Nissan-Navara.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Thinking about getting or making an offroad trailer, for carrying the gear, Dogs travel in the boot... I want the axle to be the same as my pathfinder, been looking at the expedition trailers on the net and look class
I would probably get a 2nd hand trailer and change the axle.
I have found a place online that make axles to suit customer needs, but said i would ask here if anyone has done it before....
I imagine getting a navara back axle would be a heavy way to go about things.
something like these
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=expedition+trailer&biw=1366&bih=667&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwo7Dcwc3KAhXEzxQKHSZaDaoQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1
Any advice??

·
Premium Member
15,733 Posts
I would have thought you need the unsprung weight kept to a minimum. So ideally the axle should be as light and as possible.

How about just making up a beam axle and use new D40 front wheel hub/bearings to mount D40 wheels? You could use some lightweight leafsprings to mount it all. The box itself could be built however you wanted it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have thought you need the unsprung weight kept to a minimum. So ideally the axle should be as light and as possible.

How about just making up a beam axle and use new D40 front wheel hub/bearings to mount D40 wheels? You could use some lightweight leafsprings to mount it all. The box itself could be built however you wanted it.

Are the front hubs expensive? I was thinking of finding a cheapish light trailer and change the axle.
thanks for reply

·
Registered
137 Posts
Trailers need to be kept to the new regulations that came in a couple of years ago so if your making up a trailer make sure you know what weight your aiming to tow as if the combined weight of the trailer plus load is more than 750kg in must be braked. A home made trailer must also comply with the regulations and have the correct design and weight/load identification plates. If your going with the brake trailer make sure you don't exceed the maximum trailer weight and or the combined trailer/load and truck laiden weight as you could find yourself on the wrong side of the law, so make sure you research the legal side of towing. There is also restrictions on weight if the use is business related i.e a sign written trucks, and if your truck is part of a fleet and the fleet has a hauliage lisence you need to check with the transport manager of the firm as the restrictions can effect the company hauliage lisence if you get it wrong and your truck may have to be fitted with a tacho if the weight is too much for the hauliage lisence restrictions. I have a copy of the regulation guidelines and I'll post the details when I've cleaned out the office.

Gavin

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Ronan, the rear axle from a front wheel drive van such as the Peugeot Boxer, Fiat Ducato etc is good for this kind of thing. Quite sturdy , no diff casing and can be cut down if necessary.

·
Premium Member
15,733 Posts
Trailers need to be kept to the new regulations that came in a couple of years ago so if your making up a trailer make sure you know what weight your aiming to tow as if the combined weight of the trailer plus load is more than 750kg in must be braked. A home made trailer must also comply with the regulations and have the correct design and weight/load identification plates. If your going with the brake trailer make sure you don't exceed the maximum trailer weight and or the combined trailer/load and truck laiden weight as you could find yourself on the wrong side of the law, so make sure you research the legal side of towing. There is also restrictions on weight if the use is business related i.e a sign written trucks, and if your truck is part of a fleet and the fleet has a hauliage lisence you need to check with the transport manager of the firm as the restrictions can effect the company hauliage lisence if you get it wrong and your truck may have to be fitted with a tacho if the weight is too much for the hauliage lisence restrictions. I have a copy of the regulation guidelines and I'll post the details when I've cleaned out the office.

Gavin

Some interesting points to consider. This could kill off any thought of building a new trailer from scratch.

A couple of sites to look at;

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/vehicletype/trailers.asp

http://www.armitagetrailers.com/trailerlaw.htm

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for looking out the info Keith it saves me having to tidy the office to find it, the rules and regs have changed a lot over the years and there is more to it than the good old days of bolting in an axle and a drawbar and making it pretty. last year the police in our area had a crack down and were pulling a lot of the farmers and many sign written pick ups with trailers. The company I used to work for cracked down too on what we could tow as the pick up's weighed more than the vans and the vans were allowed to tow higher weights which is crazy but it was down to the hauliage lisence restrictions and VOSA tacho requirements. we had to sign a declaration that we would stay within the legal towing regs and the hauliage lisence but the upshot was I bought a good Ifor Williams GD85 brake trailer and I've not sign written my own truck so I don't draw too much attention from the police.

Gavin

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Bearing in mind, this member is in Ireland, but generally the rules are the same as it's an EU directive.

The best place to find out is through these sites.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/About-your-Vehicle/Example-of-non-Dup/Trailers-/Legal-Requirements-for-towing-trailers-/

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle Std Leg/Information Notes/Light Trailer Stakeholder Note.pdf

http://www.nsai.ie/

Basically you can build anything you want, as long as it's within the regulations and you can get a certificate for it, easy peasy.......:roll:

Just go to a scrapyard, look for a D40, there's a few that are already broken in half so the job is already started, weld a towbar onto whatever's left of the rear chassis, leaving the tub in place and Robert is your mothers brother.

Navman Rich did a nice one at one stage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wee Bro moved to Australia, he was into his off-roaders at home here, built this off-road camper to tow behind the "Pathie".....some photos...hopefully!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers for replies guys.
Checked rsa website and currently small car trailers
Aren't tested... and trailers built after 2012 or 13need to be certified.
So... if I get a slightly older trailer and change the axle,
Technically I am not building one......
Anyone ever fit navara hubs to a beam axle off a caddy van???

·
Super Moderator
4,572 Posts
My trailer is a bog standard normal 750kg trailer with pcd adaptors on the existing hubs to fit rangerover wheels!
never had it extreme off road but it runs fine over rough ground, tree roots, boggy fields ect...
My dad made the adapters for me a few years ago at work but he's since retired
There is a guy on ebay that custom makes them though

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spoke to one company who can do toyota and landrover hubs, but not nissan.

Can make a beam and bolt the hubs to it, would work, will have a look for hub adaptors on ebay.....

·
Super Moderator
4,572 Posts
Can you not just get some 16" 4x100 pcd wheels and fit big tires onto standard off the shelf trailer suspension/hubs

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Can you not just get some 16" 4x100 pcd wheels and fit big tires onto standard off the shelf trailer suspension/hubs
+1

Although I've just refurbed an ifor Williams 8x5 tipper, and I must of spent around £300 on the running gear and brakes alone (twin axle).

a brake drum/bearing alone is £80 and there's no cheaper alternatives (the 300 above is without drums)

I don't get why for the sake of having the same wheels it's totally compromising the build.

either go the actual trailer parts route (which I think might be too expensive), or get a rear axle off a ford fiesta or similar and fit with 16" alloys or steels and carry an extra spare wheel.

Al

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
the idea with expedition trailers is get the same wheels as the tow car that way you can cut down on spare tyres, personally i would get a axle from a 4x2 japanese pickup they usually have the same pcd and are 6 bolt so a mazda toyota etc widens the options a bit

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had a quick read through this thread and just wanted to add, under the unbraked weight trailers tend to be fitted with a fixed hitch unlike larger braked trailers that can rotate, off road a fixed hitch is very dangerous as there is little rotation on the ball and its very easy to either pop off the hitch or worse still roll the trailer and tow car. We often see the latter in Morocco with light weight camping trailers.

We use proper off road hitches by Treg or Ozhitch and they work wonderfully but there not compatible with a 50mm ball hitch.

As pointed out try and use the same wheels as the tow car, saves space and weight plus if the worse you can drag a trailer with a flat but your going nowhere with the flat on the tow car.

Suspension is a personal choice but we use the hub from the tow car, less spares and again can be cannibalized if need be. Some vehicles even use a subframe front end so you can used the whole package (lock off the steering to straight ahead).

·
Administrator
2,384 Posts
Had a quick read through this thread and just wanted to add, under the unbraked weight trailers tend to be fitted with a fixed hitch unlike larger braked trailers that can rotate, off road a fixed hitch is very dangerous as there is little rotation on the ball and its very easy to either pop off the hitch or worse still roll the trailer and tow car. We often see the latter in Morocco with light weight camping trailers.

We use proper off road hitches by Treg or Ozhitch and they work wonderfully but there not compatible with a 50mm ball hitch.

As pointed out try and use the same wheels as the tow car, saves space and weight plus if the worse you can drag a trailer with a flat but your going nowhere with the flat on the tow car.

Suspension is a personal choice but we use the hub from the tow car, less spares and again can be cannibalized if need be. Some vehicles even use a subframe front end so you can used the whole package (lock off the steering to straight ahead).

You can buy a hitch called a Hyland hitch which allows plenty of articulation and still uses a 50mm ball coupling.

I have a Trigg (similar to Treg) hitch on my trailer, but I reckon the best hitch on the market is the Hitch Ezy, followed closely by the broadly similar McHitch auto coupler. Not sure if these are legal outside Australia though. The Hitch Ezy wins my vote because it does not move the attachment point any further rearward than the original 50mm ball would have been, saving some precious download (noting that you have to reduce payload pretty significantly on most models of Nav once you add much weight to the ball).

·
Registered
812 Posts
New trailer and regs very difficult. Use wheel adaptors to use nav wheels and keep trailer as bought with all the correct features. Use towing mirrors if necessary you need to be able to see 4 meters each side of the trailer and 20 meters back,
The fuzz are red hot on this this year and weights so tow at your own risk. The fines are quite stiff. Also company cars will need tacos (with out beef) and if you run a business it's classed as that even if you don't put cost through the tax system or vat system VOSA do not work innocent until proved guilty the work guilty until proved innocent . And that's a fact.
That make the customs and excise departments look like pussies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts