made paying that bit extra up front. Never have been a huge fan of any AT tyres however at least with BFG one set will also outlast two sets of the cheaper ATs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts