Nissan-Navara.net banner

Odd Engine Sound - 2016 Nissan Navara D23

98 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  NAT990
Good morning all from Australia!

Question regarding an odd sound coming from my 2016 Nissan Navara NP300 D23.
Diesel, twin turbo engine, Automatic, 188000kms.

Description:
  • Sounds metallic/like an electrical arcing sound, intermittent, does not coincide with load/acceleration.
  • Sounds like a rattle, but again does not change when under load or acceleration.
  • Coming from the battery side of the engine, worse when cold, better once warm.
  • No change to idle, nil change to fuel usage, nil hesitation under acceleration etc.
  • Snorkel install approx. three weeks ago, new glow plug install approx. two weeks ago (had a OBD fault).
  • Snorkel install opposite side of engine, noise first noticed after install, but only as was intently listening at time.
  • Weather is currently winter, so unsure if cold related?
  • Have had an intermittent burning rubber smell that comes and goes, randomly.

Videos are as below, the videos makes it sound much louder then it is.

Thoughts? Ideas? Things to check?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Hi I would try removing the fan belt and running the engine to see if it’s related to the idlers water pump etc.
There's a known fault on the earlier D23 where a cooling pipe gets rubbed by the fan belt near the AC compressor, worth a check.
Hi I would try removing the fan belt and running the engine to see if it’s related to the idlers water pump etc.
All fan belts in general? And if noise leaves, it's fan related, or?
There's a known fault on the earlier D23 where a cooling pipe gets rubbed by the fan belt near the AC compressor, worth a check.
I have seen that before, however cooling pipes all look okay. Can't find anything rubbing.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts