Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I noticed if I put the Nav in 4LO it turns ESP off, so what effect does ESP have with traction etc when off roading?

Any other tips (other than don't get stuck!) would be most appreciated too.

I've just swapped my AT3's, for a set of 265/70/17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx tyres. The AT3's were fine, I just fancied something a bit chunkier tread pattern and the AT3's clogged with mud quite easily.

I did a search but couldn't find anything for tips when off-roading a Nav.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
ESP brakes wheels to avoid wheelspin or skids, and will back off power, but if you are in 4wd lo, you are shoving a lot more torque through driven wheels and will thus potentially burn out the brakes as the system kicks in. Apart from that, ESP should work in 2wd and 4wd ok, and improve traction in theory...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so just let it do it's thing and it's helping rather than hindering off road driving?

Any other tips for taking the Nav off road?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Ok, so just let it do it's thing and it's helping rather than hindering off road driving?

Any other tips for taking the Nav off road?

Thanks
Generally when offroad and in 4wd knock out the ESP as it will kill the revs when a wheel starts to slip .ESP helps on a marginal surface as it will brake a spinning wheel and put more drive through the gripping wheel however when you really need some serious traction its a real hindrance as the wheel having the brake applied causes increased resistance to forward travel and makes matters worse if you really want to see the difference use it till you slip and cannot move and then take it out invariably you will get out. From driving discoveries for many years with permanent 4wd you always hit the ESP button when it got slippery off road it became second nature
We use 4wd many times a day in mud this time of year and get used to its limitations most times we will knock out ESP routinely when we put in 4wd. A word of warning if you dont put it back in when your back on the road you very soon are made aware of what the ESP does and things get very interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts